Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GSDer
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default S3 Won't Boot or enter Recovery or Download mode

Hi all,

I browsed through previous threads but couldn't find one where BOTH download mode and recovery mode didn't work. Over the past couple of weeks, my S3 has turned itself off a few times. Earlier today, it turned itself off and now it won't boot up. If I try and turn it on, it gets no further than the "Galaxy S3" screen. When I remove and replace the battery (which is charged to around 70% or so), it almost instantly vibrates and tries to boot up. When I try and enter recovery mode, I get a single line of blue text at the top for a brief moment before the phone turns off. I can enter download mode, but it turns off almost immediately after I get in. I've tried removing the SIM card and SD card to no avail.

Help?

Global Posts
    23,098 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Default Re: S3 Won't Boot or enter Recovery or Download mode

Quote Originally Posted by hassavocado View Post
    Hi all,

I browsed through previous threads but couldn't find one where BOTH download mode and recovery mode didn't work. Over the past couple of weeks, my S3 has turned itself off a few times. Earlier today, it turned itself off and now it won't boot up. If I try and turn it on, it gets no further than the "Galaxy S3" screen. When I remove and replace the battery (which is charged to around 70% or so), it almost instantly vibrates and tries to boot up. When I try and enter recovery mode, I get a single line of blue text at the top for a brief moment before the phone turns off. I can enter download mode, but it turns off almost immediately after I get in. I've tried removing the SIM card and SD card to no avail.

Help?
    Welcome to the forums.
    Is the battery bulged? Test by pulling it out and spinning it on a flat surface.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

It doesn't appear to be. However, I am using the ZeroLemon battery - it's an extra large battery. I tried putting in my old, stock battery, but that made no difference. When I tried to check the charge on both batteries by plugging the phone in, the battery icon came up with the loading wheel inside, but it turned off after a few second anyway. The charging light never turned on.

The charging light did turn on when I plugged in the phone without any battery, though.

When I remove and replace the battery (which is charged to around 70% or so), it almost instantly vibrates and tries to boot up.
    Arrgh! Another post where it's acting like the Power button is stuck in the 'pressed in' state. That's the only thing that should cause the phone to try to boot when the battery is inserted.

However, people suffering from a stuck Power switch generally report boot cycling, where it tries to boot again, and you haven't mentioned anything like that.

If you can't get into Download mode there's not much you can do. You could try booting with a debrick image on an SD card. Otherwise the only thing I can think of is a JTAG service (ex. http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerc...-brick-repair/).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x likes this.

Global Posts
    9,161 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM12 5.0.2

Hi all,

Help?
    Welcome to Android Central
    Try what the above post mentioned, but before you do, try leaving out the battery for about an hour. I almost hard-bricked my phone a few weeks ago and I couldn't boot into download or recovery mode until I did that and let the capacitors drain. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes but do it just be safe. If that doesn't work, the JTAG is probably the only solution

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Welcome to Android Central
    Try what the above post mentioned, but before you do, try leaving out the battery for about an hour. I almost hard-bricked my phone a few weeks ago and I couldn't boot into download or recovery mode until I did that and let the capacitors drain. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes but do it just be safe. If that doesn't work, the JTAG is probably the only solution

I will follow your advice (and the poster above you!). Here's hoping for the best.

Global Posts
    23,098 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

I will follow your advice (and the poster above you!). Here's hoping for the best.
    How is everything coming along?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    How is everything coming along?
    Not so well =/. I fell asleep while waiting for the one hour capacitor drain and just tried putting the battery back in. Same as before - instant vibration, got to the Galaxy S3 screen, turned off. I'm planning on contacting Tmobile, because I'm not sure if my insurance has expired or not yet. If it isn't expired, they'll send me a new S3 for a small fee (something like 5 or 15 dollars).

Thanks for your help, guys. Wish it would've worked out.

Global Posts
    9,161 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM12 5.0.2

Not so well =/. I fell asleep while waiting for the one hour capacitor drain and just tried putting the battery back in. Same as before - instant vibration, got to the Galaxy S3 screen, turned off. I'm planning on contacting Tmobile, because I'm not sure if my insurance has expired or not yet. If it isn't expired, they'll send me a new S3 for a small fee (something like 5 or 15 dollars).

Doesn't really matter if it went longer, just not shorter. How are they replacing it for so little?
    Mine would cost $175 with premium insurance

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Global Posts
    23,098 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Bummer. Let us know how it works out.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Doesn't really matter if it went longer, just not shorter. How are they replacing it for so little?
    Mine would cost $175 with premium insurance

I have no idea. I called and it's a 5 dollar convenience charge (FIVE!!!) and they do next-day shipping, so I'll get it tomorrow or on Monday. However, if they receive the phone and there are signs of physical damage, I have to pay 110 dollars. Even if that ends up being the case, I think that's a really good deal.

Global Posts
    23,098 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

I have no idea. I called and it's a 5 dollar convenience charge (FIVE!!!) and they do next-day shipping, so I'll get it tomorrow or on Monday. However, if they receive the phone and there are signs of physical damage, I have to pay 110 dollars. Even if that ends up being the case, I think that's a really good deal.
    Is that thought the carrier or do you have your own insurance?

Phone Timeline

Global Posts
    9,161 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM12 5.0.2

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Is that thought the carrier or do you have your own insurance?

I think it's through the carrier. I get charged $175 if there is any physical damage too
    Not sure how much I would get charged if it was something covered by the manufacturer's warranty

Thanked by:

It doesn't appear to be. However, I am using the ZeroLemon battery - it's an extra large battery. I tried putting in my old, stock battery, but that made no difference. When I tried to check the charge on both batteries by plugging the phone in, the battery icon came up with the loading wheel inside, but it turned off after a few second anyway. The charging light never turned on.

The charging light did turn on when I plugged in the phone without any battery, though.
    Have you dropped your phone by accident? Normally, the charging light should be visible, but when the phone has suffered some damage, all possibilites are potentially feasible. I can tell you from my own experience that Zerolemon bateries are mostly reliable, I used them for several brands during the last seven years, so I don`t think it`s something wrong with the battery. Although you can email Zerolemon and tell your problem

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum but I came across this post and this is EXACTLY the situation I'm in. My problem is that I'm on T-Mobile without a contract, so I bought my T999 out of pocket, and I can't afford to buy a new one. Is there no way I can force it into recovery mode? I looked at the link for the JTAG, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. Do I just pay 50 bucks ship them my phone and they fix it? Any and all help is appreciated!

Welcome to the forums!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Rounds View Post
    Is there no way I can force it into recovery mode?
    No. There is an accessory called a JIG (just look for it on Amazon) that you can try that MAY force it into Download mode, but if the key combination isn't working (and you've done it before so you know what you're doing) then it probably won't work either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Rounds View Post
    I looked at the link for the JTAG, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. Do I just pay 50 bucks ship them my phone and they fix it?
    Yep, that's about it.

How did your phone get in this mess, and does it do ANYTHING when you attempt to boot? Vibrate? LED blink? What about if you connect the charger?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Hey guys,

Also new to the forums, but I think Im having this EXACT same problem. It was working fine, then I okayed updating the operating system, left it plugged in, and when I came back it was just black screen and vibrated every 3 seconds. Since I know you arent supposed to turn the power off during an update, I let it do this for 3-4 hours. I still couldnt get any response, so I finally pulled the battery. Now, when I put the battery back in, it immediately brings up a black screen with a line of blue text that says "RECOVERY BOOTING..." which disappears after 3 seconds and then vibrates every 3 seconds. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

You are amazing. Thank you so much for the detailed demo. Got it loose and it finished installing the system update.

I just signed up to thank you. In fact I had the same problem described above.
    BootLoop, No charging LED, No Download Mode and No Recovery Mode.

In fact, it was a stucked power button and the simple trick from above worked. Saved my 1000+ photos.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eli2k View Post

Omg! Thank you! I had to slide my finger nail to get it to pop out though the flicks didn't work for me but the issue was the same none the less! Thank again!
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

I'm the OP and my phone exhibited the same problems it did all those months ago. I tried your method a few times and it eventually worked! Thanks so much!!!

Edit: Whoops, apparently I forgot to quote my savior, eli2k. His tapping method. Oh yeah. My power button didn't feel stuck, nor was I power cycling, nor does it feel any different now that it's fixed, but his method eventually fixed it after a short five minutes of trying.