S3 Won't Boot or enter Recovery or Download mode

hassavocado

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I browsed through previous threads but couldn't find one where BOTH download mode and recovery mode didn't work. Over the past couple of weeks, my S3 has turned itself off a few times. Earlier today, it turned itself off and now it won't boot up. If I try and turn it on, it gets no further than the "Galaxy S3" screen. When I remove and replace the battery (which is charged to around 70% or so), it almost instantly vibrates and tries to boot up. When I try and enter recovery mode, I get a single line of blue text at the top for a brief moment before the phone turns off. I can enter download mode, but it turns off almost immediately after I get in. I've tried removing the SIM card and SD card to no avail.

Help?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I browsed through previous threads but couldn't find one where BOTH download mode and recovery mode didn't work. Over the past couple of weeks, my S3 has turned itself off a few times. Earlier today, it turned itself off and now it won't boot up. If I try and turn it on, it gets no further than the "Galaxy S3" screen. When I remove and replace the battery (which is charged to around 70% or so), it almost instantly vibrates and tries to boot up. When I try and enter recovery mode, I get a single line of blue text at the top for a brief moment before the phone turns off. I can enter download mode, but it turns off almost immediately after I get in. I've tried removing the SIM card and SD card to no avail.

Help?

Welcome to the forums.
Is the battery bulged? Test by pulling it out and spinning it on a flat surface.

hassavocado

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't appear to be. However, I am using the ZeroLemon battery - it's an extra large battery. I tried putting in my old, stock battery, but that made no difference. When I tried to check the charge on both batteries by plugging the phone in, the battery icon came up with the loading wheel inside, but it turned off after a few second anyway. The charging light never turned on.

The charging light did turn on when I plugged in the phone without any battery, though.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
When I remove and replace the battery (which is charged to around 70% or so), it almost instantly vibrates and tries to boot up.
Arrgh! Another post where it's acting like the Power button is stuck in the 'pressed in' state. That's the only thing that should cause the phone to try to boot when the battery is inserted.

However, people suffering from a stuck Power switch generally report boot cycling, where it tries to boot again, and you haven't mentioned anything like that.

If you can't get into Download mode there's not much you can do. You could try booting with a debrick image on an SD card. Otherwise the only thing I can think of is a JTAG service (ex. http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-jtag-brick-repair/).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Help?

Welcome to Android Central :)
Try what the above post mentioned, but before you do, try leaving out the battery for about an hour. I almost hard-bricked my phone a few weeks ago and I couldn't boot into download or recovery mode until I did that and let the capacitors drain. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes but do it just be safe. If that doesn't work, the JTAG is probably the only solution :-\

Posted via Android Central App

hassavocado

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central :)
Try what the above post mentioned, but before you do, try leaving out the battery for about an hour. I almost hard-bricked my phone a few weeks ago and I couldn't boot into download or recovery mode until I did that and let the capacitors drain. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes but do it just be safe. If that doesn't work, the JTAG is probably the only solution :-\

I will follow your advice (and the poster above you!). Here's hoping for the best.

hassavocado

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
How is everything coming along?

Not so well =/. I fell asleep while waiting for the one hour capacitor drain and just tried putting the battery back in. Same as before - instant vibration, got to the Galaxy SIII screen, turned off. I'm planning on contacting Tmobile, because I'm not sure if my insurance has expired or not yet. If it isn't expired, they'll send me a new S3 for a small fee (something like 5 or 15 dollars).

Thanks for your help, guys. Wish it would've worked out.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Not so well =/. I fell asleep while waiting for the one hour capacitor drain and just tried putting the battery back in. Same as before - instant vibration, got to the Galaxy SIII screen, turned off. I'm planning on contacting Tmobile, because I'm not sure if my insurance has expired or not yet. If it isn't expired, they'll send me a new S3 for a small fee (something like 5 or 15 dollars).

Doesn't really matter if it went longer, just not shorter. How are they replacing it for so little? :eek:
Mine would cost $175 with premium insurance

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Bummer. Let us know how it works out.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

hassavocado

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't really matter if it went longer, just not shorter. How are they replacing it for so little? :eek:
Mine would cost $175 with premium insurance

I have no idea. I called and it's a 5 dollar convenience charge (FIVE!!!) and they do next-day shipping, so I'll get it tomorrow or on Monday. However, if they receive the phone and there are signs of physical damage, I have to pay 110 dollars. Even if that ends up being the case, I think that's a really good deal.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea. I called and it's a 5 dollar convenience charge (FIVE!!!) and they do next-day shipping, so I'll get it tomorrow or on Monday. However, if they receive the phone and there are signs of physical damage, I have to pay 110 dollars. Even if that ends up being the case, I think that's a really good deal.

Is that thought the carrier or do you have your own insurance?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Is that thought the carrier or do you have your own insurance?

I think it's through the carrier. I get charged $175 if there is any physical damage too
Not sure how much I would get charged if it was something covered by the manufacturer's warranty

Shelter7

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't appear to be. However, I am using the ZeroLemon battery - it's an extra large battery. I tried putting in my old, stock battery, but that made no difference. When I tried to check the charge on both batteries by plugging the phone in, the battery icon came up with the loading wheel inside, but it turned off after a few second anyway. The charging light never turned on.

The charging light did turn on when I plugged in the phone without any battery, though.

Have you dropped your phone by accident? Normally, the charging light should be visible, but when the phone has suffered some damage, all possibilites are potentially feasible. I can tell you from my own experience that Zerolemon bateries are mostly reliable, I used them for several brands during the last seven years, so I don`t think it`s something wrong with the battery. Although you can email Zerolemon and tell your problem

Marshall Rounds

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum but I came across this post and this is EXACTLY the situation I'm in. My problem is that I'm on T-Mobile without a contract, so I bought my T999 out of pocket, and I can't afford to buy a new one. Is there no way I can force it into recovery mode? I looked at the link for the JTAG, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. Do I just pay 50 bucks ship them my phone and they fix it? Any and all help is appreciated!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
Is there no way I can force it into recovery mode?
No. There is an accessory called a JIG (just look for it on Amazon) that you can try that MAY force it into Download mode, but if the key combination isn't working (and you've done it before so you know what you're doing) then it probably won't work either.
I looked at the link for the JTAG, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. Do I just pay 50 bucks ship them my phone and they fix it?
Yep, that's about it.

How did your phone get in this mess, and does it do ANYTHING when you attempt to boot? Vibrate? LED blink? What about if you connect the charger?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

torinclark

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

Also new to the forums, but I think Im having this EXACT same problem. It was working fine, then I okayed updating the operating system, left it plugged in, and when I came back it was just black screen and vibrated every 3 seconds. Since I know you arent supposed to turn the power off during an update, I let it do this for 3-4 hours. I still couldnt get any response, so I finally pulled the battery. Now, when I put the battery back in, it immediately brings up a black screen with a line of blue text that says "RECOVERY BOOTING..." which disappears after 3 seconds and then vibrates every 3 seconds. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

DRAGONByTE

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I just signed up to thank you. In fact I had the same problem described above.
BootLoop, No charging LED, No Download Mode and No Recovery Mode.

In fact, it was a stucked power button and the simple trick from above worked. Saved my 1000+ photos.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc