Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung galaxy s3 battery drain fast!

I charged my phone through the night and it charged to 100%. I woke up took it off the charger and in .5 minutes it went down to 85% so I plugged it back into the charger and it went down to 24% instantly. I just bought a new battery too. Also this battery is 3200mah instead of the 2200mah battery I had before.

Default Re: Samsung galaxy s3 battery drain fast!

Does this new battery take up exactly the same amount of space that the old one did (i.e. are you using the same phone back)?

Your problem sounds like a battery issue; you may have just gotten some cheap knock-off.

You could try turning the phone completely off and letting it fully charge, then take it off the charger and run it until it's at 15%; then repeat that again. If you still have issues then it's either the battery or the phone - only one way to find out at that point. Others have recommended:

2 x RAVPower 3.8V 2250mAh Cell phone Rechargeable Battery for Sams... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009758KK6?...0-20&m1k=vb_ac

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Im also having a problem with my galaxy s 3. The battery has all of a sudden begun to drain drastically. I tried to clear the cache and deleted apps with advertisements but nothing seems to work? It went from 100% to 52 in less than 5 minutes

Welcome to the forums!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaritzaKang View Post
    The battery has all of a sudden begun to drain drastically
    That's probably an indication that the battery is going bad. You can take the battery out and try spinning it on a flat surface - if it spins easily that indicates that it's bulging, which usually means that it's on its last leg. See above for a recommended replacement.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    Welcome to the forums!That's probably an indication that the battery is going bad. You can take the battery out and try spinning it on a flat surface - if it spins easily that indicates that it's bulging, which usually means that it's on its last leg. See above for a recommended replacement.

I want to root my phone to get rid of this battery drainage issue. Can you recommend a good ROM for this. Thanks.

Posted via Android Central App
    I ramble...alot, but not rii now cuz u read'n this.....

Quote Originally Posted by chasenfreedom View Post
    I want to root my phone to get rid of this battery drainage issue. Can you recommend a good ROM for this.
    That really depends on whether or not your phone already has 4.3 (with the Knox bootloader). Your best bet is to look in the model-specific sub-forum, and in the rooting sub-forum (if there is one).

You can also check out XDA to see what is currently being maintained.

Saferoot http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2565758 may be an option.

That really depends on whether or not your phone already has 4.3 (with the Knox bootloader). Your best bet is to look in the model-specific sub-forum, and in the rooting sub-forum (if there is one).

You can also check out XDA to see what is currently being maintained.

Saferoot [ROOT] Saferoot: Root for VRUEMJ7, MK2, and Android 4.3 - xda-developers may be an option.

I don't think I have Knox, It's been updated but not recently purchased. Its model # SCH-I535. Android version 4.3, Baseband version I535VRUCNC1, kernel version 3.0.31 se.infra@R0210-08 #1
    I ramble...alot, but not rii now cuz u read'n this.....

Quote Originally Posted by chasenfreedom View Post
    I don't think I have Knox...Android version 4.3
    If you have the stock 4.3 firmware then you have Knox. Just boot into Download (aka Odin) mode and look at what's displayed - if it looks similar to this

ODIN MODE
    PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
    CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
    CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
    SYSTEM STATUS: Official
    Warranty Bit: 0
    QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

then you have the Knox bootloader component.

Go over to xda and search for Saferoot

AC App on SGS3
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE

It's an obvious case of "fake battery" that has saturated the market. I'm concerned as this happened to me. Another concern I have is that NFC is so rampantly exploited and hacked.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocarter1965 View Post
    It's an obvious case of "fake battery" that has saturated the market. I'm concerned as this happened to me. Another concern I have is that NFC is so rampantly exploited and hacked.
    If you are worried about it, keep NFC disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by MaritzaKang View Post
    Im also having a problem with my galaxy s 3. The battery has all of a sudden begun to drain drastically. I tried to clear the cache and deleted apps with advertisements but nothing seems to work? It went from 100% to 52 in less than 5 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by ksmoove2 View Post
    I charged my phone through the night and it charged to 100%. I woke up took it off the charger and in .5 minutes it went down to 85% so I plugged it back into the charger and it went down to 24% instantly. I just bought a new battery too. Also this battery is 3200mah instead of the 2200mah battery I had before.

You should go on settings and my device. Then go on my device and click on backup and reset to reset ur phone. Then once ur phone has resetted and rverything is ready leave the software the same DONT UPDATE. It should be back to normal... Hope this helps

I also same issue Battery Drain..
    When you say DON't Update what does it mean... is it Don't update the Samsung Software ( i am on stock not rooted) or stop all app updates?

Hey all download a Cpu Spy from google market and check if your phone going to Deep Sleep i had same issue. Restart Phone help.

My wife and I have S3's. We both purchased new batteries last night. She checks her phone this morning and it says 100%. Takes it off the charger and back to 23%. How in the world can you fix this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by designwebs View Post
    We both purchased new batteries last night. She checks her phone this morning and it says 100%. Takes it off the charger and back to 23%.
    This was the course of events?
    - installed new battery
    - charged overnight
    - unplugged charger
    and battery instantly dropped from 100% to 23%?

Assuming that your phone is behaving correctly, have you tried swapping batteries to see if the unexpected behavior follows the battery or the phone?

If her phone isn't rooted I suppose you could try a Factory Reset to try to wipe the battery calibration data; if it is I'd suggest using something like BatteryCalibration http://market.android.com/details?id...erycalibration to reset the battery calibration data.

I fixed the problem. We got 2 new usb cables and the both phone charge just as they supposed to.

My phone has started doing something really strange over the last couple weeks. The actual battery performance seems to be about the same as it was before, but the battery life goes up and down like a rollercoaster. Once unplugged, it decreases rapidly from 100% down to typically the 40s, but then it will start to climb back up into the 70s or 80s, then go back down, all without being plugged back in. It's bizarre. I will get low battery warnings at 15%, and then a half hour later, I'll check the phone and it will show 50% life left. Sometimes it will go low enough to power off, but I only need to charge it for a few minutes before it starts climbing back up, and it continues to climb after I unplug. I took the battery out and tried to spin it as suggested in other posts. It doesn't spin. I know that doesn't mean the battery is necessarily good, but this feels more like a software issue, since as I said, the battery performance seems to be about the same as it always has been, other than powering off prematurely when there is still obviously a good amount of charge left. Any ideas?? I've attached some screen shots of my battery history below. Note how the charge goes up without the phone actually charging (charge bar at bottom shows when it was actually plugged in -Greg
    Samsung galaxy s3 battery drain fast!-screenshot_2014-10-10-15-28-44.jpg Samsung galaxy s3 battery drain fast!-screenshot_2014-10-09-22-39-46.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Latreille View Post
    Note how the charge goes up without the phone actually charging (charge bar at bottom shows when it was actually plugged in
    I believe the technical term for that is "f'd up!"

You could try the usual suspects:
    - boot into Recovery mode and clear the system cache
    - boot into Safe mode to see if a 3rd party application is causing that strange behavior
    - if you were rooted you could try BatteryCalibration http://market.android.com/details?id...erycalibration to reset the battery calibration data

Despite your inclination my first guess would be a flaky battery, but if you think it's the firmware then your best bet would be to reload the stock firmware using the Kies software or Odin.

- boot into Safe mode to see if a 3rd party application is causing that strange behavior
    - if you were rooted you could try BatteryCalibration...
    ... I have to admit that I did not understand a word you wrote. But thanks to Google searching, I was able to walk myself through the first two steps effectively enough. The third bullet point was the one that really made me nervous, but with very little digging, I discovered that I (thankfully) am not "rooted" and will not be in the foreseeable future, if ever Step 1 seemed to make it mostly better for about a day, and then the battery rollercoaster slowly came back. I am newly amidst Step 2 now, running in "safe mode". So is the idea that I just wait and see if the erratic battery behavior goes away with the phone in Safe Mode? And if it does, then all I know is that <something> on my phone is causing this phenomenon, but I won't know what. I guess at that point, I'll come back for some more advice. I'll keep you posted either way. Thank you much for your help!!! -Gr

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Latreille View Post
    So is the idea that I just wait and see if the erratic battery behavior goes away with the phone in Safe Mode? And if it does, then all I know is that <something> on my phone is causing this phenomenon, but I won't know what.
    Yes, if the erratic behavior goes away then you can be pretty certain that some 3rd party application is the cause. You won't know which one, but the first place to start would be any power/battery management apps.

Or you could use the shotgun approach and perform a Factory Reset, then very slowly reinstall the apps that you're currently using.

Sorry, I should have provided links to my recommendations.

- if you were rooted you could try BatteryCalibration [removed] to reset the battery calibration data

Despite your inclination my first guess would be a flaky battery, but if you think it's the firmware then your best bet would be to reload the stock firmware using the Kies software or Odin.

Had the same issue on all counts listed here (obviously) and booted into safe mode. Battery consumption is now 'normal'. Meaning I do not see the dramatic decrease in battery as I did. This leads me to believe there is an app I installed that is causing unnecessary drain.

I will do a factory reset and reinstall apps (and not install apps that I don't need) and see which ones cause the drain.

Is there a good way to determine the most recently installed apps? Knowing this would aid in finding out which one might be the trouble.

UPDATE: Never mind. I found that if you open Play Store, My Apps, All, you see them in the list of newest to oldest.

UPDATE 10/18: It seems to be a third party app. One that uses a lot of communication or processes that aren't being shown in the task management. Most likely causes are Spotify, SoundCloud, GSam Battery Monitor, Anything regarding Wifi status or conneciton, or TuneIn Radio. These were some of the last apps that I installed since August and once removed, the phone seems to keep charge longer.

Side note: I bought a set of off-market batteries thinking at least one might work. The battery drain issue started at about the middle of Sept '14 and I thought the original Samsung 2100 mAh battery was going bad. All of the off-market batteries showed the same symptoms and all would not charge to 100%. Booting into Safe Mode, all of the batteries tested so far seem to be holding a decent charge.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast