Samsung Galaxy S3 won't turn on using power button and won't charge

jasonlbeal

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
My wife was at work yesterday, said she turned on her phone to check for my messages and the phone screen went black and the power button would not turn on the display. When I got home and looked at the phone, the phone would not power on using the power button. Also, since it wouldn't power on using the power button, I couldn't try going into recovery or download.

I decided to plug the phone in, maybe the phone battery was dead? She said the power was over half, but who knows, worth a shot. So I connect the charger and nothing happens. The charge screen didn't appear, no lights lit up, just black screen. Next I try to power the phone on with the charger connected, nothing. I decided to take the phone backing off, remove the battery and let it sit for 10 minutes. Before I plugged the battery back in, I tried to power on the phone with the charger connected but no battery. Nothing.

So I disconnect the charger, thinking the phone was fried, put the battery back in the phone and immediately upon seating the battery into the phone, a red light (upper left corner) appears, I feel the phone vibrate for a quick second and voila, there's the "Samsung" logo. Two seconds later, black screen. I try the power button, nothing. I remove the battery and reseat it, the same thing happens, phone vibrates, and the logo appears, then two seconds later black screen. So I repeat again, this time trying to get it into recovery mode. I push Power + Up Volume + Home quickly after reseating the battery and I see "Recovery" in blue text in the top left corner when the "Samsung" logo appears, but 2 seconds later, black screen. No lights or anything on the phone itself. The power button will not work, but everytime I take the battery out and reseat it, it will do this. I tried doing Power + Down Volume + Home to go into download mode, but that didn't work. The Samsung logo just appears and 2-3 seconds later, black screen.

I also tried plugging the phone into my computer using the USB connector and my PC won't detect the phone. Anyone have any ideas? The phone isn't under warranty and there's still a $270 early termination fee left on her contract. I'm not sure how much it will cost to get it fixed but she has pictures of the kids she doesn't want to lose that weren't backed up.

Last edited:

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to AC!!

Have you tried charging the battery in another phone? This way, if the phone does turn on you'll hopefully be able to at least get into recovery long enough to get the pics transferred to your computer.

Maybe there's something wrong with the charge port.

Nick Oliviero

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
This exact problem happened to my phone last night. I have never rooted my phone or anything of that nature. Last night I had about 35% battery left and then, poof, the phone just died. Will not turn back on. If I take out the battery, then put it back in, it vibrates and says "Samsung" on the screen for about 2 seconds before turning off again.

I tried to use my friend's Galaxy s3 battery today. He has the exact same phone as me and his works fine. It was no different, just showed "Samsung" for about 2 seconds and turned off again. I'm headed to the Sprint store in a little bit and I'll update if I find anything new. So far it appears I'll be going without a phone for a month though because it's out of warranty and my upgrade isn't until 03/01/14.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
jasonlbeal/Nick,
Need a little more information to try to help you:
- what model number?
- which firmware was the phone running (4.3, 4.1.2, etc)?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Nick Oliviero

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Model: SPH-L710
Version: 4.3 (Jelly Bean)

Update: Sprint tech looked at the phone for over an hour before declaring it dead. He said he was even unable to flash it.

junoesque

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I just made an account to reply to this because this EXACT thing happened to my phone today. The issue is definitely with the power button. I researched the problem and all I found were people saying to smash the side of the phone on a hard surface to shake it loose. I tried a few times (maybe too gently), didn't work. Tried a few more times and then it would get to the 2nd Samsung screen.. then died again. Tried a few more things before I just got angry and got a little more aggressive.... tried to use my nails to sort of grab the edges of the button and pull it out, and then kind of roughly flicked at it with my nail and IT WORKED.

I am so relieved. I'm a broke student so I didn't even want to think of replacing the battery or phone.
Anyway, in case this wasn't resolved, I hope this helps! And if it was, I hope others who suddenly have this issue find this post!

Nick Oliviero

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I just made an account to reply to this because this EXACT thing happened to my phone today. The issue is definitely with the power button. I researched the problem and all I found were people saying to smash the side of the phone on a hard surface to shake it loose. I tried a few times (maybe too gently), didn't work. Tried a few more times and then it would get to the 2nd Samsung screen.. then died again. Tried a few more things before I just got angry and got a little more aggressive.... tried to use my nails to sort of grab the edges of the button and pull it out, and then kind of roughly flicked at it with my nail and IT WORKED.

I am so relieved. I'm a broke student so I didn't even want to think of replacing the battery or phone.
Anyway, in case this wasn't resolved, I hope this helps! And if it was, I hope others who suddenly have this issue find this post!

This definitely sounds like my issue. I had been trying to fix it the "hard bricked" way above your post, but the phone would not stay on for more than 5 seconds into the boot. After attempting to use tweezers to no avail I began googling around I've found that it's not the actual power button itself. It is the contact inside the phone. I've tried the aggressive banging method and it hasn't worked yet for me, so I've emailed mobiletechvideos.com with my case to see if their power button replacement would fix this. I'll probably keep banging my phone on every surface I can find until they email me back.

eric5949

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I had this issue with my friends T999. I took it to a cellphone repair shop and they said it was dead, that it definately wasn't a power button issue. I knew this not to be the case because it would begin to boot into recovery and download mode without me touching the power button. I banged it against tables, tok out the plastic piece covering the actual button, everything i could think of. Finally, i saw some page about the connectors on the main board being bad or something, so i took apart the phone and used a flat head screwdriver to GENTLY scrape any solder that may have accidentally bridged the connectors (there didn't appear to be any, i did this just as a precaution) and i also used the screwdriver to try and lift up the power button from the corners. For some reason, after this, i put the phone back together and it worked. I was able to boot the phone into recovery mode and factory reset it. I might also mention that I didn't really know what i was doing, just doing what might work. Hopefully this helps anyone who reads this post.

Pamela S

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
I NEVER respond to these threads....but in this case I had to. I had the EXACT issue to the detail!!!! I spent 3 days being sick over the thought that I had lost my photos and videos forever. I watched countless youtube videos for a solution...I even hard wired my phone to a 9V battery. (worthless)
I then spent a day going door to door to phone repair shops. They either said they couldn't help me, the phone was dead forever.....or they wanted to take my phone for days to figure out the problem. None of them seemed trustworthy. Samsung said I could ship the phone to them for repair.....but they would restore the phone to factory settings and erase all my pictures, video and data. Ughhhhhhhh! They also had a 2 week turn around!!!!! So, I went back to google and found this thread.......and I was able to fix my phone. YES!!!!!!! I fixed it.....it was FIXABLE!!!!! It didn't require a hot gun, solder, heat tape, or anything! All it took was a a little courage and faith to bang the phone on my desk (on the power button) and voila'......the phone started up!!!!! NOW I REALIZE that the power button was stuck in the "pushed in" position.....so the phone would turn on briefly with a battery pull but then turn off because the power button was still depressed!!!!! SO go ahead.....give the phone a bang on the desk.....don't be afraid.....you will love the result. UNSTICK your power button.....and you will be amazed! And then backup all your photos and videos. :)

Florence111

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't usually do these things either. But my phone wouldn't lock so I tried taking the battery out but i realised it's the power button that doesn't work, so now I can't turn it on again. Please help me! How hard do I smash it on the table and do I keep banging it or hold it down on the table? I am like you, I don't want to loose all my photo's, video's and messages so please help me...

DewLegend

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for explaining the power button issue!!! For anyone who has this problem as I did, I did try hitting against a surface but I felt silly.
Not that it wouldn't work, I just felt there was another solution. Also, it didn't work regardless (For me). My solution was that I grabbed a pair of tweezers and pulled out the power button, like right out of the phone. Then my phone turned on again after experiencing these issues noted above by others! The I put the button back in and so far, things are good with the phone again! So this an option for anyone who is experiencing this problem still. (I made an account just for this post, so thank you to the original poster).

Colin32

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
oh my god! lmao wow lmao im sorry but it worked! lol I had same issue and banging it on a table was the last thing I thought would make it work. lmao. well now the power button still doesn't work but at least I can keep it on. thanks

caseyalise

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Literally made an account on here JUST to tell you THANK YOU! I have been having this issue since yesterday when my phone just shut off and i have tried 3 different batteries to no avail. I did everything and nothing worked until I took the power button out with tweezers and pressed the button inside a few times. IT CAME ON. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!

hunprotector

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
I've tried to pluck the power button off... But I think I broke it.. The button can't be push anymore (there's no "click" sound when I push it).. i think it's really broken :( what should I do? Is there any way to change the power button or something? Should I say goodbye to my phone? :'(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv