Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GSDer
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Another battery life post

I've been using my Verizon GS3 since 2012 when it was released. It's been an amazing phone to have, especially compared to the Droid X I had had previous to this. It's unrooted and running Android 4.3.

It seems my charging port is wearing out. Various cables and my Anker Slim external battery have trouble staying connected to charge my phone. I have one meaty cable that seems to stay in the port perfectly to charge it that I use at home thankfully, so I'm not completely dead yet. I'm not ready to drop the cash on a new phone yet, so I will probably fix the charging port eventually, but I am still concerned over trying to squeak out some extra battery life. I've even been looking into some of the battery phone cases that various places have for sale, but my number one priority is protecting my phone. All the ones I've seen just seem to be a huge battery slapped on the back of the phone, a bit of rubber thrown on over that, and that's it.

I've been using OtterBox Defender series cases since I owned an iPhone 3G way back when. It's been outstanding at protecting my phones from everything I've thrown at it, from simple drops (which I do frequently) to way worse. Throw in the belt clip that makes carrying around a huge phone a pleasure instead of a pain by keeping it in my pocket, and for me it's a bit of heaven. I've been looking around and not seen really seen any battery cases that are remotely like the Defender series from OtterBox. And the OtterBox Ion series never advanced past the iPhone 4. Is anyone familiar with any cases that offer protection and an extended battery?

I think of myself as a pretty heavy user of my phone. I'm typically listening to podcasts, or using Audible, and rarely streaming music, for about 8 hours straight when I'm working. Throw in checking texts, some app usage like Pulse, and some random web surfing, and you've got one quickly dead phone.

I pretty much run the power saving 24/7, the lowest brightness setting, and I've made other changes I've seen in the "Battery Life" post that's stickied here. Lately I'm even disabling data when not using it to try and squeak out some more battery life, but it's not making much of a dent. I've even bought a new fresh battery to replace one that was less than a year old. I'm still wondering if my battery drainage is considered abnormal.

Tonight for example. I charge my battery to 100%. I'm running bluetooth, GPS, battery saver, brightness at its lowest setting, and using the Mapmywalk app and occasionally texting, and running Audible at 2X speed the entire time. I've set the phone to have only 30 seconds of screen time, and enabled "Smart Stay" for when I am actively texting, I finally get home and my battery has dropped to 62%.

This is what I end up with on the battery screen.
    Another battery life post-2014-03-31-06.53.31.png
    Another battery life post-2014-03-31-06.53.47.png

Is that abnormally fast battery drain or am I just that hard on my phone? Also any comments on battery cases I'd be interested to hear. That ZeroLemon battery case would be amazing if I didn't have to think about trying to squeeze that in my pocket or would I have the phone screen shatter the first time I drop it.

Thanks for anyone taking the time to read and comment.

*Also I just recently heard about the Snapdragon BatteryGuru on All About Android and I've installed that just recently to see if I'll get an help out of it. It's still in learning mode for the next few days though.

Global Posts
    22,140 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Another battery life post

Well, you mobile signal isn't so wonderful. What was the GPS on for?

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Welcome to the forums!

(Golfdriver97, looks like the GPS was on for the MapMyWalk app.)

Having the GPS in use (and the phone awake for that whole time) probably accounts for the huge battery drain in this sample. Looks like you were checking the screen frequently as well. If this is typical usage for you then a bigger battery (or external charging pack) is likely your only option.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpankN View Post
    I've been using my Verizon GS3 since 2012 when it was released. It's been an amazing phone to have, especially compared to the Droid X I had had previous to this. It's unrooted and running Android 4.3.

It seems my charging port is wearing out. Various cables and my Anker Slim external battery have trouble staying connected to charge my phone. I have one meaty cable that seems to stay in the port perfectly to charge it that I use at home thankfully, so I'm not completely dead yet. I'm not ready to drop the cash on a new phone yet, so I will probably fix the charging port eventually, but I am still concerned over trying to squeak out some extra battery life. I've even been looking into some of the battery phone cases that various places have for sale, but my number one priority is protecting my phone. All the ones I've seen just seem to be a huge battery slapped on the back of the phone, a bit of rubber thrown on over that, and that's it.

I've been using OtterBox Defender series cases since I owned an iPhone 3G way back when. It's been outstanding at protecting my phones from everything I've thrown at it, from simple drops (which I do frequently) to way worse. Throw in the belt clip that makes carrying around a huge phone a pleasure instead of a pain by keeping it in my pocket, and for me it's a bit of heaven. I've been looking around and not seen really seen any battery cases that are remotely like the Defender series from OtterBox. And the OtterBox Ion series never advanced past the iPhone 4. Is anyone familiar with any cases that offer protection and an extended battery?

I think of myself as a pretty heavy user of my phone. I'm typically listening to podcasts, or using Audible, and rarely streaming music, for about 8 hours straight when I'm working. Throw in checking texts, some app usage like Pulse, and some random web surfing, and you've got one quickly dead phone.

I pretty much run the power saving 24/7, the lowest brightness setting, and I've made other changes I've seen in the "Battery Life" post that's stickied here. Lately I'm even disabling data when not using it to try and squeak out some more battery life, but it's not making much of a dent. I've even bought a new fresh battery to replace one that was less than a year old. I'm still wondering if my battery drainage is considered abnormal.

Tonight for example. I charge my battery to 100%. I'm running bluetooth, GPS, battery saver, brightness at its lowest setting, and using the Mapmywalk app and occasionally texting, and running Audible at 2X speed the entire time. I've set the phone to have only 30 seconds of screen time, and enabled "Smart Stay" for when I am actively texting, I finally get home and my battery has dropped to 62%.

This is what I end up with on the battery screen.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-03-31 06.53.31.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	110220
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-03-31 06.53.47.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	110221

Is that abnormally fast battery drain or am I just that hard on my phone? Also any comments on battery cases I'd be interested to hear. That ZeroLemon battery case would be amazing if I didn't have to think about trying to squeeze that in my pocket or would I have the phone screen shatter the first time I drop it.

Thanks for anyone taking the time to read and comment.

*Also I just recently heard about the Snapdragon BatteryGuru on All About Android and I've installed that just recently to see if I'll get an help out of it. It's still in learning mode for the next few days though.
    Well having the GPS on will definitely make your battery drain. Plus you have Bluetooth on also...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    22,140 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

(Golfdriver97, looks like the GPS was on for the MapMyWalk app.)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    Saw that in the list, just wanted to make sure that it was.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Please post the full link next time - people shouldn't have to guess at where they're going; nor should they be redirected to some Spam advertising (that's what happened to me using the stock Internet app); and (not your fault) I didn't appreciate being told I had to enable cookies and install Flash (that's what happened when I used Link Bubble).