Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Thumbs down Galaxy S3 turning off and on repeatedly

Hi,

I have had the S3 for around 20 months now and this has been a recurring problem for around the last 8 of those, but only today has it incapacitated the phone. Basically, it will just turn itself off and on repeatedly very quickly (about 5 second between each time it turns "on"). I have tried a number of things, including factory resets, cleaning the bits of the battery that connect to the phone and even aggressively shouting and swearing at the handset, all of which have solved the problem for a limited time before it happens again a week or so later. I've been told by a friend that it needs "reflashing", but I've no idea what that means or how it will solve the problem.

Any ideas? Thanks

Default Re: Galaxy S3 turning off and on repeatedly

Sounds as though you may have a faulty power button, or something is making the power button register a click..
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

That sounds very plausible, and would explain why it sometimes appears to work when I hit it violently against things, which probably nudges something

Welcome to the forums!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregwolfman View Post
    and even aggressively shouting and swearing at the handset
    Much like my ex-wife, my phone just ignores me...

I'd agree with the previous poster that this is a sign that your Power switch is failing (which is pretty common). If you know someone who is handy with a soldering iron you can replace it; the part is cheap.

Otherwise you could try something like http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerc...button-repair/

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I just pressed it very hard repeatedly and all seems to be working now. Will do that again next time. Thanks for all the help!