"Ok Google" Aborting

BigbirdPhila

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
Just bought an S3 mini running 4.2.2. "OK Google" in the original Google Search App (version 2.x.x.x) worked OK. Just updated it to Version 6.8.22.16 and now when I say "OK Google" it aborts. If I don't say anything, the strings "Listening ..." and then "Recognizing ..." appear and then the window disappears back to the home screen. If I say something, the words are echoed but after about 10 seconds the window disappears whether I have completed the phrase or not.

If I tap the microphone icon instead of saying "OK Google", my statement is accurately echoed and acted upon. In other words, it works!

Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a solution?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try going to the App Manager, selecting the Google App, and Clearing Cache/Data. Now try again.

BigbirdPhila

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your quick response. Forgot to say that I did already try that. Also cleared App Data. Also uninstalled the update, verified the original App still worked, re-installed the update, and the update still aborts.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Check to see if Android System Webview is up to date in the Play Store. If it is, try Uninstalling it, which will revert it to factory version. If it isn't, then Update it. This app can be the cause of various glitches, both if it isn't up to date and also if the current update is buggy for a particular phone.

BigbirdPhila

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
When I try to wipe the cache, I get "Error". I get a blinking status bar for about 2 seconds which then disappears and the text "Error" appears. The screen goes blank and the phone re-boots. I tried it 3 time with the same result. Any idea why a wipe of the cache would fail?

BigbirdPhila

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
I'd prefer not to do a factory reset and re-loading the firmware looks like it entails more risks than the actual problem. I think I'll just live with not being able to use "OK Google" for the time being until when/if a larger problem appears. Thanks for your help, B. Diddy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty