Heaphone Jack Peculiarities

Ericeman

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
So it seems typical enough, the Galaxy S3 says a pair of headphones is in when it's not. This means both the speaker and the receiver won't play audio without an app like SoundAbout to force them on. Maybe this means it needs another go around in a container of rice or a blast of compressed air which I don't have at the moment.

What's strange though is that upon restarting the phone sound comes from the speakers meaning (and tell me if I'm wrong here) if there was moisture shorting the headphone jack it should automatically recognize it as the headphones being in. I didn't factory reset yet but I'm wondering if there's any chance this is a software issue rather than a hardware one.

Thanks!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like a hardware problem to me. Time to try compressed air (get some!) or electronic contact cleaner (be sure the battery is removed). You can use a magnifying glass to examine the jack - perhaps one of the contacts is bent or something.

And you alluded to previous water damage - it may be that you just need to replace that assembly http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-headphone-jack-replacement-service/ (or you can order the part and DIY).

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Ericeman

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! Just confirming that there's no evidence of this being a common software problem. I don't think there was water damage but you know, quickly flipping your phone out in the rain or something it's all too likely. I should get really get a case with a cover for that port especially given my Galaxy is also my music player.

I did notice it was it's own separate assembly and the reason why I'm more frustrated than freaked out is because it looked like a simple enough replacement. I get why more threads don't suggest anyone and everyone open their phone but the part is really simple to get to and remove.

Thanks again.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure you'd find it relatively easy to replace the headphone assembly yourself.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2