S3 LTE GT-I9305 with Android 4.3 does not have Edge option anymore

zeeliejm

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Good day

I came here hoping to get some help. I have upgraded my S3 to Android 4.3, but now under network Connections > more networks > Mobile Networks > Network Mode, I dont have the WCDMA /Edge (2G) only option anymore. The only options there now is:

• 4G/3G/2G (auto connect)
  • 3G/2G (auto connect)
  • 3G only

I need to set my phone to Edge only as that is all I need and to save battery. Can anyone help me please? My previous version had this setting.

Regards

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

Your carrier may have removed that capability, in which case there's nothing that can be done.

It's possible that the setting is just hidden, in which case an app like Advanced Signal Status http://market.android.com/details?id=com.cc.signalinfo may be of use
ry7agagy.jpg
(unfortunately this app requires root access to function).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

zeeliejm

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. The only thing that changed was that I went from 4.1.2 to 4.3. Did it using Odin. So that is why I was wondering if it's like that on 4.3. Looking to go back to 4.1.2 for now.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Looking to go back to 4.1.2 for now.
You'll want to be careful with that - Samsung included an enterprise feature called Knox in 4.3 which modifies the bootloader, making it difficult/impossible to revert to previous firmware.

Why don't you just turn off mobile data when you're not using it?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

zeeliejm

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Well, sing Whatsapp mostly and as I am out most of the day, I need Edge only, much less battery drain. But I really dont think its my carrier, which is Vodacom South Africa. It was all fine till I upgraded to 4.3 and I also used Odin to upgrade

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you just turn off mobile data when you're not using it.

The OP wants to save battery life. Turning off data won't help. I have a very weak LTE signal at the house. Even with data off the phone will switch to the LTE signal if it can. It'll switch back to 3g a few minutes later only to switch again in minutes. That constant switching combined with running the transmit power up and down really messes with battery life. I picked up at least 30% maybe more disabling LTE.

OP. Try the method here.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Android-D...for-the-Galaxy-S3-Saves-a-lot-of/td-p/3326169

Google "Samsung disable lte" if that link fails. It describes a way to access the network mode by ejecting the sim card therefore bypassing carrier restrictions. I haven't found any other method that works on 4.3.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835