Galaxy S4 - Which waterproof case? Obex or Lifeproof?

doptician

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,
I was one of the first to order the Fre case when it came out. I had been expectantly waiting and when I finally got it, I had a hard time waiting the 30 minutes for the water test. With that out of the way, putting the case is fairly easy if you follow instructions. The case does not add bulk which is a huge plus because i never carry a purse. Excited about my new case, I made first call to my husband and he had a hard time hearing me. I was told I sounded like I had my mouth covered, also told it sounded like I was under water. I have a business and I can't afford to have bad connections during a call. I called Lifeproof and they were very graceful to send me a second case, received today and first it didn't pass the water test but I realized I had left a notch open. Try again and bingo! no water leaks. Excited, I put my phone in and within 1 hour, had to revert back to my old case. Same problem. This one here I think is worse because I'm having a hard time hearing the people and they're having a hard time hearing me...very disappointed, I really wanted this to work but I will be calling back tomorrow to arrange sending this back and getting a refund.
Great case, great customer service but this case needs improvement. Lots of it.

jhayrow

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
I have recently purchased the lifeproof nuud case I followed all instruction and even did the water test but when I actually put my phone in the case it failed and let water inside. After talking to tech support they say they will not fix my phone all they will do is give me a new case wich isn't very useful because my phone is not working. All over the package it says that it is fully submersible but mine failed after about ten seconds in the sink. If anybody is planning to get a lifeproof case I would advise them strongly not to because they are unreliable.

bharding08

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Had one for my iPhone 5 it was good except you couldn't make calls with it unless you open the charging port. For some reason whenever I did that people could hear me. In my book if I'm gonna spend that kind of money on a case. You should be able to make a phone call with no hassles.

Posted via Android Central App

Indiana Rogan

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I purchased my Lifeproof case for my S4 at Christmas this year. I had the same issues as pretty much everyone here. People can't hear me, Proximity sensor not working. I have contacted Lifeproof only to get the same speil. Blow into the mic hole. Yada yada. I also run a business so my phone is absolute money to me. I have found the answer to the voice quality is to take a sharp knife and poke a hole in the membrane of the microphone port and cut the earpiece protector off. My phone works great now. Unfortunately, no longer waterproof. Yes, for $89 it was a shame that I had to do this but considering that I work in construction, I required a case immediately and damage to my phone was not an option. Waiting for someone there to resolve this was also not an option. I would not recommend this product for the S4.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
the hole you speak in people can barley here you have to yell into the phone so u can talk to people

Welcome to the forums!
What are you talking about? If you don't mind me asking. :confused::what: 😆

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

Last edited:

benass49

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I've got the Lifeproof Fre and I've been happy with it. Multiple submersions and drops and no damage to my phone whatsoever.

One problem I have, though, is with the headphone adapter and cover. The adapter's O-ring immediately fell out and was lost, which in the end isn't a big deal to me because I don't listen to music while underwater. However the adapter is extremely difficult to pull out of the case, to the point where I accidentally pulled the headphone jack cover out (it's rubber).
Now, because I use it so much, the headphone jack cover is starting to rip and I think it's only a matter of time before it's completely torn. I don't want to have to send it in... so I figured while I was on here... anyone know of any replacements I could get?

Posted via Android Central App

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello benas, my brother has the same case and problem as you do, unfortunately I don't have an answer for your question.

I guess a claim to lifeproof to see if they'll replace it.

Darren Stucker

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey I really looked into both of these cases and I settled for the obex for the following reasons:
Be different, everyone goes lifeproof so I wanted something different
Obex is very thin and yet heavy duty at the same time
Lifeproof has a very distinct edge around the screen so drop down menus are sometimes hard to grasp
Personally all the lifeproof cases look funny to me

I had this case for about 3 months and so far I dropped it many times and use it with water all the time. I really like that its plastic mostly so it slides in your pocket well but it has a rubber around the side so holding it is comfortable. I dont have much to say about it, it lives up to what it says it does you can drop it, throw it in water, throw ur head phones in use it, and then get a call because i cant even notice a difference in sound quality. If you have any unique questions ask me.

Peyton Perry

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi! Do you know anything concerning the Obex warranty (as I know the lifeproof has pretty good warranty)? Also, did the Obex affect the photo quality??

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi! Do you know anything concerning the Obex warranty (as I know the lifeproof has pretty good warranty)? Also, did the Obex affect the photo quality??

Welcome to the forums!
I'm not familiar with the Obex warranty, but if you go to their website you should find that info. Good luck!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a question. Can I use a screen protector with the LifeProof Nuud? Or, for a proper use, the screen must be naked?

Hello and welcome to the forums!
According to the representative I spoke with from lifeproof; there's no problem as long as the screen protector is thin. But they recommend you use their product as intended: which is naked.

sipemopo92

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums!
According to the representative I spoke with from lifeproof; there's no problem as long as the screen protector is thin. But they recommend you use their product as intended: which is naked.

Thanks for the answer.
I have another question. Has anyone the case Dog&Bone Wetsuit? Opinion?

bho1026

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
I have used the lifeproof fre and it was ok but the part where the charging port door broke. Thinking about the incipio atlas does anyone have one or have any opinions on it.