Samsung S4's Micro USB to Standard USB cable

shertan

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
on the my s4 , i seem to have the same problem .

here is how i got both the normal micro usb (5pins) and original samsung micro usb (4pins) to work on my s4 .

* i think that samsung has made an auto switch toggle for standard micro usd and original (with switched wires ) ** not proven by any test just my 2 cents .

1. select whether you are using original or standard micro usb ( select only one type of cable you want to use to connect to all your accessory : wall charger , car charger , pc etc.. )
2. Switch your device power OFF
3. plug charger on the wall with the type of cable you selected
4. plug your phone while off ( wait for the battery icon to appear . if no icon appear change your cable ... )
5. wait for it to charge just a little bit ( about 1-5 min )
6. turn power back on .

your s4 should be switched to use that kind of cable

**note - if you use the other cable by accident just repeat the procedure again .

this worked for me ... s4 is now charging properly .

shertan

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
on the my s4 , i seem to have the same problem .

here is how i got both the normal micro usb (5pins) and original samsung micro usb (4pins) to work on my s4 .

* i think that samsung has made an auto switch toggle for standard micro usd and original (with switched wires ) ** not proven by any test just my 2 cents .

1. select whether you are using original or standard micro usb ( select only one type of cable you want to use to connect to all your accessory : wall charger , car charger , pc etc.. )
2. Switch your device power OFF
3. plug charger on the wall with the type of cable you selected
4. plug your phone while off ( wait for the battery icon to appear . if no icon appear change your cable ... )
5. wait for it to charge just a little bit ( about 1-5 min )
6. turn power back on .

your s4 should be switched to use that kind of cable

**note - if you use the other cable by accident just repeat the procedure again .

this worked for me ... s4 is now charging properly .

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
For all of you that are saying your S4 now charges properly:

Have you verified that your S4 is charging at FULL speed?

If you install Galaxy Charging Current (a free app in the Play store), you can see how much actual current your phone is drawing. When I run the app and have my phone connected to the OEM charger that came with the phone, GCC shows 1900. That means it's drawing 1900 mA, or 1.9A. My phone will charge from almost dead to Full in about 2 hours when it is getting the full 1.9A.

But, I believe the phone has logic built in to recognize when it's connected to the Samsung charger versus other sources and, while it may charge from another source, it may only draw 500mA (as from a USB port on your PC) or 1000mA, which is what most non-stock microUSB phone chargers are rated for. In those cases, it will charge only 1/2 to 1/4 as fast.

Even using the stock charger with a non-stock cable could cause the phone to think it's hooked to a non-stock charger and then draw at the lower current rate, charging more slowly.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Even using the stock charger with a non-stock cable could cause the phone to think it's hooked to a non-stock charger and then draw at the lower current rate, charging more slowly.
Are you sure about that one? Unless the cable is so crappy that the voltage drop is large or the cable is actually defective in some other way (missing connection, wired incorrectly), I'm not sure how that case could come up. The way most USB devices figure out if they're connected to an actual USB port or a charger is by checking to see if the data lines are shorted together. If they are then they'll draw more than 500mA of current. Otherwise they'll assume 500mA is the limit. I've used a non Samsung USB cable with the charger that came with my Galaxy 2 7" tab (another 2A charger) and it charged at the full rate.

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
That's BS in my view.

I haven't even taken my cord out of the package yet. I use standard cables to hook my S4 to the PC.

It's a snug fit, but works just fine.

John

This, I have at least 2 spare generic micro USB cables to hook up my phone to my car radio and office PC. You don't need a "Samsung" cable.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure about that one? Unless the cable is so crappy that the voltage drop is large or the cable is actually defective in some other way (missing connection, wired incorrectly), I'm not sure how that case could come up. The way most USB devices figure out if they're connected to an actual USB port or a charger is by checking to see if the data lines are shorted together. If they are then they'll draw more than 500mA of current. Otherwise they'll assume 500mA is the limit. I've used a non Samsung USB cable with the charger that came with my Galaxy 2 7" tab (another 2A charger) and it charged at the full rate.

