Can I strip down a galaxy s3 and use without the screen?

Blessedwalnut

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I was fixing a broken screen on my s3 and had disassembled it, and noticed that the screen is fairly easy to separate from the motherboard (ie one flex connector strip). This left me with a potentially stupid question, but got me curious. Is it possible to run the s3 without the screen connected, ie just the main motherboard with a battery plugged in?

I know this wouldn't allow control (no touchscreen or buttons), but I was thinking if it was already setup to run airdroid or similar, then this could be used to control it over a wifi network?

I haven't got round to testing this yet, as wouldn't know where to begin for any troubleshooting, but is it theoretically possible? Would it boot up fully etc, or is there firmware/hardware to block it doing so? Is there anything not on the main motherboard needed to run android OS, wifi, etc? If so, is it possible to separate these from the screen and connect them to the motherboard?

Sorry, probably very naive question, but thought I would put it out there as I couldn't find anything about it on the internet (hard to search for as all that comes up is how to replace the screen).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You could set up a VNC server (there are several free ones in the Play Store) to run on startup, and connect to it through your wifi from a computer running a VNC viewer (also free all over. VNC is pretty much a commodity, so any server should work with any viewer. I'd try it with a screen first, though.

Blessedwalnut

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Would it still boot as normal with the screen unplugged and he motherboard physically separated from the screen though ? I realized that I won't have the led, speaker or anything plugged in to know it is on.

Posted via the Android Central App