Keep having to re-enter Twitter/FB login information

gmusser

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Every so often, my S3 running Android 4.3 crashes and wipes out my account information, so that I need reenter login details for Twitter, FB, and other sites. Do those sites have some kind of timeout or does this indicate a problem with my device? Sometimes the crashes also wipe out widgets, forcing me to set up my screens all over again.

In general, I've been very disappointed with the reliability of Android and the S3 - it?s almost enough to chase me back to iOS.?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I won't point any fingers at Facebook (oh, I just did) but that app had a terrible history of crashing. I'm sure it's better now, but it's quite possible that one or more 3rd party apps are causing your problems. Admittedly, crashing the whole desktop is pretty severe, but I'd investigate before switching to an iPhone (unless you have an upgrade handy).

I'd suggest the following:
- boot into Safe mode http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/devices/knowledge_base.html/59242 (you won't be able to use any 3rd party apps in this mode) and use the phone for awhile - if you don't experience any crashes then your problem is almost certainly an app that you installed
- if you updated your phone to the 4.3 firmware and didn't perform a Factory Reset and system cache wipe, you should go ahead and do both of those things
- you could take the easy way out and just start uninstalling a few apps at a time (reboot the phone after the uninstalls) - when the crashes stop you know the culprit was in the last batch

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

gmusser

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice - I didn't do a reset after updating 4.3. Presumably I need to backup before doing so. How do you recommend I do so? I tried Kies, but it hangs midway through the backup.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You're using Kies v3, yes?
I assume that you're selecting all of the items for the backup - you could try just selecting one item at a time so that you can see where the backup is failing, and just skip that item. Also, don't bother backing up the apps because there's no way to restore them.

You could try Helium: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.koushikdutta.backup&token=y7LOMQsK if you want to backup your app data (I'd suggest reinstalling the apps from scratch, then restoring the data).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke