Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Which Class/Speed SD Card for Galaxy S4

Hi all im a new member here so do forgive for any mistakes. As you might notice from my username iv had enough of apple and decided to take the plunge and go with an android phone, while eyeing up the note 2 the S4 came to my attention so without any hesitation iv upgraded on a preorder.

As well as a new case (most likely neo hybrid) when they land in the UK, i need to know what class or speed is optimum for my new device. I dont want a card thats laggy and slows down my experience with the phone, then again ive owned iphones since 2007 so im not too familiar with sd cards. The main criteria is the card has to be super reliable, years ago i lost a ton of pictures on my sd card which were pretty important to me.

Any help with the fastest most reliable sd card out there would be very highly appreciated, theres just so many read/write speeds out there im just not sure whats best for me.

TIA
    buckwheatdx and Calidoc like this.

Global Posts
    1,816 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

Default Re: Which Class/Speed SD Card for Galaxy S4

First of all Welcome to the Android party. personally in my opinion anything class 6 or higher should be fine when accessing the SD card. If you are transferring files from a PC to SD card of course Class 10 is the best bt not needed. I recently picked up a Sandisk class 10 32 gb for 19.99. As for most reliable i have had many many different brands of cards and I haven't had issues with any of the major name brands. Hope this helps
    Palm Centro, Palm Pre +, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S4

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Never even thought about this, I was just going to throw in a 64GB SD I had lying around (Nexus 4 has no SD slot, so not currently using). Might have to check out the class.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Android!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks guys for the welcome.

Yeah i feel it would be pointless getting a slow card if it takes that much longer to save pics etc. I really want a faster phone, not wait a few seconds for it to load/save a pic onto the sd card. But as i said class 6 or class 10 dont really mean much to me as i dont understand the difference and their potential, iv even read somewhere that most phones prefer class 4 because of some technical mush which i cant remember.

It's very complicated, but let's make it simple:

* Class refers to the speed you can write large files
    * You'll probably want class 6 to properly record video
    * In general, the higher the class rating, the slower the card will be for general access

That last one is still a bit complicated, but making a card faster to write to generally has the negative side effect of making the card slower to read. If you plan to use the SD card mostly for media (songs and videos), then it probably won't matter much, though.

So class 4 and class 6 are generally good bets, but class 6 is probably better just because of the size of images and video on the S4.

Also, my personal opinion (not based on extensive research) is that you should probably just buy Sandisk or Samsung flash as a lot of the other cards are simply re-branded Sandisk and Samsung. I've also had the most luck with these two.
    Ying Ling likes this.

Global Posts
    4,847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Always Class 10, the cost difference between Class 10 and the lower speeds is not enough to justify the loss in speed. I got a 64GB microSD HC at the holidays for $55, they are likely down or near that now.
    bearda and Ying Ling like this.

Global Posts
    4,339 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

A Class 6 card will be fine. If you want a Class 10, then by all means get one. In all honesty, I have a Class 10 because I scored it for $32 and some change from Amazon. Do price comparisons and get what is best for you.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,512 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Also remember you won't get the class 10 speeds on Google even if you have a class 10 card. Android os isn't set up for it. There a ton of threads and even post or two by Google on it. Class6 is the optimal speed. Also be careful it seems like Samsung phones don't like sd card lately. For your videos and pictures sync them to the cloud with a app like dropbox. I actually doing miss my sd card thought I would. But I went bought bought WiFi HD 1tb it's nice I can share with all my devices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

ROM
    CleanRom 2.0 w/LK 06

Cloud storage is a great option. Class 6 should be good for the SD.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    Also remember you won't get the class 10 speeds on Google even if you have a class 10 card. Android os isn't set up for it.
    This was also my concern, pointless aiming for a higher class if it wont be utilised, also i think dropbox is a good idea. Im sure with the new S4 gives me a 50Gb dropbox account. Think i might go for a sammy 32Gb class 6 card and also sync media to the cloud as a backup- just in case. Seems like the perfect solution.

Global Posts
    4,847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

With data costs today on the carriers, I do not rely on cloud storage for streaming any content. Unless you plan on using WiFi a lot to stream I would suggest 64GB so you can carry what you want for playback. Oddly enough my iPod decided to go all fubar and no longer registers on my Win8 Laptop or my wife's Win7 desktop. If the "Genius Bar" can't fix it well then I guess it was just a gentle reminder how fickle Apple hardware can be and WHY I should be using my 64GB Class 10 microSDHC card for iPods, movies, and pics/vids I take
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Good point, but data charges are a thing of the past for me as im with Three UK. Ill get unlimited data, not just 3G but 4G too when it arrives later this year. But i think dropbox would be ideal for photos and videos especially just as a backup option incase all my hardware goes kaput someday. The music has defo gota be on an SD, by the looks of it i dont think any class of card should make a difference, aslong as its class 6 or above, think ive just answered my own question there.

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    ROM
    Decks GB 1.3d

Quote Originally Posted by zakth View Post
    Cloud storage is a great option.
    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Not if you are away from wifi a lot, listen to a lot of music or watch a lot of videos on your phone and have a limited data plan.

