Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
04-10-2014 03:48 PM
5 replies
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default May have bricked my phone

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 (SCL21) from when I lived in Japan.

In an attempt to unlock my phone to use a US carrier, I installed a stock rom for a Verizon phone. It is now stuck in a boot loop.

I can still get into Download and Recovery modes. Flashing CWM with Odin and factory resetting the phone in Recovery have had no effect and I still get the boot loop on startup.

I still have hope since I can access Recovery mode and Download mode. Also, Kies has never been able to recognize my phone, so I cannot restore from a backup as I was never able to create a backup.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: May have bricked my phone

If you can still enter download mode you should flash the ORIGINAL ROM for your phone. Chances are the Verizon version just has totally different hardware components (not strange if your phone is Japanese and the ROM is form the US). And I might be wrong, but loading a carrier ROM would not unlock the phone.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

It took some searching, but I did find the original ROM for my phone. Unfortunately, I seem to have traded one boot loop for a different one.

How else does one get rid of a boot loop like this?

Did you try flashing the original firmware in CWM, or using Odin?

I don't recognize the model number that you listed - is that the full model number that's under the battery?

If you loaded the full firmware it should have been close to 1GB in size - is that close?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thankfully, I found another link to a my original stock rom and it worked out this time. No more boot loop.

The model number SCL21 is Japan only and sells under the name Galaxy S3 Progre. It seems to be notoriously difficult to unlock as it seems the base ROM does not support multiple CSC. Normal unlocking methods using Android Terminal or the developer codes have been unfruitful.

Any ideas on how to unlock this tricky *******?

Glad you were able to find firmware that worked.

Unlocking phones and switching carriers is outside my (limited) expertise. You could try contacting supreme83 (see http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=3317882)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk