Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy s3 screen won't turn on

Phone was working fine earlier today. The battery ran out.

We got in my friends car and I hooked it up to his car charger. Tried to turn it on, it went to the Samsung screen then turned off. I assumed his car charger didn't work.

Got home. Plugged it in. Now the screen won't load at all, not even the Samsung screen. I can feel it vibrate when I hit the power button, but that's it. No LED lights or anything.

Things I have tried:

Removing the battery for various lengths of time and reinserting.
    Booting in recovery mode (nothing happens)
    Charging it for a long time
    Different chargers
    USB to computer

Things I haven't tried:

Different battery
    ???

Not sure what else to do here. I just don't see how it's a hardware problem as I didn't drop it or anything. It just stopped working. I don't know if my friends car charger had any effect on it, or if it decided to break when it lost battery power.

Any suggestions are helpful.

thanks

Default Re: Galaxy s3 screen won't turn on

Try getting a different battery for test purposes, this sounds more like a battery issue than any other. Most likely, your friend's car charger somehow managed to fry your phone's battery (that is why mostly OEMs discourage 3rd party car chargers).
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidProf View Post
    Try getting a different battery for test purposes, this sounds more like a battery issue than any other. Most likely, your friend's car charger somehow managed to fry your phone's battery (that is why mostly OEMs discourage 3rd party car chargers).
    went to my carrier today. they gave me 2 batteries from old phones. phone works! however, the charging port does not work, so when this battery runs out my phone will be dead again.

I can look to replace my charging port, or is there another way I can charge my batteries?

You can purchase an external battery charger and just swap batteries as needed.

Or you can purchase a wireless charging solution, which completely bypasses the defective micro-USB port.

Or you can get the port replaced http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerc...b-port-repair/

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I'd fix it myself but don't have the time. Don't want to be phoneless while I wait for the parts to come in. Decided to pay $50 and it is being fixed now. I also bought an external charger, so if something happens again I'll at least be able to charge my battery.