Greetings,

I'm trying to charge my S3 with this device:
    USBbuddy, Portable Powerpole (12V) to USB (5V) Converter and Device Charger [USBbuddy] - $19.99

Here is the problem:
    When I plug my phone in using a USB data cable, instead of getting the 500ma charge on the phone (which I should expect using a data cable instead of a charging cable), the phone doesn't charge at all. The phone starts to charge, but then after a minute or less, it stops charging. I don't have this problem with the Kindle I own. That charges ok. I'll say that I haven't tested the USBBuddy, but I'm assuming it's working OK since I can charge the Kindle.

Question:
    Anybody know why this may be happeneing? I would expect that the phone has a regulator that would only draw a certain current... but since I am using a data cable, why wouldn't the phone just draw 500ma? Also, if I buy a charging cable, would this resolve my problem?

I use several DC devices with powerpoles, and it would be convenient to charge my phone this way.

Thanks!

-Ray
    06-13-2014 09:52 AM
    Welcome to the forums.
    So you haven't tested the USBBuddy against anything else? I would do that first. Even another phone, test on a friend's device. Perhaps the unit is bad.
    06-13-2014 09:59 AM
    Welcome to the forums.
    So you haven't tested the USBBuddy against anything else? I would do that first. Even another phone, test on a friend's device. Perhaps the unit is bad.
    I am able to charge a Kindle. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that in my first post. Thanks for the welcome.
    06-13-2014 10:42 AM
    I am able to charge a Kindle. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that in my first post. Thanks for the welcome.
    Ok. I would still try with a third device. Maybe the power requirements of the kindle are lower.
    06-13-2014 10:54 AM
    Chargers designed for iDevices and Android devices often don't get along very well. I agree that I would expect 500mA with a data cable, but without knowing what sorts of protections the PowerPole has built in I have no idea what might be happening. I suspect it's the circuitry in the charger that's detecting something it doesn't like, and shutting things down to protect the device.
    06-13-2014 12:02 PM
    Other USB devices seem to like it alright.
    06-14-2014 09:26 AM
    As far as I know, the "USBbuddy" isn't designed for one particular brand, rather, it's just implementing the USB standard for charging. Yes, the listing says "Ipads and other tablets". but Powerwerx is more of a general dc power distribution solutions company. The very nature of Anderson power-poles is to increase modularity and portability.

Side note: I'm a ham radio operator. I am looking for a solution to keep the maximum charge on my phone when I am operating remotely (i.e. away from AC power sources). I would like to be able to tap into the DC mains from the generator to charge my phone without using an inverter.
    06-14-2014 09:39 AM
    You haven't said how you ARE charging if at all. If another charger is working that would rule out problems with the battery or phone's charging circuit--either could cause it to start and immediately stop charging.

I'd test the usbbuddy with a voltmeter. Too high or too low a VOLTAGE would trip the circuit's safety logic. The Kindle might have a wider tolerance.

Have you tried alternate cables? A pin on the phone or cable that is slightly bent might cause a cable to not work with one device while working with another.
    06-14-2014 10:41 AM
    You haven't said how you ARE charging if at all. If another charger is working that would rule out problems with the battery or phone's charging circuit--either could cause it to start and immediately stop charging.

I'd test the usbbuddy with a voltmeter. Too high or too low a VOLTAGE would trip the circuit's safety logic. The Kindle might have a wider tolerance.

Have you tried alternate cables? A pin on the phone or cable that is slightly bent might cause a cable to not work with one device while working with another.
    I normally charge the phone with a USB data cable plugged into my computer. That works as expected.

I have tried several different cables, all with the same result. Although you bring-up the nagging question for me... I may not be getting a "pure" 5v, or I may not be getting 5v at all.

The other question is whether the USBBuddy is already wired so it doesn't matter whether youre using a data cable or a charge cable. I'll contact the company and post back with my resuts. At least, I can assume I'm not missing something in the OS, like a setting I need to change, right?
    06-14-2014 11:09 AM
    After asking powerwerx, the circuitry of the product should support any USB device, and should work with the S3. This weekend, I borrowed an S3. I was able to charge THAT S3. No issues. I tried switching the battery on my phone, still wouldn't charge. So, unless I am missing some weird setting, I have to assume something is physically wrong with my phone.

Thanks for the help.
    06-17-2014 09:28 AM