Erratic Battery Behavior

rzinn

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I am having battery issues that seem to defy all logic. I have tried everything I can think of. Take a look at these battery curve screen shots - the charge will actually go up when not charging! (among other irregularities:
Screenshot_2014-02-16-19-40-42.png
Screenshot_2014-02-15-23-50-15.png
Screenshot_2014-02-12-00-40-44.png
Here is a history of what I have tried/experienced:
- Had about 12 months of good battery life with stock TMO configuration
- Have had 4 month battle with battery life
- The battery seems to immediately go to 50% charge right of the charger then have a less dramatic slope.
- Tried Battery Calibration Aps to reset the BIN file
- Tried different cables
- bought 4 new batteries - all have same crazy performance issue
- Tried wiping cache
- Tried factory reset 3 times
- eventually rooted and flashed CM 10.2 - no change!
- With rooted system and CM installed tried more aggressive monitoring/fixing apps like Greenify, ClockworkMod, Wake Lock Detector, and Root access Battery Calibration Apps.
- can take the same battery from my wife's identical phone charged to 100% and reads 9% when put in my phone.
Please help!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If the four batteries that you purchased function normally in your wife's phone then it appears that you have a hardware problem - time for a new mainboard.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The mainboard = motherboard in computer terms.
You may have some luck on eBay, etc, although you need to be sure:
- it's the same model/carrier as your phone
- same amount of memory (if that's important)
- not stolen or a bad ESN (blacklisted by the carrier)

I haven't done this myself, but I've seen posts from people who have. Of course, given all of the possible problems that you may encounter, it might be cheaper to buy a Moto X, Moto G or Nexus 5 and be done with it.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

rzinn

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Ouch!

Just out of curiosity, why do you recommend those 3? Are they considered comparable to the SG3 or are they a good deal right now or something.

Thanks again!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Moto G = best off contract price for performance if you can live without 4G/LTE
Moto X = best off contract price for performance if you want 4G/LTE
Nexus 5 = best off contract price for performance if you want stock Android experience (unless you're on Verizon, in which case you're screwed)
These are just my opinions based on what I've read; I don't own any of these. YMMV.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar