Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  • 1 Post By GSDer
  • 1 Post By Courtenay Dawn
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default I prefer not to use kies but what else?

    Hi, I seem to be having the same issues I had when I first had a android phone, a reason why I switched to blackberry.... So I left blackberry and came to Android and I have the s3 but the problem is kies does not support my phone. Ive tried uninstalling just to see if it was a mistake. Anyway, I tried googling another computer software system but everything comes up kies!!!!!

    Can anyone tell me what to use instead of kies?

    I find this computer software is not user friendly. At least with blackberry you used link and everything worked lol. Please help!!

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. Best Answer

    Quote Originally Posted by Courtenay Dawn View Post
    All my contacts, pictures, videos. Just in case anything ever happens I can use the backup to what my phone was before. Like my apps too. And notes.

    Posted via Android Central App
    You can sync contacts with your G-Mail account.
    You can use Dropbox or Google + for pictures and videos.
    You can also store all of those on your PC, as well as music. Again, no need for any special programs.
    Apps can be backed up with Helium

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

  3. #2  
    ScandaLeX's Avatar

    Posts
    485 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: I prefer not to use kies but what else?

    If you're looking for a way to connect your phone to computer you could you AirDroid. It works over WiFi. I haven't used Kies in years due to it's unreliability.

    Sent from a BIG phone.....Galaxy Note 3
  4. #3  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: I prefer not to use kies but what else?

    Quote Originally Posted by Courtenay Dawn View Post
    Hi, I seem to be having the same issues I had when I first had a android phone, a reason why I switched to blackberry.... So I left blackberry and came to Android and I have the s3 but the problem is kies does not support my phone. Ive tried uninstalling just to see if it was a mistake. Anyway, I tried googling another computer software system but everything comes up kies!!!!!

    Can anyone tell me what to use instead of kies?

    I find this computer software is not user friendly. At least with blackberry you used link and everything worked lol. Please help!!

    Posted via Android Central App
    What are you trying to do?

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: I prefer not to use kies but what else?

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    What are you trying to do?

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    Id like to use it for backing up my phone, managing things on my phone like putting music on or off same with pictures and videos.

    Posted via Android Central App
  6. #5  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: I prefer not to use kies but what else?

    Quote Originally Posted by Courtenay Dawn View Post
    Id like to use it for backing up my phone, managing things on my phone like putting music on or off same with pictures and videos.

    Posted via Android Central App
    You don't need any special software to transfer data to and from the phone. Just plug it in to the PC and you can move anything on or off the phone.
    Anything specific you're trying to backup?

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: I prefer not to use kies but what else?

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    You don't need any special software to transfer data to and from the phone. Just plug it in to the PC and you can move anything on or off the phone.
    Anything specific you're trying to backup?

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    All my contacts, pictures, videos. Just in case anything ever happens I can use the backup to what my phone was before. Like my apps too. And notes.

    Posted via Android Central App
  8. #7  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    8,724 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

    Default Re: I prefer not to use kies but what else?

    Quote Originally Posted by Courtenay Dawn View Post
    All my contacts, pictures, videos. Just in case anything ever happens I can use the backup to what my phone was before. Like my apps too. And notes.

    Posted via Android Central App
    You can sync contacts with your G-Mail account.
    You can use Dropbox or Google + for pictures and videos.
    You can also store all of those on your PC, as well as music. Again, no need for any special programs.
    Apps can be backed up with Helium

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:
    Courtenay Dawn likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: I prefer not to use kies but what else?

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    You can sync contacts with your G-Mail account.
    You can use Dropbox or Google + for pictures and videos.
    You can also store all of those on your PC, as well as music. Again, no need for any special programs.
    Apps can be backed up with Helium

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    Thanks! Makes it a lot easier than trying to use kies lol

    Posted via Android Central App
  10. #9  

    Default Re: I prefer not to use kies but what else?

    Quote Originally Posted by Courtenay Dawn View Post
    Makes it a lot easier than trying to use kies...
    (earlier you stated)but the problem is kies does not support my phone
    Others have provided you some good alternatives to Kies, but I find it strange that you're having problems with it - it's always worked reliably for me, and is the only solution I've found that properly backs up/restores MMS. Judging by what you mentioned (does not support my phone) it sounds like you're trying to use Kies v2.6 on a phone which has the 4.3 firmware - if that's the case, you simply need to install Kies v3.

    If this isn't the case, let me know exactly which version of Kies you're using, which firmware you have on your phone and what OS is on your computer.

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
    UJ95x likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: I prefer not to use kies but what else?

    Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    Others have provided you some good alternatives to Kies, but I find it strange that you're having problems with it - it's always worked reliably for me, and is the only solution I've found that properly backs up/restores MMS. Judging by what you mentioned (does not support my phone) it sounds like you're trying to use Kies v2.6 on a phone which has the 4.3 firmware - if that's the case, you simply need to install Kies v3.

    If this isn't the case, let me know exactly which version of Kies you're using, which firmware you have on your phone and what OS is on your computer.

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
    Thank you, I downloaded the kies 3 and you were right my firmware was 4.3. I was able to connect my device no problem and back up as well very user friendly I might add. Thanks again!!!

    Posted via Android Central App
    UJ95x likes this.
  12. #11  

    Default Re: I prefer not to use kies but what else?

    Quote Originally Posted by Courtenay Dawn View Post
    very user friendly I might add.
    I try to be very user friendly.

    Oh, wait, you were talking about Kies...

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
  13. #12  

    Default Re: I prefer not to use kies but what else?

    If you don't like Kies, you can try Airdroid and Web PC Suite for

Similar Threads

  1. Does anyone else love holding the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 in landscape?
    By Emac4444 in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-31-2014, 02:39 AM
  2. keep being told to log into "Samsung Account" after 4.3 update
    By Arlizz in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2014, 03:38 PM
  3. What's App issues
    By jerthorne in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-23-2014, 06:07 AM
  4. how to disconnect head phone mode
    By Allan E in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2014, 01:51 AM

Posting Permissions