Why does my S3 sometimes becomes partially unresponsive?

kmarie2498

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
S3 sometimes becomes partially unresponsive

I have tried to find info on what my phone's issue could be but haven't been able to find anything/anyone with my exact issue. It's been going on for a couple of months, quit for a couple of weeks but has now started acting up again. I am not aware of any update that happened prior to my problem. Anyway, my issue; I will get a phone call, my phone will ring, the screen is black so I push my home button, it will not show me who is calling and will not give me any option to answer my phone, I can pull down my message screen which will show me who's calling but it still won't allow me to answer even though I push the answer button. I have to wait for the call to end which shows a missed call at this point and then it will allow me to call that person by pushing the call back button. I am sure that this is also a related issue, but at times if I get a text and I try to go to my text messages my phone will just sit there like I never pushed the button to view the message at all. I can move from page to page on my phone but my app buttons are unresponsive and will not work if I push them. Now, I can get my message button/apps to work if I hold down my home button and clear the current tasks that I've had going on. I don't know that it has anything to do with how many things I have open though because these issues seem to happen even if I only have one task going on. The only thing that seems to temporarily fix my phone is if I restart it, especially if I have the phone call thing happen. I am getting very frustrated because I'm sure there's going to be that one really important phone call that I'm going to miss and won't be able to reach the person when I try to call back. I wouldn't be surprised if y'all suggest a factory reset but I'm really hoping that someone will have a solution other than that. Sorry this is so long, just wanted to include as many details as possible.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: S3 sometimes becomes partially unresponsive

Welcome to Android Central! A couple of things to try:

1. Wipe the system cache partition, which won't erase any personal data: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html.

2. If that doesn't help, boot into Safe Mode, which prevents all 3rd party apps from starting. If the problem goes away in Safe Mode, then you know that something you installed is causing the instability. You may have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away, since it can be hard to pinpoint. How to boot the Galaxy S3 into Safe mode? | Support | SAMSUNG Levant