Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Duplicate contacts not linking

Hi

I just got my S3 back from Vodafone (UK) from repair and they used my old phone to upload contacts to it. Now, when I try to link my duplicate contacts (phone, Google, Facebook, Whatsapp etc) it won't link them.

So, I click on one contact, and under "Connections" press the chain button for linking. It displays the linked contact screen with that contact shown and the "Link another contact" button at the bottom. Clicking on that, it gives me a recommendation and then the rest of my contacts. So I click on a contact and it returns to the "Linked contact" screen with a popup saying "Contacts linked". But there is still just the first contact displayed in the "Linked contact" screen.

If I then return to my contacts, the two I just supposedly linked are still separate.

I've also tried going into a contact and editing their name - deleting the last letter, retyping it - which then brings up the contact I'm trying to link it to as a clickable link. Clicking this asks me "Link the current contact with the selected contact?" and clicking OK gives a popup saying "Error, unable to saved contact changes".

I never had this problem before when I was on an older version of Android. (As its come back from Vodafone Android is 4.3). I was just able to link as I tried to do above with no problems.

Does anyone know of any settings etc that may be causing this? Or any other bug? Or any way of fixing it?!

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Duplicate contacts not linking

I'd suggest syncing your contacts with Google (and export them to a csv file just for good measure) and then performing a Factory Reset and starting from scratch. Your contacts will get reloaded and then you can try it again.

You could also use the Kies software on your computer to backup your contacts.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I take it that with a factory reset it will completely wipe everything, and so all the apps and settings etc that I've been adding and changing etc since getting my phone back will be completely lost?

I did some option in contacts under "Merge Accounts" called "Merge with Google" which seemed to add a whole load of contacts to my Google contacts that I can view on my computer when logged into my Google account. I'm slowly working through that list in Google on my computer trying to merge duplicate contacts here (but obviously this won't merge them with my Facebook contacts). I think this may be working back onto my phone, so here's hoping! Then I somehow need to find a way to merge these ones with Facebook contacts - no idea why that isn't working.

I did think before my phone got sent off that my contacts were being synced with Google, as I had set this option in the Googly sync menu, but clearly that isn't sufficient for it to actually sync your contacts as when I looked at my Google contacts before I sent my phone off, there were very few there! Slightly annoying...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Armstrong View Post
    I take it that with a factory reset it will completely wipe everything, and so all the apps and settings etc that I've been adding and changing etc since getting my phone back will be completely lost?
    Indeed it will.

I haven't had any problem with Google restoring all of my contacts after I've nuked my phone for one reason or another, but I also use the Kies software to make a backup of everything just in case. YMMV.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk