Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S3 sync issue with Outlook

Hi Guys

New to this forum, looking forward to getting involved.
    My immediate issue is that I have a Galaxy S3 with a slight issue on contact sync with Outlook 2010.
    My Outlook is populated from Salesforce via their link add-in and it seems to work fine with Outlook - changes I make in Salesforce are applied to Outlook. However, my phone is keeping hold of old phone numbers when I make changes. Salesforce is correct, the changes in Salesforce have corrected Outlook but my phone now has 2 phone numbers listed for several contacts - a right one and a wrong one for each.
    Have tried looking at sync settings but can find nothing that looks like it will help.
    Short of removing the account from my phone and reinstalling it I'm not sure what else to do.
    Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve

Default Re: Galaxy S3 sync issue with Outlook

I think whats happening is that the outlook on your device stores the old numbers instead of updating them and discarding the old number. When you check the contacts on your address book via a computer, do you see the previous old numbers? the what icon displays on the wrong contacts? please send a screenshot.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Outlook on my PC is correct, the old number has been deleted. But my phone has created the new number and retained the old one. The old number was 01383 422175, this was changed to 01383 421175

Galaxy S3 sync issue with Outlook-2014-09-03-11.08.54.png

Galaxy S3 sync issue with Outlook-capture.jpg
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Hmm there must be some relevance in there being 2 exchange links in the connection heading on the phone. I guess that means data for that contact is coming from 2 sources ?

Quote Originally Posted by misterfrostie View Post
    Hmm there must be some relevance in there being 2 exchange links in the connection heading on the phone. I guess that means data for that contact is coming from 2 sources ?
    yes, your phone seems to have the other contact from somewhere maybe Google or somewhere else. I thought it would be Google and maybe see the icon on the side, but it doesn't seem to show.Can you try and turn Google contacts off on your device, under contacts menu, tap on the setting that lets you show phone contacts only.

Quote Originally Posted by misterfrostie View Post
    I think tapping the link on the far right, will reveal the exchange account connected to your contacts. one source is an old one and the other one you frequently use.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

They're both exchange contacts, nothing to do with Google. Very odd as I only have one exchange account.
    I have now tried removing the account and reinstating it but I'm back to where I started.
    As far as I can make out these all relate to the same account in Salesforce. Not sure if Salesforce is the issue though because Outlook is correct and reflects the up to date information.
    I can click on the minus signs at the side of the source of this data as below. It seems that these contacts have become linked contacts - Android seems to think they are 2 records merged into one. I can unlink them, then it creates 2 separate contacts. I just have to delete the one with the wrong phone number then I'm sorted. However, I'd rather find out why this has happened then I can be sure it won't keep happening in future.
    Galaxy S3 sync issue with Outlook-2014-09-03-16.32.23.png
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Problem solved. Don't know why I didn't see this before but it looks like these contacts had been entered manually into Outlook as well as imported via Salesforce. Manual entries deleted, all is good now