Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy S3 LTE GT-I9305 with Android 4.3 does not have Edge option anymore

Good day

I came here hoping to get some help. I have upgraded my S3 to Android 4.3, but now under network Connections > more networks > Mobile Networks > Network Mode, I dont have the WCDMA /Edge (2G) only option anymore. The only options there now is:

• 4G/3G/2G (auto connect)
    • 3G/2G (auto connect)
    • 3G only

I need to set my phone to Edge only as that is all I need and to save battery. Can anyone help me please? My previous version had this setting.

Regards

Default Re: S3 LTE GT-I9305 with Android 4.3 does not have Edge option anymore

Welcome to the forums!

Your carrier may have removed that capability, in which case there's nothing that can be done.

It's possible that the setting is just hidden, in which case an app like Advanced Signal Status http://market.android.com/details?id=com.cc.signalinfo may be of use (unfortunately this app requires root access to function).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the reply. The only thing that changed was that I went from 4.1.2 to 4.3. Did it using Odin. So that is why I was wondering if it's like that on 4.3. Looking to go back to 4.1.2 for now.

Quote Originally Posted by zeeliejm View Post
    Looking to go back to 4.1.2 for now.
    You'll want to be careful with that - Samsung included an enterprise feature called Knox in 4.3 which modifies the bootloader, making it difficult/impossible to revert to previous firmware.

Why don't you just turn off mobile data when you're not using it?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Well, sing Whatsapp mostly and as I am out most of the day, I need Edge only, much less battery drain. But I really dont think its my carrier, which is Vodacom South Africa. It was all fine till I upgraded to 4.3 and I also used Odin to upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    Why don't you just turn off mobile data when you're not using it.
    The OP wants to save battery life. Turning off data won't help. I have a very weak LTE signal at the house. Even with data off the phone will switch to the LTE signal if it can. It'll switch back to 3g a few minutes later only to switch again in minutes. That constant switching combined with running the transmit power up and down really messes with battery life. I picked up at least 30% maybe more disabling LTE.

OP. Try the method here.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Di...f/td-p/3326169

Google "Samsung disable lte" if that link fails. It describes a way to access the network mode by ejecting the sim card therefore bypassing carrier restrictions. I haven't found any other method that works on 4.3.