Brushed aluminum vs. Pleather!!! HELP

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to replace the back cover of my Galaxy S3. I'm looking at either a brushed aluminum back plate, or a pleather back. I don't like to use phone cases, by the way.

Brushed aluminum pros: Feels extremely premium. Could protect the phone pretty well.
Cons: The metal might interfere with the cellphone signals. Might scratch easily. Metal is not grippy.

Pleather pros: Feels more premium than Samsung's glossy plastic, but not as premium as aluminum. Won't scratch as easily. More grippy than plastic or metal.
Cons: Won't protect the phone as well as aluminum. Might make my hand sweaty in hot weather.

I heard that aluminum phones scratch really easily, is this true? I'm not sure what to get! Opinions? What would be best for a smartphone? Samsung is making some Galaxy devices with faux-leather backs... maybe there's a good reason for that?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Cons: The metal might interfere with the cellphone signals.
I'm no RFI engineer, but I'd change 'might' to 'will' - metal that wasn't part of the design is going to cause interference with the various antennas. At best you'll get a lousy signal; at worst you'll burn up the power amplifiers.

"But other phones have metal cases!" you might say - true, but that was part of their design from the ground up: they use the metal case as part of the antenna setup.

Regarding the other con - just take your keys and run them on the case of a demo M8 in one of the stores - that's what'll happen to your pretty case when you put it in your pocket.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress