Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default galaxy s3 doesn't recognize micro sd card

I have a 32gb Samsung micro sd card and my phone can't read the music on there. I've tried other cards as well. The music only works when copied to the internal storage. I've tried copying via usb, Google play, kies and having the sd card in the computer. Formatting hasn't worked either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: galaxy s3 doesn't recognize micro sd card

The music files need to be in a folder labeled Media or the player will not see them.
    SGH-T999
    T-Mobile USA
    Rooted Stock 4.3
    (No KNOX)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GTWalling View Post
    The music files need to be in a folder labeled Media or the player will not see them.
    Wrong. I have music in folders all over the place on mine. One called 'stuff' and another called 'other things' and I have no problems
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Adding a media file didn't work for me. Only a few of the songs copy and stay on the sd card. The names of songs are changed and unplayable but the storage on my card is still used up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails galaxy s3 doesn't recognize micro sd card-screenshot_2014-07-02-15-01-57-1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle1 View Post
    The names of songs are changed and unplayable but the storage on my card is still used up.
    That screenshot shows corrupted content. You can:
    - reformat the SD card in the phone, then try copying media back to the SD card when the phone is connected to your computer (or use a wireless file transfer solution like AirDroid or any of the bazillion similar apps); if you go the direct connect route you can try using the Kies software to manage the files
    - forget that SD card (it'll probably always give you problems) and try a different one
    - try an app like SDFormatter https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ and format the SD card in your computer (you may have buy an SD writer - you can get reliable ones for under $10)
    - skip SD cards altogether - they have been very problematic for some people, particularly with lots of media files (I had a 64GB SDXC completely corrupted so that it was unrecoverable even on a PC - YMMV)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I've already tried using kies, air droid, Google play, copying while connected to the computer, reformatting the card while in the phone and computer. This is the 2nd new card I have bought from the store. I'll try the sdformatter app next. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    That screenshot shows corrupted content. You can:
    - reformat the SD card in the phone, then try copying media back to the SD card when the phone is connected to your computer (or use a wireless file transfer solution like AirDroid or any of the bazillion similar apps); if you go the direct connect route you can try using the Kies software to manage the files
    - forget that SD card (it'll probably always give you problems) and try a different one
    - try an app like SDFormatter https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ and format the SD card in your computer (you may have buy an SD writer - you can get reliable ones for under $10)
    - skip SD cards altogether - they have been very problematic for some people, particularly with lots of media files (I had a 64GB SDXC completely corrupted so that it was unrecoverable even on a PC - YMMV)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
    Got it!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

The sd formatter didn't work either, but thanks for the suggestions.

The sd formatter didn't work either
    Not even on a different SD card? You are using an SD writer connected to your computer, right?

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I've tried 3 different sd cards. I don't know what an sd writer is. I've tried connecting my phone to the computer via usb, and by all the other ways listed above. I just don't understand why the music works fine only on internal storage.

reformatting the card while in the phone and computer.
    The sd formatter didn't work either
    The SD formatter won't work while the SD card is in your phone; if you're having problems formatting the SD cards while in your computer then it's time to try an external SD reader/writer. I had nothing trouble with the one built-in to my laptop and just bought a USB one that I can trust.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

When I used the sd formatter, the card was in the computer.