Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By meyerweb
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Wifi works great, but sometimes connects to a neighbors wifi.

Hi,

I have a Samsung Galaxy III mini and I have no problem connecting to wifi except one problem. I have two routers (an inner and outer network) and I have it setup to connect to the one that has the best signal strength. The inner router is in my living room and the outer is in the basement for my computer workshop. The problem I have is that it connects to one of my neighbors unsecure networks even though my outer network is just feet from me. This happens when I step outside most of the time even though I'm just feet away from my outer router. I would like to remove all scanned wifi networks except mine. Is that possible?
    Thanks,

Ken

Global Posts
    13,900 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Wifi works great, but sometimes connects to a neighbors wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by kmcdonald22 View Post
    Hi,

I have a Samsung Galaxy III mini and I have no problem connecting to wifi except one problem. I have two routers (an inner and outer network) and I have it setup to connect to the one that has the best signal strength. The inner router is in my living room and the outer is in the basement for my computer workshop. The problem I have is that it connects to one of my neighbors unsecure networks even though my outer network is just feet from me. This happens when I step outside most of the time even though I'm just feet away from my outer router. I would like to remove all scanned wifi networks except mine. Is that possible?
    Thanks,

Ken
    Welcome to the forums.
    Look for your neighbor's router, and long press it. That should bring up a forget button. Click that.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums.
    Look for your neighbor's router, and long press it. That should bring up a forget button. Click that.
    Thanks Golfdriver97,

The only network that had the option to forget was my neighbors unsecured network. All of the others only have the option to connect. I must have long pressed those and chose forget. I've been walking upstairs and downstairs to see if my phone will automatically switch from my routers and the upstairs router has one bar on the wifi indicator. I guess that's why it's not automatically connecting to my work router even though my work router is at full strength.

Thanks,

Ken

Global Posts
    13,900 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Thanks Golfdriver97,

The only network that had the option to forget was my neighbors unsecured network. All of the others only have the option to connect. I must have long pressed those and chose forget. I've been walking upstairs and downstairs to see if my phone will automatically switch from my routers and the upstairs router has one bar on the wifi indicator. I guess that's why it's not automatically connecting to my work router even though my work router is at full strength.

Thanks,

Ken
    Is everything working the way you want then?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi

To automatically switch routers as you move about an area with multiple ones, try the app Best WiFi. At one of my customer's work sites they have 4 different WiFi routers spread about the space, and this app will switch connections automatically if the one you're on drops below a user-selectable signal strength.

PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

I'm no expert, but why don't you (or do you and I'm just misunderstanding?) have one router setup as a repeater? That way there's only one SSID and you just benefit from the extended coverage provided by the second router.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Is everything working the way you want then?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
    Yes, It is. My phone is automatically switching between my two networks. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Ken
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    To automatically switch routers as you move about an area with multiple ones, try the app Best WiFi. At one of my customer's work sites they have 4 different WiFi routers spread about the space, and this app will switch connections automatically if the one you're on drops below a user-selectable signal strength.

Hi meyerweb,

Thanks for your response. I added the BestWiFi URL to my favorites folder for future use.

Thanks,

Ken
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    I'm no expert, but why don't you (or do you and I'm just misunderstanding?) have one router setup as a repeater? That way there's only one SSID and you just benefit from the extended coverage provided by the second router.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
    Hi GSDer,

The reason I have two routers is because I work on computers. I have inner and outer networks. A computer connected to the outer network can't see the computers on the inner network.

Ken

Global Posts
    13,900 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Yes, It is. My phone is automatically switching between my two networks. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Ken
    Glad everything has worked out. See you around the forums!