I'm pretty sure that it COULD. Not positive that it WOULD. But, I have read other posts (maybe on XDA?) about Samsung chargers putting a specific voltage across those data lines to signal that it's a Samsung charger. I also read something about some Samsung cables having a certain pair of pins reversed - also to allow the phone to detect if it's an authentic Samsung cable.

That's why I suggested for people to check their charging using GCC and report back. In fact, I'll do that now, myself. I have a couple of generic USB-microUSB cables around here somewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

This, I have at least 2 spare generic micro USB cables to hook up my phone to my car radio and office PC. You don't need a "Samsung" cable.

As I posted earlier. Have you confirmed with GCC that you are charging at full speed?

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
As I posted earlier. Have you confirmed with GCC that you are charging at full speed?

I don't care about charging speeds. All I'm concerned with is that the phone connects properly to my radio and laptop, which it does using the general cables.

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I just tested this for myself. I used a Revive DualFLUX AC adapter.

Amazon.com: ReVIVE Series DualFLUX AC to USB Rapid Wall Charger with 2-Port Design for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 / 7.0 / 7.7 / 8.9 / 10.1: Computers & Accessories

And I used a USB-microUSB cable that is an old data cable from a Blackberry I had long ago (a Storm, I think).

Using the BB cable and the Revive adapter (cable plugged into the 2x Power socket), I got 1900mA charging.

Using the BB cable and the stock Samsung AC adapter, I also got 1900.

So, I can't say that all generic USB cables will give full speed. But, if they don't, it must be down to being a bad cable. Not because it has to be specifically a Samsung cable.

And, obviously, the AC adapter does not have to be a Samsung, either.

Cool! Now I need to get a couple more of these Revive adapters. I like that they have a 2A output socket and also a 1A output socket. I will be able to charge my phone and a spare battery or my GoPro or whatever, all at the same time.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that it COULD. Not positive that it WOULD. But, I have read other posts (maybe on XDA?) about Samsung chargers putting a specific voltage across those data lines to signal that it's a Samsung charger.
Even if that's true (which may be the case) then how could a different cable affect it? Unless the cable is actually bad, any USB certified cable would still work.
I also read something about some Samsung cables having a certain pair of pins reversed - also to allow the phone to detect if it's an authentic Samsung cable.
That sounds made up to me. Otherwise no one would be able to connect to their computer using a non Samsung cable (which I've done personally) and Samsung would get in trouble for putting the USB symbol on their non-standard cable. Knock-off cables get away with it by counterfeiting themselves in places where enforcement is difficult, but we're talking about Samsung, not some fly-by-night counterfeit cable manufacturing operation in China. They'd certainly be found in violation of the terms of agreement of the USB-IF trademark agreement if they used a unique pin-out but still advertized USB compatability and used the USB logo.

USB.org - Logo Trademark Agreement License and Usage Guidelines

StuartV

Allergic to Stupid
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Somebody (again, on XDA, I think) posted pictures today of the Samsung microUSB connector on the cable that came with their phone, and a generic one. The Samsung one literally had one pin (Pin 4?) missing.

I don't know what the deal is, but I'm glad to find that my Revive AC adapter and BB data cable work together to charge my S4 at full speed. When I can find it, I'm going to also try the mutliple data cables I have that were for my (now gone) HP Touchpad.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Somebody (again, on XDA, I think) posted pictures today of the Samsung microUSB connector on the cable that came with their phone, and a generic one. The Samsung one literally had one pin (Pin 4?) missing.
Pin 4 is the USB OTG ID pin. When the micro USB side of the cable is the device side (which is what you have when you plug your phone into a PC or a charger) that pin is either left floating (not connected to anything) or removed. Both are acceptable according to the USB spec. That means that the Samsung cable with pin 4 missing is functionally identical to every other USB certified cable of the same type.

drowhunter

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung S4's Micro USB to Standard USB cablek

I will say this. I am able to charge my s4 with any kind of cable.

but the problem I am having is I tried to charge my nexus 7 with the s4 cable and the screen went all garbled
and now the n7 is bricked and won't turn on

don't know what to do now. :'(

grandam3400

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

I just plugged in a generic USB cable and got a notification message saying "To charge faster, use the charger and cable that were provided with this phone". The phone will basically not charge with this cable, even after 5 hrs...

I think there is def a difference in cables. My phone will charge must faster using OE charger and cable than even with my BB 3.0A car charger. I don't think the OE charger is higher than 3.0A. Now, I dont think this because Samsung cables are better (within reason), but maybe the phone has a setting inside that reduces the charging rate if the Samsung cable is not connected/detected? Seems crazy, but there are plenty of manufactures out there that do similar things. not with cell phones, but other things.

I might try OE cable with the BB charger and see what kind of results I get.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site

I've charged my S4 using a Motorola cable and a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 charger and gotten the 2A charge rate.

I read somewhere that whether or not the cable is shielded a certain way might be what the phone is trying to detect. If it's only shielded on one side the phone might be able to detect that and assume the cable sucks too much to carry 2A.

TravelinBri

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
My dog chewed through my USB cable and I've been using a Motorola USB cable from a previous Droid. Have noticed no issues. Even so, Amazon sells the replacement cable the Galaxy S4 for $5.99 (Amazon.com: pureCase Galaxy S4 Charger USB Data Charing Cable for Samsung Galaxy S4 White SIV S IV SIIII I9500 SC1H Charger White: Cell Phones & Accessories).

Also, the cable and travel charger together are available for under $8 as of today (Amazon.com: Samsung OEM 2.0 Amp Travel Charger with Detachable Micro USB Cable for Samsung Galaxy Note, Galaxy Note 2 II, Galaxy S3 S III, Galaxy S3 Mini & Other Smartphones: Cell Phones & Accessories).

richs10

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I tried to buy the 'out of the box' white charging cable directly from Samsung using the 50% off coupon for registering the phone, but they sent a short black one instead. I called them and was told the usb cable that comes in the box with the phone is unavailable aftermarket. She didn't know why. She gave me an RMA # for the one I bought and its on its way back to Samsung for a refund. Protect those original cords, guys!

oldspook

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
For all of you that are saying your S4 now charges properly:

Have you verified that your S4 is charging at FULL speed?

If you install Galaxy Charging Current (a free app in the Play store), you can see how much actual current your phone is drawing. When I run the app and have my phone connected to the OEM charger that came with the phone, GCC shows 1900. That means it's drawing 1900 mA, or 1.9A. My phone will charge from almost dead to Full in about 2 hours when it is getting the full 1.9A.

But, I believe the phone has logic built in to recognize when it's connected to the Samsung charger versus other sources and, while it may charge from another source, it may only draw 500mA (as from a USB port on your PC) or 1000mA, which is what most non-stock microUSB phone chargers are rated for. In those cases, it will charge only 1/2 to 1/4 as fast.

Did you take into account the condition of your battery? A fully discharged battery would draw much more current than a battery that is almost fully charged. The charging current might be 1900 ma on a fully discharged battery but would be much less on when the battery is at 90% charge.

I'm using the :Galaxy Charging current app right now. My battery is 85% charged and the app says the current is 640 ma. I'm using a cable that came with my Nexus 7 and a high speed charging port on my usb hub.

Arnaldur Bjarnason

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
As there are obviously people experiencing these problems, don't refute them.

I have a similar problem. I find the supplementary ~0.9m charging cable way too short and thus I purchased an aftermarket Vivanco 1.8m cable that seemed like a more adequate length (for charging while using). The connector cost 20 bucks which is a lot, even for the very expensive Iceland, but it looks well built and has gold plated contacts (useless but doesn't hurt). Still when connected to the included charger it doesn't connect unless held at a specific angle and even so, non-reliably.

my question is, has anyone made a similar situation work or found an alternate solution?

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site

After reading through this thread, the primary lesson to be learned seems to be, don't try to use crappy after-market USB cables with your phone (or anything else, for that matter). The weight of evidence appears to substantiate that good-quality cables will work fine.

CN7

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site

After reading through this thread, the primary lesson to be learned seems to be, don't try to use crappy after-market USB cables with your phone (or anything else, for that matter). The weight of evidence appears to substantiate that good-quality cables will work fine.

IMHO, this has nothing to do with the "quality" of the cables. It has to do with "differently made" cables.

Here is my story:

Bought "original" Samsung microUSB cables for S4 off of eBay. Total BS.

The real, original cables that come with the box have a larger hole on the microUSB side, and at least on my cable, the white one that comes with the S4, it only has 4 pins, due to some funky Samsung reason, which may include what has been previously explained before. IMHO, the reason they do this though is to actually protect the device from other weirdo chargers that could damage the phone, since the S4 does in-fact quick-charge at 1900mA vs many other devices that work off of only 1000mA.

Now, I am worried about using any cable than the original one because my cousin damaged their microUSB jack on the S4 using aftermarket cables. Think about it.. all those cable that are a "tight fit" are REALLY TIGHT. you have to push in and pull out the cable with several times the force needed to pull out the original cable. The original cable pulls out VERY easily in comparison.

Why does this matter? Well, not only are you being forceful with the microUSB jack on the Samsung S4 by pulling the cable in and out but... lets say you drop it, the cable gets yanked on, you accidentally pull the device further than the cable length, or whatever.. When that happens, using the original cable, the cable could just pull out. On the other hand, other cables put a lot of stress on the little tiny connector inside the jack. Over time, this could kill the jack.

Now about charging speed, I did get a Samsung "lookalike" cable (probably fake) that did in-fact charge directly from the original Samsung charger at 1900 mA. HOWEVER, in other scenarios, it didn't perform exactly the same. One example is that, using a USB cord extender, the original cable actually lost power only getting like 900 mA, while the aftermarket one got 720 mA through the same USB extension cable. I tried this several times back and forth just to make sure and all tests were identical, showing different performance for both cables.

Why does this matter? The aftermarket cable was only 3ft, so I HAD TO use the USB cable extension (a nuisance in itself). Not only that, if I can't make sure the cable is 100% safe, I fear that over time, if my S4 isn't getting the right or consistent juice, other problems will develop. This happened with my old LG (also Korean) phone, where the screen would go all nuts until I unplugged it, a phenomena that I think ultimately damaged my phone.

So.. What am I irate about now? I CANNOT FIND THE ORIGINAL SAMSUNG CABLES (just like the one that came in the box) FOR SALE (on their own) ANYWHERE!
I thought I found one, but when it came in the mail, it wasn't the same one pictured in the listing! Instead of having the grooved little sheath thing that protects the connection between the actual connector and and the actual cable, it was just a smooth tube... basically, I got scammed again.

However... One still get the original cable... HOWEVER, it must be purchased with the adapter as well (and probably directly from SAMSUNG or and authorized retailer) for the humble price of $39.99! They don't sell the cable separately on their site. Whaddaya know, even the link their tech support chat sent me was for the cable AND charger... Well...... I HAVE 3 SAMSUNG CHARGERS ALREADY. I DON'T NEED ANOTHER STINKING CHARGER. Just a simple, genuine SAMSUNG, USB cable... Just like the one that came in the box and I'll be happy thankyouverymuch.

Oh yeah, and eBay sellers, don't send cables that don't look like the ones in the picture... And if you are selling a REAL S4 cable, go ahead and post macro pictures of the end of the microUSB connectors and call out all those other fake sellers. Thanks.

Have a nice day people looking for official S4 cables. ;)