LG Tone+ Bluetooth headset HBS-730 microphone problem.

stevesobol

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
So... this isn't an Android problem.

I have an HTC Droid DNA, my personal phone, and I also own an iPhone 5s, my business phone, and I'm having the exact same problem with my iPhone. I actually use my Tone Pro much more often with the iPhone than with the Droid.

It's not an Android problem. If it's not a hardware problem, then it is a problem with the unit's firmware, but either way, the problem lies with the headset, not Android.

Ralphling

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I concur. I'm now on my second LG HBS730 Bluetooth Stereo headset and I've had the same problem on both of them.
I previously had an LG HBS700 set which gave me awesome service for two years, including my accidentally putting it through the washing machine, (all i did was dry it out and away it went again). Unfortunately eventually some of the buttons stopped working, so enthuised by my experience with the 700, I invested in the 730 through Amazon (again). However, the first set gave me exactly the problem described above - microphone cutting out mid call. So Amazon gave me a refund and I got a replacement set - same problem :-(
This renders the phones virtually useless for answering calls as you never know when the person on the other end is going to stop being able to hear you. Especially not-much-help if you're using them as a hands free kit for driving and not able to leap to your phone to disconnect the headphones and use your handset instead.

Come on LG - sort it out. It's otherwise an awesome product!

Danielle Hanna1

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Have any of you called LG? I have called 3 times and they say manually pairing the device should help. (Unpair Bluetooth from your device/ turn off bluetooth/press and hold call button2 seconds...turn blue tooth on/light should be blue/then choose your bluetooth...they say it should work...I'm going to test this theory. Ugh. The work around you all were trying to do...is simply unacceptable. The amount of money we spend on their product...we shouldn't have to do a damn work around. Call them! I paid too much money for a damn mic to go out when on wifi. Or for my wifi to disconnect when on this bluetooth. Ijs. Call or email them #RAGEON!!

LGbad

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Please let us know if this theory works. I'm really in the hate mode for LG because of this failure to address this issue. This same headset is now in Best Buy stores and everywhere, and I want to tell everyone about this problem. It did not happen with the old 700 model, but this 730 model is a total pain in the a--

Okay, just after posting this an hour or so ago, there is an update for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phone for Verizon to 4.4.4 -- Guess I'll see if that helps as the update is supposed to help with bluetooth.

Last edited:

framncru

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Update: I kept the device despite its problem. The mic continued to be a intermittent problem. I recently upgraded to GalaxyS5. Mic has not been a problem, yet. However, some of the headset buttons don't work with the new phone. I was told LG used to manufacture crappy stereo equipment under the name GOLDSTAR. I won't be spending any more of my $ on LG. Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread. Lets do what we can to help others make wise investments. "Friends don't let friends buy junk!"

framncru

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
This thread took a while to gain attention. I checked it for a few days after my initial post, then forgot about it for a while. I only found out about the Wi-Fi work around last night. The headset began to perform better, meaning incidence of Mic failure, after a while. I didn't know why, but now that I have read this thread, I think it may be because I was having some issues with my Wi-Fi and changed the channel from 6 to 11. Thinking back, that is about the same time the device began performing better. That was before I changed phones from galaxy s3 to s5. But now that I have changed phones, the thing won't voice dial, voice text, or voice search. I have BTreader+ installed. Strangely enough, I downloaded
BTreader+ from the Google play store. Both my s3 and s5 wouldn't install the app unless I DISABLE the "only download apps from Google play store" setting. The first time I called LG they denied the app was theirs. The second time they admitted it was their app, but offered no solution. I didn't ever install it on the s3, but have it installed on the s5. It has no effect on the voice features that are not functioning properly.

Posted via the Android Central App

LGbad

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Okay, it's not Dec 21 (19 days after the 4.4.4 update), and so far the issue has not occurred again. Maybe that was the fix for me. Don't know.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phone now with Verizon update to 4.4.4

Safarinate

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a Lg -750 for my wife for xmas she would love the use of it but is sooo pissed that the dang mic keeps going out..... I did some reviews of this headset to see if this one was ok or would it be worth the extra $40 for the 800 model ... i saw everyone raved at the 750 ... wish i saw this before i wasted my time and money on garbage i think motorola makes one similar to the LG i will look to see if my S3 has updated to the new 4.4.4. but this sounds to be a transistor prob in the headset like a timed fuse....

Allison Grant

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
I bought a Galaxy S5 in December 2014. I have been using my LG Tone HBS-730 that used when I had my Galaxy S3. I started having the microphone issue shortly after purchasing the GS5 and thought that the issue was with the headset because I never had the issue with the GS3. I purchased a different headset from Amazon (Symaxio MWS-730). It looks and functions exactly like the LG Tone and pretty much costs the same but I wanted to try a different brand. I received them yesterday and to my surprise I'm having the exact same microphone issue. Different headset manufacturer but the same issue. I have concluded that the issue is with the phone. I am going to try the advice given by "jvg333". I will keep track of when this issue occurs (whether on wifi or 4G LTE) and I will post again in a few days.

gwilson1120

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem and if they cannot solve it, back it goes. I would think Amazon is getting a load of these back! Have you found another option? There are a number of knock-offs which may work better?

