Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Recover photos from internal storage AFTER 4.3 update - how to turn on USB storage

All my photos were accidentally (aren't they always!?) deleted and I am trying to recover them from the internal storage. All the recovery software I have found instructs to turn on USB storage on the phone before running the software. I used to have that option on my phone but after the update I have only MPT and PTP for USB options. My phone IS NOT rooted....can anyone help me do a recovery scan of my phone to find the deleted photos? I do have ESFile explorer on my phone and have rummaged through many folders hoping to find the files ... many websites say the photos are still there, but since 'deleted' they are no longer 'pointed to' but still on my phone somewhere....does anyone know where that 'somewhere' might be so I can mannually access it? Any thoughts, suggestions, etc. would be appreciated! thank you!!

Default Re: Recover photos from internal storage AFTER 4.3 update - how to turn on USB storage

USB storage was removed by Google with the 4.1.1 JB update. There is an app at Google Play that I have use with success called DiskDigger. The phone must be rooted though. Problem would be if you root now you stand a chance over writing the files you want to recover. I can not think of any other options.
    [CENTER][COLOR="#0000FF"][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3 (No KNOX)

Default Re: Recover photos from internal storage AFTER 4.3 update - how to turn on USB storage

Samsung Galaxy 3 use MTP and PTP for USB options. To recover photos from Galaxy S3, you need first enable the USB debugging mode on the deivce. Jjust go to Setting > Developer options > check "USB debugging"> click OK. Then you can use Android data recovery software to scan the S3 and recover deleted/lost photos from S3,

I tried that but my pc (or recovery program) still doesn't recognise my phone as a drive (so no letter). I've read possibilities which involve rooting my phone, to use those options I should install some programs. The reason why I want to recover is bc of my photo's (I dont mind the apps), does anyone know if when I root my phone it saves the programs in the same space as were I saved my photo's or if it uses an other part of the hard drive? In other words, is it safe to root my phone when I want to recover my photo's.

Welcome to the forums!
    Quote Originally Posted by ray_383 View Post
    In other words, is it safe to root my phone when I want to recover my photo's.
    It really depends on the root method - if you use something like http://towelroot.com it's not very invasive and you'd have a much better chance of recovering deleted pictures.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll give it a shot tonight and keep you all posted.

I tried to use towelroot but it says: This phone isn't currently supperted.

Could you give me another advise, don't want to install to much (afraid of losing data). I read about odin but it says you'll lose all your data, not sure if this also aplies when it's already restored to factory settings.

Quote Originally Posted by ray_383 View Post
    I tried to use towelroot but it says: This phone isn't currently supported.
    Strange - you do have a Galaxy S3? Which model?

Without knowing which model/carrier/firmware you currently have there's no way to recommend a root method. You certainly DON'T want to use Odin (although Odin doesn't normally overwrite the /data partition).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply,

I'm Dutch and the carrier is called Hi.
    Model number: GT-I9300
    Android version: 4.3
    Baseband version: I9300XXUGNA8
    Kernel version:
    3.0.31-2429075
    dpi(at sign)DELL135 #1
    Wed Apr 30 18:49:01 KST 2014
    Build number: JSS15J.I9300XXUGND5

Hope this is sufficient information, if you need more please let me know.