S3 won't charge using 5v @ 3 amps/device using anderson powerpoles

Roodog2k

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Greetings,

I'm trying to charge my S3 with this device:
USBbuddy, Portable Powerpole (12V) to USB (5V) Converter and Device Charger [USBbuddy] - $19.99

Here is the problem:
When I plug my phone in using a USB data cable, instead of getting the 500ma charge on the phone (which I should expect using a data cable instead of a charging cable), the phone doesn't charge at all. The phone starts to charge, but then after a minute or less, it stops charging. I don't have this problem with the Kindle I own. That charges ok. I'll say that I haven't tested the USBBuddy, but I'm assuming it's working OK since I can charge the Kindle.

Question:
Anybody know why this may be happeneing? I would expect that the phone has a regulator that would only draw a certain current... but since I am using a data cable, why wouldn't the phone just draw 500ma? Also, if I buy a charging cable, would this resolve my problem?

I use several DC devices with powerpoles, and it would be convenient to charge my phone this way.

Thanks!

-Ray

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
So you haven't tested the USBBuddy against anything else? I would do that first. Even another phone, test on a friend's device. Perhaps the unit is bad.

Roodog2k

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
So you haven't tested the USBBuddy against anything else? I would do that first. Even another phone, test on a friend's device. Perhaps the unit is bad.

I am able to charge a Kindle. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that in my first post. Thanks for the welcome.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Chargers designed for iDevices and Android devices often don't get along very well. I agree that I would expect 500mA with a data cable, but without knowing what sorts of protections the PowerPole has built in I have no idea what might be happening. I suspect it's the circuitry in the charger that's detecting something it doesn't like, and shutting things down to protect the device.

Roodog2k

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
As far as I know, the "USBbuddy" isn't designed for one particular brand, rather, it's just implementing the USB standard for charging. Yes, the listing says "Ipads and other tablets". but Powerwerx is more of a general dc power distribution solutions company. The very nature of Anderson power-poles is to increase modularity and portability.

Side note: I'm a ham radio operator. I am looking for a solution to keep the maximum charge on my phone when I am operating remotely (i.e. away from AC power sources). I would like to be able to tap into the DC mains from the generator to charge my phone without using an inverter.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
You haven't said how you ARE charging if at all. If another charger is working that would rule out problems with the battery or phone's charging circuit--either could cause it to start and immediately stop charging.

I'd test the usbbuddy with a voltmeter. Too high or too low a VOLTAGE would trip the circuit's safety logic. The Kindle might have a wider tolerance.

Have you tried alternate cables? A pin on the phone or cable that is slightly bent might cause a cable to not work with one device while working with another.

Roodog2k

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
You haven't said how you ARE charging if at all. If another charger is working that would rule out problems with the battery or phone's charging circuit--either could cause it to start and immediately stop charging.

I'd test the usbbuddy with a voltmeter. Too high or too low a VOLTAGE would trip the circuit's safety logic. The Kindle might have a wider tolerance.

Have you tried alternate cables? A pin on the phone or cable that is slightly bent might cause a cable to not work with one device while working with another.

I normally charge the phone with a USB data cable plugged into my computer. That works as expected.

I have tried several different cables, all with the same result. Although you bring-up the nagging question for me... I may not be getting a "pure" 5v, or I may not be getting 5v at all.

The other question is whether the USBBuddy is already wired so it doesn't matter whether youre using a data cable or a charge cable. I'll contact the company and post back with my resuts. At least, I can assume I'm not missing something in the OS, like a setting I need to change, right?

Roodog2k

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
After asking powerwerx, the circuitry of the product should support any USB device, and should work with the S3. This weekend, I borrowed an S3. I was able to charge THAT S3. No issues. I tried switching the battery on my phone, still wouldn't charge. So, unless I am missing some weird setting, I have to assume something is physically wrong with my phone.

Thanks for the help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX