Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default system memory

Is 3.80GB a normal amount of storage space needed to run the system on an S3? (its a virgin mobile phone).

It's frustrating to have only 7.57GB of space left on the phone when i only have 430MB of pictures, and music, AND videos on the phone. I've had the "memory almost full" warning pop up several times, and have had to clear pics and vids off my phone much much sooner that i used to have to on my S2, so i don't keep many pics and vids on the phone anymore, as you see by the numbers above. I also don't take 8MB pics anymore. I lowered the setting. I never used to worry about that on my S2. (On this phone i have 67MB of downloads and 2.69 GB of Apps, 1.07GB Misc files, 239MB cached data).

Thanks!!!
    I guess its time to get an external SD. Never had to worry about that on my S2 either.

Global Posts
    31,628 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Default Re: system memory

Could you post screenshots of your storage stats, please?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

here you go. Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails system memory-screenshot_2014-07-18-11-00-37.png  

Global Posts
    31,628 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

O would try rebooting into recovery and clearing the system cache.
    Here is how: [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

Signed, a Nexus 5, AC forums app, and Android L.

Welcome to the forums!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexphilly69 View Post
    Is 3.80GB a normal amount of storage space needed to run the system on an S3?
    The stats listed in your screenshot are perfectly normal - out of 16GB total the Android OS uses between 4-5GB (including temporary files, system cache, etc). Don't forget all of the bloatware that the carriers build in, as well as all of the Google apps/services.

As time has progressed it's become evident that 8GB and 16GB devices will no longer cut it, especially ones that don't have SD card support.

Be sure, if you decide to get an SD card, to establish some kind of backup mechanism, since the S3 has been known to corrupt cards with little/no warning.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

thank you everyone!

Use a file browser and get to the thumbnails folder. Delete everything. They will be restored, but not deleted pictures.

AC App on SGS3
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

it's called AC app?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexphilly69 View Post
    it's called AC app?
    No, that's his 'signature' - he (apparently) uses the Android Central app (Android Central http://market.android.com/details?id...oidcentral.app)
    to monitor the forums.

You can use the included 'My files' app to browse the contents of your internal memory/SD card, or there's a bazillion apps that you can try (ex. ES File Explorer http://market.android.com/details?id...gs.android.pop).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

oh, hahahaha. Thanks GSDer.
    alex
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

hey AxlMyk, where can i find this thumbnails folder? I used my MyFiles app, but it didn't find a folder called "thumbnails" I used the search feature... thanks again

If you look in the DCIM folder you should see a folder named ".thumbnails" - you may have to enable showing hidden files in the MyFiles app (I don't have it installed or I'd tell you the exact verbiage).

Please note that deleting the thumbnails isn't going to do much - the next time you run the Gallery app it's just going to regenerate them.

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    Please note that deleting the thumbnails isn't going to do much - the next time you run the Gallery app it's just going to regenerate them.
    That's right. But as I mentioned, it will not regenerate T-nails from deleted pictures. Those are still sticking around, and can add up to some serious space, so you want to get rid of them. Especially if you have any. thumbdata*** files. They can be several hundred megabytes in size.

AC App on SGS3