Galaxy S3 - how to factory reset if I can't get into settings?!

Muzzbug

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm having serious issues with my Galaxy S3. I keep getting the message 'Unfortunately, TouchWiz Home has stopped' whenever I try to do anything on my phone. I've read that plenty of people have had this issue and have had to run the Factory reset, but I can't get into settings to do this because the error message pops up every time I try and do anything. I've taken the battery out and replaced it but this hasn't done anything. Earlier on today the error message was coming up over and over again, even when I wasn't touching the phone, and it was constantly restarting itself. I'm quite literally not able to access anything on my phone due to the constant error message. Is there any way to reset the whole phone without having to go into settings etc? :- \:'(

Many thanks!

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Try this:
1. Power it OFF
2. Hold volume down and power up, holding volume button down.
3. Keep holding volume button
4. You should boot into Safe Mode(it will say so in the corner of the screen)
5. After it finishes booting, let go of the button.
6. Should be able to get into setting to reset while in safe mode.
Good luck!

Muzzbug

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi Lizardchest. Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, as soon as the phone is on (with or without safety mode) and I draw my unlock pattern, the message comes up and either goes to a blank screen or the phone switches off.
Can I reset the phone using Samsung Kies?

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
How about this:
1. Power off
2. Press and hold down the “Power” button, “Home” button, and the “Volume Up” button.
3. Wait for your phone to vibrate, then release only the “Power” button.
4. Wait for the Android System Recovery screen to appear, then release the “Home” and “Volume Up” keys.
5. Press the “Volume Down” button until the “Wipe data / factory reset” option is highlighted.
6. Press the “Power” key to select the option.
7. Press the “Volume Down” button until “Delete all user data” is highlighted.
8. Press the “Power” button once again to select the option. Your phone will then perform the reset process and display “Reboot system now” when complete.
9. Press the “Power” key to select the reboot option and complete the master reset.

I don't know if you can use Kies to reset. Never tried it...

Muzzbug

May 1, 2014
Visit site
That seems to have worked!!!!! Thank you so much!!!
*fingers crossed*

Should I disable TouchWiz now? and use Nova Launcher?

Lawrence Mokgawa

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys, I have wiped my phone using this method and now I get this message "unfortunately, setup wizard has stopped and com.android.phone has stopped"
What can I do to fix this?

Regards

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
I have wiped my phone using this method
Follow the basic steps to get into Recovery mode and clear the system cache and see if it allows you to proceed through the Setup wizard.

If not, perform another Factory Reset.

If that doesn't work you'll have to reload the firmware.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Reneemath

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
How about this:
1. Power off
2. Press and hold down the “Power” button, “Home” button, and the “Volume Up” button.
3. Wait for your phone to vibrate, then release only the “Power” button.
4. Wait for the Android System Recovery screen to appear, then release the “Home” and “Volume Up” keys.
5. Press the “Volume Down” button until the “Wipe data / factory reset” option is highlighted.
6. Press the “Power” key to select the option.
7. Press the “Volume Down” button until “Delete all user data” is highlighted.
8. Press the “Power” button once again to select the option. Your phone will then perform the reset process and display “Reboot system now” when complete.
9. Press the “Power” key to select the reboot option and complete the master reset.

I don't know if you can use Kies to reset. Never tried it...

So I went to settings and did a reset and ever since I have not been able to get it passed the T-Mobile screen I tried the method with holding the home volume and power button but it won't even go to the android screen where I could select anything it continues to get stuck at the T-Mobile screen! So frustrated since it's fairly new please help

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692