Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Black Screen on my Galaxy S3

So here's the scoop, I was randomly checking a text a few days ago when the screen suddenly went black. The back and menu buttons would light up when the home button was pressed, but were completely unresponsive to touch. On top of that, it was fully functioning, buzzing when a text came in or when I was receiving a phone call. I could even answer the phone call or play music on it by pressing the mic button on my headphones when they were plugged in. The screen simply stopped working.

This phone has not been rooted.
    I've pulled the battery and SIM card and put them back in. It did nothing. When I reboot it after, the start-up tones play and then it notifies me that I have texts. Even the LED starts blinking.

I assumed it was a cable problem, but when I tried to boot it in download mode, the screen came on for about half a second before blinking out. Nothing else happens. It makes me suspect that there might be a software problem, but I have no idea where to begin. Any ideas? I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-06-2014 at 11:16 PM.

Default Re: Black Screen on my S3

I'm leaning more towards hardware than software. Could be a fluke that its showing briefly in download mode.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by:

Since it's working you could use the Kies software on your PC to make a backup of your information (if you had 4.3 firmware you'll need Kies v3) and then you could try reloading the firmware.

But I'm with the previous poster here - sounds like a hardware issue. Here are a couple of sources for replacement screen assemblies:
    http://m.repairsuniverse.com/samsung...ent-white.html

http://www.etradesupply.com/samsung-...-assembly.html

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanked by:

Will it boot into recovery? (It seems unlikely, but worth checking.)
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

It won't boot in recovery, meyerweb. I tried.

Paul, I think you might be right. I can't get it to flash at all now when trying to put it in DL mode. That might have been just a fluke.

GSDer, maaaan. I was kind of hoping the assemblies would be a bit cheaper. Got spoiled last time I needed one. Had a friend sell one to me for 30 bucks. Thinking I might just keep using my backup phone until April when the s5 comes out. I'm eligible for an upgrade by then. I was just hoping to hang onto my s3 for a backup and finally get rid of my crappy iphone 4 for good :\

On that note, do any of you have a recommendation on whether to spend the money on an s5 or go a bit cheaper with the s4? I haven't read much on the 5. Does anyone suggest something besides the galaxy?

After reading over your OP again it sounds like you have had a combo failure... The digitizer and display are two separate pieces on the S3, sounds like they have both failed for the most part. Could be a cable ribbon to the motherboard, could be more but something is at fault here more than software IMO.

As far as replacement, I've watched many videos on it. Unless your real comfortable with using a heat gun to heat up the glue on the screen to remove it then I wouldn't attempt it. I also will note in watching videos on it if the screen and/or digitizer gets too much heat during the process it can damage either or and more.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Haynes1 View Post
    Does anyone suggest something besides the galaxy?
    Nexus 5 (except on Verizon), Moto X or Moto G (if you can live without 4G/LTE) - best bang for the off-contract buck!

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Haynes1 View Post
    On that note, do any of you have a recommendation on whether to spend the money on an s5 or go a bit cheaper with the s4? I haven't read much on the 5. Does anyone suggest something besides the galaxy?
    My feeling about the S4 was that it really didn't offer enough over the S3 to be worth the extra cost. I still feel that way. If you want a Samsung phone, and can wait, the S5 looks like it does offer some real improvements. For non-Samsung phones, I agree with GSDer
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
    Thanked by:

I have a similar problem with S3 mini - the screen is just black. but I was able to unlock the phone by drawing the unlock button and connect with Kies on PC. In short the digitiser is working but the screen is black. Even so, I still have some hope it can come on but I don't know how. About two days ago I had removed the SIM card from the phone so that I could use it in a dongle and surprisingly, when I 'threw' the phone on the bed and it hit into something the screen came on. But when I restarted the phone the screen was black again.