How to fix a "Can't play video" error?? [Samsung Galaxy S3]

Hamp

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to fix a "Can't play video" error??

Had to stop Google+ from reinstalling updates so I thought I'd post a solution here before anyone else ran into this issue.
If you want to control the behavior of all of the apps on your smartphone or tablet, head to the front page of the Play Store app, open up the main menu and tap Settings. Choose Auto-update apps from the menu and select Do not auto-update apps. Apps will now no longer install new versions without asking you first, and this applies to everything currently installed on your device.

If you want to single out one app in particular—maybe you've taken umbrage against its recent slew of new features—then you need to head into the individual app page on the Play Store, which you can do from the My apps link on the menu or by running a search. Tap the menu button (three vertical dots) from the app's own page and you'll see an Auto-update option, which you can then disable.

Source:Keep Specific Android Apps from Updating Behind Your Back*

Hope this helps!

Gauraw Singh

Aug 7, 2016
Visit site
Re: How to fix a "Can't play video" error?? [Samsung Galaxy S3]

My device is a T Mobile Galaxy S3. Prior to a day ago all videos that were downloaded via WhatsApp or other sources played fine. Now unless you access video files directly from the video player I get an "Can't Play video" error. No changes that I am aware of took place, no memory, software upgrades, no reorganizing of files.
How can I fix this?

Thanks,

Rich

Ans: No need to uninstall the update.

Go to app setting
Google app permission
Give permission of storage to google plus app.

And you are all set...

Benjy S-F

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site

Google+ update?? What does it mean?
I would desperately like to know this as well. All I do on my phone is watch videos YouTube, which isn't working anymore. WhatsApp videos and videos on my phone also won't play. Please, anyone, tell me how to fix this when I don't see Google+ ANYWHERE in my list of apps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I would desperately like to know this as well. All I do on my phone is watch videos YouTube, which isn't working anymore. WhatsApp videos and videos on my phone also won't play. Please, anyone, tell me how to fix this when I don't see Google+ ANYWHERE in my list of apps.

Welcome to Android Central! That was an old issue. Do you also have an S3?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Go to the Google Play Store and search for Android System Webview. Is it up to date?

Also, you're saying that if you open your App Drawer, you don't see Google+? If you search for it in the Play Store, does it say it's Installed?

Benjy S-F

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site

Also, you're saying that if you open your App Drawer, you don't see Google+? If you search for it in the Play Store, does it say it's Installed?
That is correct. Thanks for the help, but I've figured it out. All I needed to do was restart my phone.

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site

Can anybody help? I'm still having this issue after doing everything that's already been mentioned. I have an Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! If you already checked to make sure Android System Webview is updated, then let me suggest something that may sound irritatingly silly--uninstall its updates. Sometimes, Android System Webview updates cause glitches on certain devices.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Can you give us more details? Is this only for streaming video, or also locally saved video? Does it happen with any app playing any video? Does the app look like it's trying to play the video, but all you get is the waiting circle? Or are you getting an error message?

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site

Yes, it's with streaming video. It happens with all the apps that have videos, and yes I get the waiting circle. Although, it does play and every now and then, it always goes back to the buffering waiting circle every couple seconds.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

This happens on both wi-fi and mobile data?

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site

Oh no. If the WiFi is stable enough, then everything plays fine. I say stable enough because one time I was using WiFi, it always would shut off on it's own. Mobile data is the main issue here.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Could your carrier be throttling you? If you have T-Mobile, do you have Binge On turned on or off?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Throttling is when the carrier slows down your internet speed, usually because you've exceeded your high speed data limit.

MetroPCS's version of Binge On is called Data Maximizer. Try turning it off temporarily to see if the video streaming works better. https://www.metropcs.com/60-data-maximizer.html