Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S4 - Which waterproof case? Obex or Lifeproof?

Any experiences yet with the lifeproof?
    Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2

Default Re: Which waterproof case? Obex or Lifeproof?

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    Water Damage
    jhayrow likes this.

Default Re: Galaxy S4 - Which waterproof case? Obex or Lifeproof?

I had it for my iPhone 5 and no problems. The obex for my s4 has no problems. It adds some bulk tho, but I can use my phone whenever

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I have the lifeproof for my iphone 5 also and it is top notch. My wife has one for her S3 and it was fine at the beach and pool side this summer. Just wondering if anyone has tried the lifeproof S4 case yet.
    Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2
    Lexie Marburger likes this.

I saw a video review for the Nuud and it didn't look too bad. I'm waiting to see more reviews before I purchase it myself. I'd hate to spend $80-90 on it just to find out it has issues like the Fre did last year when they released it for the iPhone 5.

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    I have had the S4 Lifeproof Nuud case for about a week now. I got this due to the fact that i had a Lifeproof on a iPhone and had zero problems and my phone looked brand new after 2 years. The case for the S4 looks and feels great. I'm having issues with hearing from the ear speaker on calls which is very annoying. I called customer service and they are sending me a new case. I have heard of other people having this issue with the iPhone cases. Customer service told me that the diaphragm gets stuck occasionally and causes the noise issue. They also sent me a troubleshoot procedure to do myself to try and release the diaphragm which did not work. I'm really hoping i don't have the same issue with the new one as im really hoping this case can perform like the one i had for the iPhone......I will update after i receive the new case.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jaleesag88 View Post
    I saw a video review for the Nuud and it didn't look too bad. I'm waiting to see more reviews before I purchase it myself. I'd hate to spend $80-90 on it just to find out it has issues like the Fre did last year when they released it for the iPhone 5.
    what kind of issues did the fre case have?

Quote Originally Posted by backfat1982 View Post
    I have had the S4 Lifeproof Nuud case for about a week now. I got this due to the fact that i had a Lifeproof on a iPhone and had zero problems and my phone looked brand new after 2 years. The case for the S4 looks and feels great. I'm having issues with hearing from the ear speaker on calls which is very annoying. I called customer service and they are sending me a new case. I have heard of other people having this issue with the iPhone cases. Customer service told me that the diaphragm gets stuck occasionally and causes the noise issue. They also sent me a troubleshoot procedure to do myself to try and release the diaphragm which did not work. I'm really hoping i don't have the same issue with the new one as im really hoping this case can perform like the one i had for the iPhone......I will update after i receive the new case.

- - - Updated - - -

what kind of issues did the fre case have?
    I couldn't make a phone call without a high-pitched squealing sound in my ear. It was like feedback you get in a speaker but the case was causing it. It was weird! But since then I purchased a colored case a few months later and it had no problems. It renewed my faith in the company but I'm still iffy about buying an s4 case til I know for sure there are no problems.

Global Posts
    1,797 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Getting my Obex tomorrow. Ill let you guys know how it is.

From my Sammy Galaxy S4

Is there a holster for the obex?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by SenseMonkey View Post
    Getting my Obex tomorrow. Ill let you guys know how it is.

From my Sammy Galaxy S4
    Please do.....If i still have sound issues with this new case I will be leaning towards getting he Obex.

Global Posts
    1,797 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

So far I'm pretty impressed, feels and looks great. Definitely a case i dont plan on taking of my phone soon. As for sound i can't really comment to much on because I've only made one call since then and they told me i sounded ok, not great but ok. What i like a lot is the feel of the home button. Feels really good at the press. :thumbup:

From my Sammy Galaxy S4

How's the Obex?

Received my new Nuud case and it leaks water. Getting frustrated with this case, might be time to move on.

Default Re: Galaxy S4 Lifeproof case doesn't work

My husband and I ordered 2 lifeproof fre cases for our galaxy s4. We got them the first week the cases came out. Loved the case but you couldn't hear the person on the cell using the case. It happened with both cases on both phones. The gasket at the microphone (which is a very small hole) muffles the person's voice. We returned the cases and Lifeproof sent two more....same thing. So we informed the company that it must be a defect and something has to change for it to be usable for the galaxy s4. I think we were the first to receive and complain about them. So we bought different cases for now and hopefully the company will figure out something to fix the case.
    Thanked by:

I got the Lifeproof nuud and I only have 1 minor problem with it! My proximity sensor doesn't work as well anymore. I don't know if maybe I installed it wrong or something. But I contacted them about it via email since I haven't had a free couple of minutes yet to call. The only other thing I couldn't do is install the screen protector that came with it. I think I prefer it without one anyways. But I prefer this over the Obex case I have. Sounds are much clearer now and my photos are clear also. With the Obex my photos were always hazy and I couldn't fix it even with a replacement.

bodum02 likes this.

I've had the obex (2x), 2 nuuds, and I have a fre coming now. I have been very underwhelmed with either case so far.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

I have the Lifeproof Nd for 3 weeks now and the rubber plastic cover for the phone jack already fall off ! And all my calls sound terrible , all my family and friends are complaining that my phone sounds horrible !! My wife has the case for the iPhone and is has perfect sound and construction, very good quality case !! I don't think Lifeproof put the enough effort to made the case for de Samsung platform!! What you guys think about it??

Posted via Android Central App

Cyverturbo see my post at lgdiaz68. My husband and I ordered these and the construction is terrible in regard to the microphone. The person on the other end can't hear you. We informed Lifeproof that they need to work it out (we ordered 4 of them and all didn't work). If anyone gets one that works whereas you can be heard perfectly clear let me know!

So how is the Obex doing. I am really up in the air on which one to order.. But need to do it soon..
    Thanks

I have had the Obex since it came out for galaxy S4. No difference in sound, no problems at all. Have been in water and fine. Also dropped it, would have broken the phone without the cover, just a couple minor scrapes on case. Not even noticeable and phone was safe. I just wish there was a desk charger for it and a kickstand. I researched both before choosing the Obex. Very Happy!!!

Thumbs down Re: Galaxy S4 - Which waterproof case? Obex or Lifeproof?

I bought the OBEX a couple of months ago. Its a great case except for the fact the speaker phone doesn't work with the case on. I'm not talking about a little noise disturbance, I mean it sounds absolutely horrible. The person on the other line hears a ton of echos and the on my side I can't make out what they are saying at all. All other sounds work great, music and movies sound great, the regular phone sounds good, but the speaker phone is feeding back on itself. The first time it happened, I thought it was just a bad connection. I decided to test it with several friends from several locations, and without a single doubt, its the case. Once I took of the case and speaker phone works great, but the case back on, the same problem occurs. Aside from the the case has been great. Its definitely waterproof. I like the sleek design (for a waterproof case) and would otherwise recommend it. However for $80, the speaker phone should work. I'm definitely disappointed.

Hi there,
    I was one of the first to order the Fre case when it came out. I had been expectantly waiting and when I finally got it, I had a hard time waiting the 30 minutes for the water test. With that out of the way, putting the case is fairly easy if you follow instructions. The case does not add bulk which is a huge plus because i never carry a purse. Excited about my new case, I made first call to my husband and he had a hard time hearing me. I was told I sounded like I had my mouth covered, also told it sounded like I was under water. I have a business and I can't afford to have bad connections during a call. I called Lifeproof and they were very graceful to send me a second case, received today and first it didn't pass the water test but I realized I had left a notch open. Try again and bingo! no water leaks. Excited, I put my phone in and within 1 hour, had to revert back to my old case. Same problem. This one here I think is worse because I'm having a hard time hearing the people and they're having a hard time hearing me...very disappointed, I really wanted this to work but I will be calling back tomorrow to arrange sending this back and getting a refund.
    Great case, great customer service but this case needs improvement. Lots of it.

I have recently purchased the lifeproof nuud case I followed all instruction and even did the water test but when I actually put my phone in the case it failed and let water inside. After talking to tech support they say they will not fix my phone all they will do is give me a new case wich isn't very useful because my phone is not working. All over the package it says that it is fully submersible but mine failed after about ten seconds in the sink. If anybody is planning to get a lifeproof case I would advise them strongly not to because they are unreliable.

Had one for my iPhone 5 it was good except you couldn't make calls with it unless you open the charging port. For some reason whenever I did that people could hear me. In my book if I'm gonna spend that kind of money on a case. You should be able to make a phone call with no hassles.

Posted via Android Central App

I purchased my Lifeproof case for my S4 at Christmas this year. I had the same issues as pretty much everyone here. People can't hear me, Proximity sensor not working. I have contacted Lifeproof only to get the same speil. Blow into the mic hole. Yada yada. I also run a business so my phone is absolute money to me. I have found the answer to the voice quality is to take a sharp knife and poke a hole in the membrane of the microphone port and cut the earpiece protector off. My phone works great now. Unfortunately, no longer waterproof. Yes, for $89 it was a shame that I had to do this but considering that I work in construction, I required a case immediately and damage to my phone was not an option. Waiting for someone there to resolve this was also not an option. I would not recommend this product for the S4.

Global Posts
    6,263 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

My brother got the lifeproof frē and he's very happy with it.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast