Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Ry
  • 2 Post By meyerweb
  • 1 Post By AxlMyk
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default IS it true No more Android updates for Samsung Galaxy S3?

Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 Won't Receive Android 4.5 with End of Life Cycle on Android 4.4.2 KitKat? - International Business Times

Hey Guys check out the link which is given above. It says Android 4.4 might be the last update for Samsung galaxy S3 looks like the lifesapn of it is getting over. Any idea about this news?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-30-2014 at 03:46 PM.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,495 Global Posts

Default Re: IS it true No more android updates for samsung galaxy s3?

Quote Originally Posted by joe024 View Post
    Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 Won't Receive Android 4.5 with End of Life Cycle on Android 4.4.2 KitKat? - International Business Times

Hey Guys check out the link which is given above. It says Android 4.4 might be the last update for Samsung galaxy S3 looks like the lifesapn of it is getting over. Any idea about this news?
    What's in Android 4.5?
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

The S3 is almost 2 years old at this point. Generally the lifespan of a flagship Android device is 18 months on average. Sadly, this is part of the problem of mobile technology when combined with carrier's 2 year contract terms. Even if you buy the newest device, by the time your contract is over the device is out-dated and has likely passed beyond updates support - either from the carrier or from the manufacturer.

I know how you feel. When they announced 4.4 KitKat I was shocked and saddened to hear my Galaxy Nexus would not be getting the update - it was too old (among other reasons).
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile
    Thanked by:
    joe024 
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,495 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dancing-bass View Post
    The S3 is almost 2 years old at this point. Generally the lifespan of a flagship Android device is 18 months on average. Sadly, this is part of the problem of mobile technology when combined with carrier's 2 year contract terms. Even if you buy the newest device, by the time your contract is over the device is out-dated and has likely passed beyond updates support - either from the carrier or from the manufacturer.

I know how you feel. When they announced 4.4 KitKat I was shocked and saddened to hear my Galaxy Nexus would not be getting the update - it was too old (among other reasons).
    18 to 24 months. After that, game over.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    dancing-bass likes this.

First, there aren't even any rumors about what 4.5 will be or when it will be released. 4.4 was only recently released. And as others have pointed out, no phones are updated forever. Samsung is actually better than many companies at continuing to provide updates for an extended period of time. By the time 4.5 is released, most of us will be ready for a new phone.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
    Thanked by:
    joe024 
    monsieurms and neiljay6 like this.

I'd be happy with 4.4.2 as long as it fixes problems we're experiencing.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE
    Thanked by:
    joe024 
    Deanig_12 likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Well i just bought S3 it's only 10 days now and this is my first android phone now. I was an ios user. So for me i feel that i'd be stuck with 4.4 update i mean i can't buy a new phone for now atleast for another year and a half so i guess need to manage with 4.4

Well i just bought S3 it's only 10 days now and this is my first android phone now. I was an ios user. So for me i feel that i'd be stuck with 4.4 update i mean i can't buy a new phone for now atleast for another year and a half so i guess need to manage with 4.4
    4.4 will be good enough to get "stuck with" . This is where apple excels in that updates are pushed for most devices. Not all but most.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: IS it true No more Android updates for Samsung Galaxy S3?

I agree with what others have said. Android 4.4 is not a bad spot to finish up at. Especially for a phone that is almost 2 years old

Sent from my awesome HTC One
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Ry likes this.

+1

I doubt there will be huge changes between 4.4 and 4.5 anyway. I'm non 4.3 now, and while it has a few new features compared to 4.1.2, there's nothing that makes it a must have. And if you REALLY want 4.5 when it comes out, you'll be able to get it. You'll just have to root your phone and install an AOSP (Android Open Source Project -- "plain" Android) custom ROM.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    You'll just have to root your phone and install an AOSP (Android Open Source Project -- "plain" Android) custom ROM.
    You're assuming that Saferoot + Safestrap (or some similar solution) will allow users who accepted the OTA to install custom ROMs on their phones that have been hosed by Knox - I'm not so confident in that myself.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Well, it's possible to root 4.4 with Knox on the Galaxy S4, so I'm hopeful hackers will continue to find ways around it. But you're right, we won't know until we actually get it. And it may be carrier dependent. Verizon phones are typically harder to root than other carriers.

Global Posts
    8,895 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Well, it's possible to root 4.4 with Knox on the Galaxy S4, so I'm hopeful hackers will continue to find ways around it. But you're right, we won't know until we actually get it. And it may be carrier dependent. Verizon phones are typically harder to root than other carriers.
    There is no 4.4 for the GS4
    I'm guessing you meant 4.3, which can be rooted, but without saferoot and safestrap, you can't install any other ROMs

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Sorry, yes, 4.3. But 4.3 CAN be rooted and custom recoveries and ROMs installed, on carriers other than Verizon.

Global Posts
    8,895 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Sorry, yes, 4.3. But 4.3 CAN be rooted and custom recoveries and ROMs installed, on carriers other than Verizon.
    Only with safestrap afaik, haven't seen TWRP or CWM work

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Global Posts
    20,832 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Like others have said, 4.4 will be an OK version to be 'stuck' with. There are Android devices that never get any sort of major update. Even if the device doesn't go past 4.3 that will still be a decent android version to have.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

custom recoveries and ROMs installed, on carriers other than Verizon.
    I wasn't aware that anything other than Safestrap was working on other carriers - time to do more research.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Global Posts
    8,895 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    I wasn't aware that anything other than Safestrap was working on other carriers - time to do more research.

No, you're right. I haven't seen it either. I heard Philz recovery works now but I couldn't find anything

Really, if you didn't know, you probably wouldn't care. I always buy the latest phones--just because of hardware and software issues like this. But it is getting to a point where the tech is becoming more mature. No one is going to be crippled because they can't go to 4.5 for an extra 9 months until they upgrade a phone, or whatever. If you just stop thinking about it, it won't bother you.
    Last edited by monsieurms; 02-01-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    People have rooted the Sprint OTA 4.3 successfully with CWM, TWRP and Philz. Philz has worked for some people where the others didn't but some have had no problems with CWM or TWRP.

Thanked by:
    GSDer 

People have rooted the Sprint OTA 4.3 successfully with CWM, TWRP and Philz.
    Strange that the OTAs are that different - I would have thought that the Knox component was the same between all of them, so that if a root exploit/Recovery worked on one it would work on all of them.

Have they actually unlocked the bootloader then? I thought that was required to install an alternate Recovery (or I'm just showing my ignorance).

In fairness, I didn't realize how hard Verizon made it to root.

Sprint doesn't lock the bootloader. The root process, which I documented here: Possible method to root 4.3 , doesn't remove Knox from the bootloader, but does remove all the Knox application files.

Rooting does trip the Knox warranty bit, which can't be reset (at least I've not seen any way to reset it), so Samsung and Sprint will know you rooted even if you later flash a stock ROM, but that's about the only problem. You void your warranty with Samsung, but Sprint doesn't really seem to care, unless you broke the phone because it was rooted (flashing a bad ROM, for example.

There are reasons not to like Sprint, but reasons to like them, too.

Verizon updates?

ROM
    TouchWiz/Android 4.3

I was shocked that the GS3 is actually getting KitKat. One thing to remember joe024, Google usually mandates that new devices are updated for at least 18 months post-release. The GS3 was released on Verizon (the one I have) on July 10, 2012. This phone was released on 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Now, 4 updates later, this phone is still a beast. The phone is still relevant as the sales from last year point out, with over 40 million sold to date. There are still more people with GS3 phones then any other Samsung phone and it is still selling good. That is why we haven't heard any EOL rumors yet. This should get you through until your next phone purchase. As long as my phone stays operational, I have no qualms in saying I will have this phone for a couple more years!
    Don't Eat Yellow Snow!!!