Global Posts
    4,847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by xioser View Post
    Good point, but data charges are a thing of the past for me as im with Three UK. Ill get unlimited data, not just 3G but 4G too when it arrives later this year. But i think dropbox would be ideal for photos and videos especially just as a backup option incase all my hardware goes kaput someday. The music has defo gota be on an SD, by the looks of it i dont think any class of card should make a difference, aslong as its class 6 or above, think ive just answered my own question there.
    Users in the EU have it better with data plans, but if you are in Canada or the US you are not so lucky

Global Posts
    4,339 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Bing bong, Jack!!

Data uses battery to find the closest network tower and download while sd card doesnt. In the long run it will save battery for those times you really need it.

I am in the same boat as the OP.
    Have had an 3Gs since they came out but I am tired of Apple's no external memory, difficult battery replacements and small screens.

I was looking to purchase a memory card before I got my phone.
    I read through this thread but I am confused.
    Looking at memory cards on the office depot website, I don't see any mention of Classes.
    I wanted to know if this one would work - or is there a better one?
    Not concerned about cost, just want the best card I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Reformed IOS User View Post
    I am in the same boat as the OP.
    Have had an 3Gs since they came out but I am tired of Apple's no external memory, difficult battery replacements and small screens.

I was looking to purchase a memory card before I got my phone.
    I read through this thread but I am confused.
    Looking at memory cards on the office depot website, I don't see any mention of Classes.
    I wanted to know if this one would work - or is there a better one?
    Not concerned about cost, just want the best card I can get.

That card is really aimed at new generation cameras/camcorders. Might be overkill on a phone.

John

Quote Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
    It's very complicated, but let's make it simple:

* Class refers to the speed you can write large files
    * You'll probably want class 6 to properly record video
    * In general, the higher the class rating, the slower the card will be for general access

That last one is still a bit complicated, but making a card faster to write to generally has the negative side effect of making the card slower to read. If you plan to use the SD card mostly for media (songs and videos), then it probably won't matter much, though.

So class 4 and class 6 are generally good bets, but class 6 is probably better just because of the size of images and video on the S4.

Also, my personal opinion (not based on extensive research) is that you should probably just buy Sandisk or Samsung flash as a lot of the other cards are simply re-branded Sandisk and Samsung. I've also had the most luck with these two.
    Searching Amazon, it appears all 64gb are Class 10.
    Device: Verizon Note2

I wish I saw this thread before I bought my SD card I bought a 16 GB class 4 card. I haven't utilized it yet though. It will only be for pics and maybe a few songs....but i do use Dropbox as well as a few other backup options,,

I spoke with Samsung technical support (Level 1 & 2) specifically about the SD slot when I was researching the GS4 before buying. This was because I had seen a lot of conflicting reports about compatibility of 64 GB cards. On the subject of Class rating, they confirmed that the SD Slot is only rated at Class 6. This supports what is mentioned above about Android limitations to Class 6. I've tried doing my own further research on Class compatibility and it seems that a higher class card will work, but just won't perform beyond the specs of the class the host device is rated for. However, I'm not an expert on SD card specifications and compatibility. Even the SD Association's website () doesn't explain it very clearly.

Additionally, in regards to the 64 GB cards which by SD standards are all formatted as exFAT, the GS4 does support exFAT (in addition to FAT) according to the official Samsung Galaxy S4 manual as well as the Samsung Customer Consultant Guide. This was one of my main questions when I called Samsung support. This information is not found in the watered down carrier manuals for the device (Sprint's manual is horrible!). If you get a message stating that the card is formatted incorrectly for the device, beware!, you'll probably encounter problems.

I'd say a Class 6 or Class 10 card should work fine, but you might see more stability with a Class 6 card since that's what the device is 'designed' for. Also, if anyone is curious, the UHS-I specification is not supported by the GS4. This is an additional speed rating indicated by the number '1' inside a 'U' on higher end SD cards. Most 64 GB cards will have this specification in addition to the usual Class 10 speed. The SD Association isn't clear here either on compatibility, but it does seem to indicate that you should not use a UHS-I card in a device that is not UHS-I rated. So if you want to be completely trouble free (hopefully), choose a quality brand 32 GB Class 6 card (my opinion).
    Thanked by:
    bearda 

... I think dropbox is a good idea. Im sure with the new S4 gives me a 50Gb dropbox account.
    I know this is an older post, I was looking at the best SD for the S4, and saw this....What? really? I didn't see anything in the box about any DropBox offers...is anyone with an S4 eligible for the 50GB? Is it permanent? How do we sign up?

Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    I know this is an older post, I was looking at the best SD for the S4, and saw this....What? really? I didn't see anything in the box about any DropBox offers...is anyone with an S4 eligible for the 50GB? Is it permanent? How do we sign up?
    Your carrier isn't part of this.

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

The Sandisk Extreme micro SD works exceedingly well and is substantially faster than the Sandisk Ultra. This makes a noticeable difference when moving files and launching apps. I love my 64GB Extreme.

Sent from my humble S4
    Live long and prosper.

Phones do not support UHS technology. Because of this, the cap data on any SD card on your phone is 25 mb/s read and 10 mb/s write speed. Get a class 10 because they should be the same price of Class 6/4 cards anyways and in most cases you are just buying old inventory with those cards.

You won't get any added benefit in your phone because of UHS technology not being supported, on your pc is a different story if you have a UHS compatible reader, but if you only have USB 2.0 you are limited by that bus speed which is never has lived up to what is has been advertised.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast