Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  • 1 Post By GSDer
  • 1 Post By Courtenay Dawn
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I prefer not to use kies but what else?

Hi, I seem to be having the same issues I had when I first had a android phone, a reason why I switched to blackberry.... So I left blackberry and came to Android and I have the s3 but the problem is kies does not support my phone. Ive tried uninstalling just to see if it was a mistake. Anyway, I tried googling another computer software system but everything comes up kies!!!!!

Can anyone tell me what to use instead of kies?

I find this computer software is not user friendly. At least with blackberry you used link and everything worked lol. Please help!!

Posted via Android Central App
  2. Best Answer

Quote Originally Posted by Courtenay Dawn View Post
    All my contacts, pictures, videos. Just in case anything ever happens I can use the backup to what my phone was before. Like my apps too. And notes.

You can sync contacts with your G-Mail account.
    You can use Dropbox or Google + for pictures and videos.
    You can also store all of those on your PC, as well as music. Again, no need for any special programs.
    Apps can be backed up with Helium

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: I prefer not to use kies but what else?

If you're looking for a way to connect your phone to computer you could you AirDroid. It works over WiFi. I haven't used Kies in years due to it's unreliability.

Sent from a BIG phone.....Galaxy Note 3

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Hi, I seem to be having the same issues I had when I first had a android phone, a reason why I switched to blackberry.... So I left blackberry and came to Android and I have the s3 but the problem is kies does not support my phone. Ive tried uninstalling just to see if it was a mistake. Anyway, I tried googling another computer software system but everything comes up kies!!!!!

Can anyone tell me what to use instead of kies?

I find this computer software is not user friendly. At least with blackberry you used link and everything worked lol. Please help!!

What are you trying to do?

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    What are you trying to do?

Id like to use it for backing up my phone, managing things on my phone like putting music on or off same with pictures and videos.

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Id like to use it for backing up my phone, managing things on my phone like putting music on or off same with pictures and videos.

You don't need any special software to transfer data to and from the phone. Just plug it in to the PC and you can move anything on or off the phone.
    Anything specific you're trying to backup?

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

You don't need any special software to transfer data to and from the phone. Just plug it in to the PC and you can move anything on or off the phone.
    Anything specific you're trying to backup?

All my contacts, pictures, videos. Just in case anything ever happens I can use the backup to what my phone was before. Like my apps too. And notes.

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

You can also store all of those on your PC, as well as music. Again, no need for any special programs.

Thanked by:
    Courtenay Dawn likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks! Makes it a lot easier than trying to use kies lol

Makes it a lot easier than trying to use kies...
    (earlier you stated)but the problem is kies does not support my phone
    Others have provided you some good alternatives to Kies, but I find it strange that you're having problems with it - it's always worked reliably for me, and is the only solution I've found that properly backs up/restores MMS. Judging by what you mentioned (does not support my phone) it sounds like you're trying to use Kies v2.6 on a phone which has the 4.3 firmware - if that's the case, you simply need to install Kies v3.

If this isn't the case, let me know exactly which version of Kies you're using, which firmware you have on your phone and what OS is on your computer.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
    UJ95x likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    Others have provided you some good alternatives to Kies, but I find it strange that you're having problems with it - it's always worked reliably for me, and is the only solution I've found that properly backs up/restores MMS. Judging by what you mentioned (does not support my phone) it sounds like you're trying to use Kies v2.6 on a phone which has the 4.3 firmware - if that's the case, you simply need to install Kies v3.

If this isn't the case, let me know exactly which version of Kies you're using, which firmware you have on your phone and what OS is on your computer.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
    Thank you, I downloaded the kies 3 and you were right my firmware was 4.3. I was able to connect my device no problem and back up as well very user friendly I might add. Thanks again!!!

UJ95x likes this.

very user friendly I might add.
    I try to be very user friendly.

Oh, wait, you were talking about Kies...

If you don't like Kies, you can try Airdroid and Web PC Suite for