Google Music (Play Music) - No Audio Ads & Ability to Seek/Skip forward/back

kildonan500

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I have an Verizon S3 with two different quirks (benefits) that my Nexus 5x does not share. The S3 is no longer on a mobile carrier (I just use Wifi but the issues existed before) and is running Android 4.4.2. The Nexus 5x is on Fi, running the latest version of Android (Nougat). I am rooted on my S3 but I think its the stock rom, and I didnt purposely do anything to make the behaviors described below happen.

The question is in relation to the free (no subscription) version of Google Music (also called 'Play Music'). First on my Verizon S3 I rarely ever hear audio ads (though banner ads are in abundance). I may hear one when I start a radio station, but as far as I can tell, never once the radio station is playing. On my Nexus 5x I hear radio ads what seems like every few songs.

Can somebody tell me why that is, and if I can somehow get my 5X (or other Android phone) Google Music to behave more like my S3 (i.e. by installing an older version of Google Music or some rooted trick/app?)

Secondly, my S3 is setup to only 'swipe' unlock. The lock screen (the default one as far as I can tell) looks like this;

xE7C5ov.jpg

Using the lock screen, I can seek forward/backward in a song (by dragging the dot left and right). I'm pretty sure this behavior is not intended to be available from Google (you can't seek within the app itself, so I dont see why they would allow you to do it while the screen is locked). Needless to say, I can do it on my S3.

Does anybody else experience this behavior? Is there some way to replicate it on my 5X (or another phone)?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Doubtful. The app probably just wasn't updated properly due to the S3 being an old phone. Ads are supposed to play for the free version to help pay for the music.

kildonan500

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Doubtful. The app probably just wasn't updated properly due to the S3 being an old phone. Ads are supposed to play for the free version to help pay for the music.

Thanks for the reply. The age of the app affecting audio ads makes sense. Any thoughts on the lock screen quirk though?

kildonan500

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site

Actually, I just checked and both phones are running the same (latest) version (6.15.3519-0.h.3320763). So there goes that theory :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuzuboiii