Galaxy S3: Purple Screen

Ridwaan Toure

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I really don't know what to do, I had a faded sdcreen for about a week but my phone was still working all of a sudden my screen went back, now when I try to turn it on I get a black screen and then a purple screen. I don't know what needs to be fixed. I went into download mode once and the screen returned to normal then when I exited download mode the screen returned to purple mode. I really need help on this.

Last edited by a moderator:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Interesting. When I read the title, I was pretty sure this was going to be an "I dropped the phone and now the screen is purple" post.

But since the screen is normal in Download mode, it sounds like it could be some bizarre software issue. I suspect the answer is "no," but just to be sure: Is your phone rooted, and have you installed a custom Kernel? (If you don't know what this means, then the answer is "no," unless you bought the phone used from someone else who did.

Anyway, probably not what you want to hear, but I think a factory reset is in order. A factory reset will, unfortunately, wipe your data stored on the internal memory, but I can't think of any other option if you can't use your screen. If your calendar, contacts and mail are synced with Google, you'll get those back after a reset, and the Play store will remember your apps and reload them, but not any app settings you may have customized. You could try downloading and installing Samsung's Kies app to your PC (Google search will find it), then connect your phone and see if you can back up anything else.

To factory reset: with the phone powered completely off, press and hold simultaneously the Volume UP, home and power keys. When you see the Samsung logo, immediately release all three buttons. You should see a text menu. Use the volume buttons to move up and down and select an option, then press the power button to execute that option.

You can try clearing cache first, but I don't think that will do anything. A Factory Reset might.

Ridwaan Toure

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
OK, so the thing is I can't see the logo when it turns on, I can hear something happening but I don't know what, at one point the screen was working again until it locked and went back to not working, so my question basically is can I use my ocmputer to factory reset my phone, or is there an exact order of buttons I can press to get a factory reset

Ridwaan Toure

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Interesting. When I read the title, I was pretty sure this was going to be an "I dropped the phone and now the screen is purple" post.

But since the screen is normal in Download mode, it sounds like it could be some bizarre software issue. I suspect the answer is "no," but just to be sure: Is your phone rooted, and have you installed a custom Kernel? (If you don't know what this means, then the answer is "no," unless you bought the phone used from someone else who did.

Anyway, probably not what you want to hear, but I think a factory reset is in order. A factory reset will, unfortunately, wipe your data stored on the internal memory, but I can't think of any other option if you can't use your screen. If your calendar, contacts and mail are synced with Google, you'll get those back after a reset, and the Play store will remember your apps and reload them, but not any app settings you may have customized. You could try downloading and installing Samsung's Kies app to your PC (Google search will find it), then connect your phone and see if you can back up anything else.

To factory reset: with the phone powered completely off, press and hold simultaneously the Volume UP, home and power keys. When you see the Samsung logo, immediately release all three buttons. You should see a text menu. Use the volume buttons to move up and down and select an option, then press the power button to execute that option.

You can try clearing cache first, but I don't think that will do anything. A Factory Reset might.
OK, so the thing is I can't see the logo when it turns on, I can hear something happening but I don't know what, at one point the screen was working again until it locked and went back to not working, so my question basically is can I use my ocmputer to factory reset my phone, or is there an exact order of buttons I can press to get a factory reset

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Are you saying you can see the screen in download mode, but not in recovery mode? That's even weirder.

When you boot into recovery, does your phone give out one buzz while you're holding down the buttons? If so, you could try holding the buttons until about 2 seconds after the buzz, then release them, and see what happens?

In Odin, you could flash a complete new factory ROM, which would refresh the phone even more than a factory reset. What version of the S3 do you have (i9300, or a Verizon, Sprint, etc. branded one)?

Ridwaan Toure

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Are you saying you can see the screen in download mode, but not in recovery mode? That's even weirder.

When you boot into recovery, does your phone give out one buzz while you're holding down the buttons? If so, you could try holding the buttons until about 2 seconds after the buzz, then release them, and see what happens?

In Odin, you could flash a complete new factory ROM, which would refresh the phone even more than a factory reset. What version of the S3 do you have (i9300, or a Verizon, Sprint, etc. branded one)?

OK so let me give you the base of things, in this situation I would rather have my phone cracked, so I have 0 consistency with this problem, once I turned it on and it started working regularly I was glad in that same mintue I decided to lock the screen to confirm it, but nope it stopped working, so when I tried going into download mode again, I got no screenm right now im resetting the phone and during the reset i'm getting a purple/pink screen

jc113883

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
I have also had some bizarre screen issues. It started yesterday with a faded screen that started without known cause (I didn't drop it, for example). Then today, it did fall about 1ft out of my pocket and the screen stopped displaying properly. But:
-The screen works fine when in 'Power saving' mode (with setting to reduce screen power checked)
-The screen works fine when I switch to the camera mode
-The touchscreen and all other functions of the phone seem to work just fine.

When not in screen power saving mode, the screen 'loads' the screen image from the top, but it doesn't make it all the way down (the bottom of the screen is black). It's like downloading an image on 1990s dialup internet. Sometimes two thirds of the whole screen will 'load', other times much less. As soon as you do something to change what image was on the screen it starts trying to 'load' the display again from the top, leaving behind the previous image. The strange thing is that it doesn't have these issues in power saving mode or when using the camera, but the screen is still faded in these modes.

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung S3 ,I dropped my phone and now I cannot see anything. Just a white screen with purple,black,green lines. But before it blank out it wasn't recognizing my finger touch. Any idea on how or what to repair. I want to save my phone so I can backup all my data. Please help...

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I want to save my phone so I can backup all my data.
Welcome to the forums!

If you don't have a Pattern/PIN/Password lockscreen then you can use the Kies software to backup your information.

In order to fix the issue you describe your best bet is to replace the complete screen assembly - here are a couple of sources for the part:

http://m.repairsuniverse.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-screen-assembly-replacement-white.html

http://www.etradesupply.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-s3-gt-i9300-lcd-screen-and-digitizer-assembly.html

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk