Simple password reset wreaks havoc

Vcize

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
While using gmail this morning on my PC I got a prompt to change my password due to an invalid log-in attempt. I did so, and of course that caused problems on my S3 since it now had the wrong gogle password for me.

I figured this would be as simple as entering the new password, but apparently there is no way to re-enter your password on the phone. The google recommended fix is to delete your google account on the phone (!!!), clear the data from all your apps that use google (!!!), and re-add the account.

I did that, and other than the extreme annoyances of having to re-do all my settings for those apps, my sync settings, etc (all for just a simple password change), the big problem is that now all of my contacts are gone.

I thought I had it set up to sync with my google contacts, but apparently if you add a contact through the contacts/phone app it doesn't do that (???) and re-syncing my google contacts just adds a bunch of email addresses. If I go into my app manager there is an application called "contacts storage" which is 9mb and I'm guessing has all the contact info that was saved to the phone? If so, how do I load this back?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you open the Contacts app, press the Menu button and select 'Contacts to display', is it set to 'All contacts'?

If you login to your Google account on your computer do you see any/all of the contacts that you were expecting?

When you first create a new contact on the phone it asks if you want to save it as a Google contact or a device contact - if you don't choose Google then any subsequent contacts you create are also just saved to the device and are NOT synced with your Google account.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Vcize

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
If you open the Contacts app, press the Menu button and select 'Contacts to display', is it set to 'All contacts'?

If you login to your Google account on your computer do you see any/all of the contacts that you were expecting?

When you first create a new contact on the phone it asks if you want to save it as a Google contact or a device contact - if you don't choose Google then any subsequent contacts you create are also just saved to the device and are NOT synced with your Google account.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

When I create a contact from the contacts app it asks me if I want to make it a device or google contact. When I create a contact straight from google hangouts (sms) or the phone it doesn't give me this option.

I'm assuming they've been being saved to the device all along. That said, shouldn't I be able to recover them? Like I mentioned that "contacts storage" app is still 9.2mb. I didn't wipe the device or anything, just removed and re-added my google account.

As far as the google contacts not showing up goes, yes my contacts all show up in google contacts and my phone is set to display my google contacts.

11580d1400870845-simple-password-change-wreaks-havoc-contacts.png

11581d1400870846-simple-password-change-wreaks-havoc-2014-05-23-16.08.22.png

11582d1400870847-simple-password-change-wreaks-havoc-2014-05-23-16.08.43.png

11583d1400870848-simple-password-change-wreaks-havoc-2014-05-23-16.08.49.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC