Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Should Email count update in the notifications bar?

I posted this in the Verizon S3 subforum but 180 views and no love so I thought I'd try here.

Does anyone know if email notifications on the status bar are supposed to update themselves? It seems that unless I pull down the notifications window and hit the "clear" button they just sort of add up rather than update the count according to my sync schedules. Here is the scenario: If I work at my desktop and don't use my S3 to check emails, once I go to my device, my email notification count reflects emails in both the Gmail and Company accounts that have been opened / cleared (on the desktop). When I open the actual email client, the emails are synced but it seems the count in the notification bar doesn't adjust down to reflect email I opened on the desktop.

The email app works fine. I have two accounts (a corp exchange account and a gmail account). I ran them both through the stock S3 email app (combined inbox). I tried deleting the gmail acct from from the stock app and used separate email apps. No love there either so I went back to running both from the stock email app for convenience.

I have cleared data and caches in the downloads and download manager apps as a search indicated other notifications were affected by these. I wiped out and re-installed both email accounts. A week ago I did a factory reset to get some battery life back and clear up some storage space anyway. The device seems to work great, so I am wondering if I am missing something or if this is the way it's supposed to be?

non-rooted - Verizon SCH-1505 - running 4.3

Any help appreciated.
    --Steve

Default Re: Should Email count update in the notifications bar?

Perhaps you would get a better response if you posted a screen shot of what you're talking about. While you describe it I'm still a little confused as to where you're looking for the update. Is it in the notifications when you're looking at your home page, or a notification while in app? If it's something in app I'd say that it should up date as messages are read or deleted, but you also have to be sure that you are sync'd that way in the app settings. I mean it's just something to check. Something else to consider is you're using the stock app. Browsing through the forum I'm sure you've seen that most users abandon the stock apps early on for apps with more options, bells and whistles. They are usually basic and basically work, or is that barely work? Can you use a 3rd party app or do you choose not to? Maildroid dose a good job of keeping the count on track, and it offers a combined box for multiple accounts. I'm sure there are others that do this same thing.

GL and remember a picture is worth a thousand words.
    Sent from my HTCOX Fōn.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Should Email count update in the notifications bar?

Thanks for the reply. I am talking about the email notifications in the upper left hand corner. If I pull down the details don't seem to sync according to my sync schedule. The actual email app itself works fine.
    Should Email count update in the notifications bar?-uploadfromtaptalk1394033766619.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy powered S3 using tapatalk