Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Water Damage Help

So I accidentally dropped my Galaxy S 3 in water when playing music through the speaker, but removed it immediately (practically in 5 seconds), to see that the screen was still on, but the speaker seemed to had stopped working. I immediately removed the back cover and took out the battery and saw that the water indicator inside the battery compartment was still white. Is this a good sign, even though it did fall in water and the speaker stopped working? I am going to leave it in rice for 24 hours to hopefully salvage my phone, because I really need it. If all else fails since the water indicator is still white would I be able to get a another phone under warranty, or are there other indicators to check for water damage? Thank you so much for your help!
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,442 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Default Re: Water Damage Help

Welcome to Android Central
    5 seconds isn't long, so I imagine it'll be fine if you leave it out to dry for a day or two. Not sure about the water damage indicator, but it'd still be worth a try to make a warranty/insurance claim.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Welcome to Android Central
    5 seconds isn't long, so I imagine it'll be fine if you leave it out to dry for a day or two. Not sure about the water damage indicator, but it'd still be worth a try to make a warranty/insurance claim.

Thank you for the quick reply. I am really hoping leaving it in rice will do the trick, especially since the indicator is still white. Hopefully it didn't get too much water damage. I have read stories that people had their phones submerged for minutes, the screen going completely off, and were still able to save it. I really am hoping I will be that lucky.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,442 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by OralBee View Post
    Thank you for the quick reply. I am really hoping leaving it in rice will do the trick, especially since the indicator is still white. Hopefully it didn't get too much water damage. I have read stories that people had their phones submerged for minutes, the screen going completely off, and were still able to save it. I really am hoping I will be that lucky.
    Yeah, really depends on where the water seeped through. Let me know how it goes

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yeah, really depends on where the water seeped through. Let me know how it goes

I will. Thanks again for the feedback!
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,442 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

I will. Thanks again for the feedback!
    No problem

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

No problem

I just tried it out this morning, and everything seems good to go! The speaker, calling, and everything seems to be working fine now. Hopefully I am not jinxing it, hah. I am so happy that I didn't have to shell out additional money to get a whole new phone. Thanks again for the feedback!
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,442 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

I just tried it out this morning, and everything seems good to go! The speaker, calling, and everything seems to be working fine now. Hopefully I am not jinxing it, hah. I am so happy that I didn't have to shell out additional money to get a whole new phone. Thanks again for the feedback!
    Awesome. Glad it worked
    See you around the forums

Sent from my Galaxy S4

I have a S-738 model...I did the rice for 3 days. Everything seems to work but the touch screen.....I couldn't get into my phone due to the lock screen....so I put my phone back into factory set up. Now I can't even finish the start up due to the touch sensors not working....Am I fighting a lost cause here???

Welcome to the forums!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hartley View Post
    Am I fighting a lost cause here?
    Probably. And unless you can find a used screen for $50 it's probably a better investment to take the ~$130 you'd spend on a new screen assembly and just put it towards a Moto X, which you can get off contract for about $300 (I'm quoting the 32GB model).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    Brent Hartley likes this.

Why do you keep pushing the Moto X so hard in the Samsung forum?
    If you're so dead set against these, why do you bother coming here?

AC App on SGS3

Quote Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
    Why do you keep pushing the Moto X so hard in the Samsung forum?
    When you find a brand new phone, with comparable specs, for $225 off contract (the 16GB model), that has the latest version of Android, let me know and I'll recommend THAT phone too. Not everyone has money to throw around to get a replacement phone, or an upgrade in the wings just waiting for the opportunity to be used.
    In case you haven't done the math, insurance is not cost effective (in general a $100 deductible + $100/year = the cost of a brand new Moto X or Moto G vs. a questionable refurb [which is what they usually send]).
    Quote Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
    If you're so dead set against these, why do you bother coming here?
    Because I own an S3, so that's what I support. Just because I have an S3 doesn't mean that the sun rises and sets on Samsung - when there are more cost effective solutions to a problem I have no compunction about recommending them.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk