1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Default Another severe battery drain user

A couple of weeks ago I upgraded to the S3 and I've been having issues with the battery from the start.
    First time was when I charged it to full during the evening and then overnight with no apps running, no phone calls and no texts of it just sitting there with the screen off, I woke up 8 hours later to see it at 20%. Again, nothing was running.

After that I looked up the issue and possible solutions. Some of which include removing and replacing the battery after a minute or so, removing the SD card, sim card, rebooting the phone. Upon rebooting the phone the issue was solved....for a few days. Then it did it again.

Earlier today I got up for work and unplugged the phone. At lunch about 5 hours later the battery was at 30%. This time it was physically warm to the touch. The entire case (Otter Box Commuter) was warm to the touch...warmer than you would deem acceptable as warmth from a phone under load while gaming for instance. Again with no apps running in the background. I even go so far as to clear the processes in the memory tab to free that up. Today, I didn't even touch the phone. It was in my jacket pocket in the closet at work I never turned the screen on once.

For a day or two the battery lasts a while, acceptable levels in fact depending on what is being done on the phone. But after that you can tell the battery starts to drain faster and faster then at some point usually 3 or 4 days later it's down to 20% in a matter of a few hours.

In all of these situations, data is off, wifi is off, all apps are closed, screen brightness is set to auto (even though in these situations the screen is off the entire time) nothing is draining the battery.

So is there any other advice? I bought it from Best Buy and they have a 14 day return deal, it's been about 17 days. I haven't taken it back because each portion of the troubleshooting takes a few days to figure out if it works. Then 3 or 4 days later you'll know when there's severe drain on the battery. I'm still going to go in and explain it and say look it's only been 3 days longer what can we do here in terms of a replacement. If it's something that "just happens" and the phone requires rebooting every couple of days to fix it that's not something I'm interested in. I understand the importance of rebooting for resource refreshing but that shouldn't account for the battery issues. This sounds like an actual bad battery issue.

I've read people changing their sim cards had an effect, aka a sim for some reason drains battery on whatever phone it's in. Is that something I should look into getting replaced to see if that helps? Again another recommendation is not using an SD card at all because that is what's draining the battery. That won't work because having the extra storage is the reason I went with this phone rather than any other phone in this price range.
    Last edited by Gimpy2k7; 02-25-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Default Re: Another severe battery drain user

It's not normal (and in fact it's a bad sign) if the phone is getting hot when it's idle, especially if you can feel it through the case.

You mentioned all of the things that were turned off, but you didn't mention what your cellular signal is like. If your cellular signal is marginal (two bars or less) that can contribute to poor battery life, and even overheating if the phone is having to amp up the power to try to maintain a poor signal.

You can look at Settings -> More (if using the Tab view) -> Battery -> press on the graph at the top to bring up the History details.Mobile network signal is your cellular signal; dingy yellow, red or black is bad.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro