Photos in gallery are blacked out

Umehuma

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
My photos in the camera folder in gallery are blackened. My phone is sometimes used by my baby who is 11/2 yrs old. I just dont know what she has done. I backup my photos to google photos. Even there the photos are blackened. Can I recover those photos? Anybody with any help????

Posted via the Android Central App

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Do they just seem darker like a filter was used on the photo, or is the thumbnail a black square?
Were they ever good pics or were they always dark, let's say when you previewed the pic after taking it?

If they just seem dark and they were never good, like in the preview after taking the pic, I would say your ISO setting has been adjusted from Auto, or your EV setting has been changed from the 0 position. I would first check your camera settings. Also if this is the case you may be able to save some of the pics with a photo editing app. Most will allow you to increase the brightness of pics and change contrasts to somewhat improve pics. They probably won't be perfect but better than little dark boxes.

Now if the pics were good and now they are not or if they appear as little black boxes, that could be more difficult to resolve. I don't know of any app that will mass edit pics, so for her to have affected multiple pics at one time seems kind of far fetched, but usually pics that have been edited and saved have an original pic still in there under a different name. So you may be looking at duplicates. Most of the apps I use rename the pic something similar to the original or use part of the original name so check for duplicates. If somehow the pic was saved with the original name and overwritten it will depend on what the edit was as to if the pic can be restored. Some edits can be reversed with opposite edits, and finding out if that is possible will be a matter of playing with it to see what you get.

Umehuma

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Do they just seem darker like a filter was used on the photo, or is the thumbnail a black square?
Were they ever good pics or were they always dark, let's say when you previewed the pic after taking it?

If they just seem dark and they were never good, like in the preview after taking the pic, I would say your ISO setting has been adjusted from Auto, or your EV setting has been changed from the 0 position. I would first check your camera settings. Also if this is the case you may be able to save some of the pics with a photo editing app. Most will allow you to increase the brightness of pics and change contrasts to somewhat improve pics. They probably won't be perfect but better than little dark boxes.

Now if the pics were good and now they are not or if they appear as little black boxes, that could be more difficult to resolve. I don't know of any app that will mass edit pics, so for her to have affected multiple pics at one time seems kind of far fetched, but usually pics that have been edited and saved have an original pic still in there under a different name. So you may be looking at duplicates. Most of the apps I use rename the pic something similar to the original or use part of the original name so check for duplicates. If somehow the pic was saved with the original name and overwritten it will depend on what the edit was as to if the pic can be restored. Some edits can be reversed with opposite edits, and finding out if that is possible will be a matter of playing with it to see what you get.

Thank you for the information.
The photos were very clear and good when they were taken and after that too. No settings are changed and the photos which are taken now are very clear. But there are no settings to change when we click a blackened photo: we can just use the photo not edit it. All other albums are fine in the gallery only the photos in camer album are blackened. Guess they cant be changed.

Attachments

• 20141113_064220.jpg
    20141113_064220.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 5

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the advice.

I wouldn't have given them the satisfaction... Just me.

Anyway, is it still happening or was it just one set of photos?
If it is still happening how long does it take for them to go bad?

If it was just one set of photos then I'd say we're not going to figure it out, but at least it has stopped. If it is still happening, I'm wondering how long it takes for them to go bad? Knowing how long it takes could help narrow down where the problem is, for example if they go bad after they try to back up there could be a problem with the backup program. If you are still loosing photos then you've probably lost the most recent ones anyway so this test shouldn't hurt anything. Take a photo and back it up manually. It sounds like if your settings are set to backup over network and wifi they will backup right away. You may have to change one or more of your settings. Try it and see if one you get a different result or two if they go black right away.

If they go black from doing a back up while on wifi I would say uninstall the updates to G+ and install them again to be sure they are not the issue, and then forget your wifi connection and learn it again. The wifi thing is a long shot but it's simple and easy. Same with the G+ thing, what I'd really like to see in addition to redoing the updates is a way to reset it to defaults, just in case it is a setting somehow. I guess to get that you could go into Settings>Apps>All down to G+ and clear data. This is different than clear cache and you will be back to square one with G+.

Umehuma

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
None of the photos after that are blackened. In G+ there is a folder called Autobackup. I found my photos there and they were not blackened. Still dont know the reason but got my photos back.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante