Galaxy S4 - Which waterproof case? Obex or Lifeproof?

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I had it for my iPhone 5 and no problems. The obex for my s4 has no problems. It adds some bulk tho, but I can use my phone whenever :)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have the lifeproof for my iphone 5 also and it is top notch. My wife has one for her S3 and it was fine at the beach and pool side this summer. Just wondering if anyone has tried the lifeproof S4 case yet.

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I saw a video review for the Nuud and it didn't look too bad. I'm waiting to see more reviews before I purchase it myself. I'd hate to spend $80-90 on it just to find out it has issues like the Fre did last year when they released it for the iPhone 5.

backfat1982

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Any experiences yet with the lifeproof?
I have had the S4 Lifeproof Nuud case for about a week now. I got this due to the fact that i had a Lifeproof on a iPhone and had zero problems and my phone looked brand new after 2 years. The case for the S4 looks and feels great. I'm having issues with hearing from the ear speaker on calls which is very annoying. I called customer service and they are sending me a new case. I have heard of other people having this issue with the iPhone cases. Customer service told me that the diaphragm gets stuck occasionally and causes the noise issue. They also sent me a troubleshoot procedure to do myself to try and release the diaphragm which did not work. I'm really hoping i don't have the same issue with the new one as im really hoping this case can perform like the one i had for the iPhone......I will update after i receive the new case.

- - - Updated - - -

I saw a video review for the Nuud and it didn't look too bad. I'm waiting to see more reviews before I purchase it myself. I'd hate to spend $80-90 on it just to find out it has issues like the Fre did last year when they released it for the iPhone 5.
what kind of issues did the fre case have?

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I have had the S4 Lifeproof Nuud case for about a week now. I got this due to the fact that i had a Lifeproof on a iPhone and had zero problems and my phone looked brand new after 2 years. The case for the S4 looks and feels great. I'm having issues with hearing from the ear speaker on calls which is very annoying. I called customer service and they are sending me a new case. I have heard of other people having this issue with the iPhone cases. Customer service told me that the diaphragm gets stuck occasionally and causes the noise issue. They also sent me a troubleshoot procedure to do myself to try and release the diaphragm which did not work. I'm really hoping i don't have the same issue with the new one as im really hoping this case can perform like the one i had for the iPhone......I will update after i receive the new case.

- - - Updated - - -

what kind of issues did the fre case have?

I couldn't make a phone call without a high-pitched squealing sound in my ear. It was like feedback you get in a speaker but the case was causing it. It was weird! But since then I purchased a colored case a few months later and it had no problems. It renewed my faith in the company but I'm still iffy about buying an s4 case til I know for sure there are no problems.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
So far I'm pretty impressed, feels and looks great. Definitely a case i dont plan on taking of my phone soon. As for sound i can't really comment to much on because I've only made one call since then and they told me i sounded ok, not great but ok. What i like a lot is the feel of the home button. Feels really good at the press. :thumbup::D

From my Sammy Galaxy S4 :D

lgdiaz68

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S4 Lifeproof case doesn't work

My husband and I ordered 2 lifeproof fre cases for our galaxy s4. We got them the first week the cases came out. Loved the case but you couldn't hear the person on the cell using the case. It happened with both cases on both phones. The gasket at the microphone (which is a very small hole) muffles the person's voice. We returned the cases and Lifeproof sent two more....same thing. So we informed the company that it must be a defect and something has to change for it to be usable for the galaxy s4. I think we were the first to receive and complain about them. So we bought different cases for now and hopefully the company will figure out something to fix the case.

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I got the Lifeproof nuud and I only have 1 minor problem with it! My proximity sensor doesn't work as well anymore. I don't know if maybe I installed it wrong or something. But I contacted them about it via email since I haven't had a free couple of minutes yet to call. The only other thing I couldn't do is install the screen protector that came with it. I think I prefer it without one anyways. But I prefer this over the Obex case I have. Sounds are much clearer now and my photos are clear also. With the Obex my photos were always hazy and I couldn't fix it even with a replacement.

beperry1

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had the obex (2x), 2 nuuds, and I have a fre coming now. I have been very underwhelmed with either case so far.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

CYVERTURBO

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
I have the Lifeproof N??d for 3 weeks now and the rubber plastic cover for the phone jack already fall off ! And all my calls sound terrible , all my family and friends are complaining that my phone sounds horrible !! My wife has the case for the iPhone and is has perfect sound and construction, very good quality case !! I don't think Lifeproof put the enough effort to made the case for de Samsung platform!! What you guys think about it??

Posted via Android Central App

lgdiaz68

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Cyverturbo see my post at lgdiaz68. My husband and I ordered these and the construction is terrible in regard to the microphone. The person on the other end can't hear you. We informed Lifeproof that they need to work it out (we ordered 4 of them and all didn't work). If anyone gets one that works whereas you can be heard perfectly clear let me know!

mtroublex2

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I have had the Obex since it came out for galaxy S4. No difference in sound, no problems at all. Have been in water and fine. Also dropped it, would have broken the phone without the cover, just a couple minor scrapes on case. Not even noticeable and phone was safe. I just wish there was a desk charger for it and a kickstand. I researched both before choosing the Obex. Very Happy!!!

Candroided

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I bought the OBEX a couple of months ago. Its a great case except for the fact the speaker phone doesn't work with the case on. I'm not talking about a little noise disturbance, I mean it sounds absolutely horrible. The person on the other line hears a ton of echos and the on my side I can't make out what they are saying at all. All other sounds work great, music and movies sound great, the regular phone sounds good, but the speaker phone is feeding back on itself. The first time it happened, I thought it was just a bad connection. I decided to test it with several friends from several locations, and without a single doubt, its the case. Once I took of the case and speaker phone works great, but the case back on, the same problem occurs. Aside from the the case has been great. Its definitely waterproof. I like the sleek design (for a waterproof case) and would otherwise recommend it. However for $80, the speaker phone should work. I'm definitely disappointed. :mad:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995