Brian Griebel

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same issue as well. I am using a Motorola Ultra, bought the generic version as well thinking the LG version was failing and have the same issue. Verizon sent me a different phone a few months back and it has the same problem. My work phone is a 4 year old flip phone and I never have a problem. Two coworkers have the LG 730 as well, one has an iPhone 5s and and the other has used a Motorola Maxx and now has a Samsung Note 4 and they do not have issues. It is so frustrating because no one can really say for sure if it is an adroid issue or a LG issue.

rdl1106

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
It is interesting that someone has used a Motorola Maxx without the mic issue. I have a Maxx and it definitely did have the mic issue. I am using Motorola Buds now with no problem.

dyfink

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm glad I finally found this thread, read it and followed other's advice. I have had this problem with both the LG Tone 730 and LG Tone 750 on my current phone, Droid Maxx, as well as my last phone, Droid RAZR. In installed Llama a few days ago and after playing around with it to get it set up properly it seems to be working, though only time will tell for sure. As per GSDer request below is the Llama profile, that I'm using, if anyone is having a hard time setting it up. You should be able to copy it, use the import feature and then just confirm that your headset selected properly.

llama.location.profiles/On+Headset+Call+/On+Headset+Call+%7C0-1-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-0--0-%7C%3A%7Cnd%7Cbc%5CpLG+HBS750%5Cp00%3A18%3A6B%3A90%3A3D%3AE5%5Cpps%5Cp12%5Cp%5Cp%7C0%7C0%7Cw%7C0-0%7Ctt%7COn+Headset+Call+%5Cd+WiFi+disabled%7Cqe%7COff+Headset+Call%5Cp0%5Cd1%5Cd0%5Cd0%5Cd0%5Cd0%5Cd0%5Cd0%5Cd1%5Cd0%5Cd%5Cd0%5Cd%5Cp%3A%5Cpor%5Cpbd%5CbpLG+HBS750%5Cbp00%3A18%3A6B%3A90%3A3D%3AE5%5Cbpps%5Cbp2%5Cbp%5Cbp%5Cp0%5Cp0%5Cpw%5Cp1%5Cd0%5Cptt%5CpOff+Headset+Call+%5Cbd+WiFi+enabled%5Cp%7C0%7C

Thanks everyone who contributed helpful info to this thread!

Kerith Taylor

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
I had the very same problem. I bought a second LG Tone figuring it was a glitch. I found a workaround that might help all of you. Turn off your wireless when you are on a call. When it scans for wireless signal, the microphone goes dead. When you turn off the wireless, it stops scanning and your calls can continue uninterrupted.

Paul Birrell

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
I know a lot of people have posted here, but I want to pile on --- I bought two (2) LG HBS-730 headsets and they both disconnect the microphone during calls. I am perpetually turning the unit off and on to get my mic to work. I have emailed LG support and have gotten no fair solution except that they say the product is out of warranty after 30 days. Whatever.

andreale

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
I had the same issue - bluetooth connected just fine, paired and connected with both media and calls. I could hear everyone else, but no one could hear me. Tried it across five different bluetooth devices with the same issue - a Taotonics, Panasonic, Dylan, and the one built into my car. All of these worked fine until one day, a few days ago, they all went mute. Turning off wifi did not help (but thanks to this thread got introduced to Tasker, what a cool app). A hard reset (taking out battery, waiting 15 minutes, then turning on and re-connecting) resolved my problem. I use Sprint and have an Lg G3 phone, running on Android 5.0.1, Build LRX21Y.

Nicholdave

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Dear All,
I have a sort of different kind of challenge with my HBS 730: it works fine on mobile calls but the mic mute occurs when I am on a WhatsApp call. The other person cannot hear me but I hear them loud and clear. And this regardless of when I'm on WiFi or not.
This is a real big issue for me because I the headset specifically for this. Incidentally, I returned a first delivery named S740T because it wasn't what I ordered and doesn't seem to be among LG's headset product that even came with a micro SD slot. Looked like a cheap imitation to me. Before the return, the headset never manifested this issue.
Anybody else experiencing this VIOP related issue?
Any suggestions please?

Nicholdave

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Update:
So I took delivery of my HBS-760, AND I STILL HAVE THE SAME ISSUE.
However, I'm beginning to sense this may have to do with the device or OS; I have experienced the same challenge with another Bluetooth earpiece device: mic is muted on VOIP calls and the other party cannot hear me.
This has nothing to do with the WiFi on my own device.
The odd thing is that for now on this forum, I seem to be the only one experiencing this particular issue.

Dyekebdkd46

May 28, 2016
Visit site
SOLVED
Hey folks, it's not a perfect solution but removing the screenlock security walls eg fingerprunts and/pin, allows the LG Bluetooth headset to accept voice commands while the phone's screen is off.

I hope that helps!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz