Samsung Galaxy S3 Kies not working

beachbuggyman

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, i'm new to this forum, so please be gentle.
I've searched numerous kies threads, but can't find the answer to my woes.
Basically i can't find the option to connect kies via wifi. It's almost as though kies doesn't exist on my phone.
If i go into settings, i've got:
Connections
Network connections - Wifi, Bluetooth, Data Usage, More networks - Flight mode, mobile networks, Tethering and portable hotspot, VPN
Connect and share - NFC, Sbeam, Nearby Devices, Screen Mirroring

But no reference to kies, as i've seen on other phones.

Long story short, the usb connector has failed on the device (hence i can't use the usb connection) I can't charge the unit, so i'm having to remotely charge batteries. I'm 17 months into a 24 month contract - the screen is cracked at the top, and cannot be repaired by the dealer (It's taken them 9 days to decide this). The handset is insured, but i need to back up the phone before i send it to repair/replacement.

Is there an alternative to using kies, can i use an sd card, in which case do i have to get a card that's formatted to the phone. (I've had a card in the past which stopped the gallery from working)
Thanks in advance

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
Basically i can't find the option to connect kies via wifi.
I thought there was an app on the phone called 'Kies Air'?
If not, you can use AirDroid: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=com.sand.airdroid&token=Bh6--M7w
or any similar app that will allow you to use a browser on your computer to view the contents of the phone.
I can't charge the unit, so i'm having to remotely charge batteries
Why not use a wireless charging solution?
Is there an alternative to using kies
You could use something like Helium: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.koushikdutta.backup&token=HCi7TvUZ to backup your apps/app data and SMS (but not MMS).
And if you use a 3rd party launcher then you can save your home screen layout.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

beachbuggyman

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your replies.
Its mainly my contacts I need to backup. Pictures and videos are automatically sent to my laptop via dropbox. I can also bluetooth them if needs be.
I have got Kies Air, and have just tried Airdroid, but these only allow me to view/edit my contacts, but not save or back them up.
Helium looked promising, but it keeps prompting me to connect via usb cable, not wifi, so again this won't work for me.
I've bought a qi wireless charging station, but it seems to intermittently charge, making me suspect there is a charging issue with the phone itself.
Thanks again for your help.

beachbuggyman

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I think i've managed to backup my contacts using an app called backup contacts by red rock as. it's made a backup file which is sent via dropbox, bluetooth, email etc.
It's sent me a CSV file with all my contacts in anyway.
Thanks for all your help

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Helium looked promising, but it keeps prompting me to connect via usb cable
Ah, right - I forgot about that: if your phone isn't rooted you have to connect to a PC in order to initiate the Helium session. Sorry.

If your initial post had specified that you were mainly concerned with backing up contacts I would have given you some other options (although, if you sync your account with Google your contacts should be saved online).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Dr Rose

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I heard about an app called MobileGo as an alternative to Kies that can back up your contacts, SMS, apps, call logs, music, videos, photos, and calendar. You can restore all or just one of backup files to your phone or tablet with a single click.
I never get a chance to try it but it may work for you.