Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GSDer
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S3 dead, kind of

Howdy ,
    I'm having a strange problem with my totally stock S3 with the latest android update. I found it dead in my pocket the other day. It was totally unresponsive to the power key.I tried about 5 different batteries to no avail. When I plug it into a car charger, it shows an empty battery with a frozen 'thinking' circle, then turns off. When I plug it into a Samsung wall charger, it does the same 'frozen thinking circle, ' then appears to charge the battery. While it's plugged in to the samsung charger, I can turn it on. It goes through the boot screens, but crashes during the Sprint splash screen. If I unplug the charger, it is completely unresponsive again. I CAN boot into recovery mode (with the samsung charger plugged in), and have tried wiping the cache. I don't want to factory recover it because the data on the phone is more important to me than the hardware. I can't get it to boot into safe mode. Any ideas?

Default Re: Galaxy S3 dead, kind of

Do you have an external SD card? Sometimes a corrupt card can cause wacky things. Try removing the SD and rebooting again.
    Thanked by:

Have you tried leaving it on the Samsung charger for an hour or two, to let the battery actually take a charge?
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for your time guys. I have tried with the SD card in and out with no change in symptoms. I haven't tried letting the battery charge, but I'm using already fully charged batteries when I try. I'll try letting it charge for a while and see if anything changes.

At a minimum it sounds like you need to reload the firmware using Odin. As long as you load the same firmware as what you had your data SHOULD be okay (no guarantees).

Your problem is pretty unusual though - I can't imagine why it has to have the charger connected in order to power on. Sounds like the phone thinks the battery is dead. Have you looked at the contacts inside the battery compartment?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    B. Diddy likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks for your reply. I have cleaned the battery contacts thoroughly and they seem intact and normal. I have tried several different batteries, too. I opened the phone up and found some areas with salt crusted over them (I hike with it in my pocket) so I cleaned those up as much as possible. I also tried to allow the battery to charge fully, but even after hours on the charger it still showed the batter at around 90 percent (no movement at all on the graphic). I will try reinstalling the firmware when I get home. If anyone else has any suggestions I'd appreciate them.

Quote Originally Posted by shtinkypuppie View Post
    Howdy ,
    I'm having a strange problem with my totally stock S3 with the latest android update. I found it dead in my pocket the other day. It was totally unresponsive to the power key.I tried about 5 different batteries to no avail. When I plug it into a car charger, it shows an empty battery with a frozen 'thinking' circle, then turns off. When I plug it into a Samsung wall charger, it does the same 'frozen thinking circle, ' then appears to charge the battery. While it's plugged in to the samsung charger, I can turn it on. It goes through the boot screens, but crashes during the Sprint splash screen. If I unplug the charger, it is completely unresponsive again. I CAN boot into recovery mode (with the samsung charger plugged in), and have tried wiping the cache. I don't want to factory recover it because the data on the phone is more important to me than the hardware. I can't get it to boot into safe mode. Any ideas?
    My wifes phone is doin the same thing. She went to be saturday night and it worked and sunday morning woke up to the phone having the exact symptoms yours is having.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

So I'm home now and trying to flash the firmware with ODIN. I can get ODIN to recognize the phone, but it identifies my SPH-L710 as a GT-7000. Not sure if that's an issue. Anyway, ODIN 1.87 gives me the following:
    <ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
    <ID:0/004> File analysis..
    <ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
    <ID:0/004> Initialzation..
    <ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
    <ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
    <ID:0/004> sbl2.mbn
    <ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
    <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

In ODIN 3.07, the write doesn't fail, it just hangs indefinitely on sbl2.mbn.

Not sure if I'm just having trouble flashing it, or if this indicates this is something irretrievably wrong with the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by shtinkypuppie View Post
    it identifies my SPH-L710 as a GT-7000.
    That's weird. You looked under the battery and it also says SPH-L710? Did you get this phone brand new? Ever mess with the firmware before?

Is this http://samsung-updates.com/details/1...10VPUCMK3.html the firmware that you're trying to flash? (That's the 4.3 firmware).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk