Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Haalcyon
  • 1 Post By li2327
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do I REALLY need a screen protector?

my screen protector seems unnecessary to me. It's also scratched, I do not think that there would be scratches on it if there was no screen protector since the protector is plastic ish. I'm using the oem Verizon Sven protector, whichever one that is.

"All I wanna do is a boom boom boom and a zoom zoom zoom"
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,395 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Default Re: Do I REALLY need a screen protector?

No reason not to use one. It's not like they cost a lot. Better safe than sorry.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    6,689 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

I don't have one on mine, and all I have is a few minor scratches, only visible in direct sunlight. Even then, you'd have to look at it from the right angle. I tried using a screen protector but I didn't like how the screen felt, so I took it off

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

After using my spigen glastr, I won't be going back to plastic whenever possible. If you feel like investing $30, go and buy it on Amazon. It feels great and has a really nice oleophobic coating. I prefer the thicker glast r slim rather than the glastr nano slim because it gives a little bit of extra protection and has a more premium/high quality feel to it. It's also pretty scratch resistant and if it does scratch by any chance, it's just a screen protector.

edit: it's actually only $21 on Amazon.

Just like a case, it's a matter of preference and risk tolerance. It may protect your phone from certain events. If screen protector gets damaged (but not screen), it can be easily replaced. There's also a "comfort" factor if it helps you avoid being nervous handling your phone.

Not all screen protectors are created equall... by a longshot. The $5 pack with three screen protectors at walmart is junk. The wet applied screen protectors are much better. I have a Zag.. cost about $20 I think. You can't tell it's there.

Global Posts
    923 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gingerbread Deck, Matrix

All it takes is a grain of sand or something equally hard to scratch the gorilla glass screen. I use one on mine to keep the resale value up

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Razr>Juke>POS Blitz(Broken)>Droid> Epic 4g(returned)>Nexus S 4g

I thought hard about screen protectors. I'd used the cheap ones on my previous phone, and they were a pain to put on. I considered getting one of the Spigen glass ones, despite the expense. But I have so much trouble putting protectors on that I didn't want to take a chance on lousing up a $30 one. I looked into cases too, and ended up getting a shell/holster combo at a Verizon store. It's got enough of a lip around the screen to protect it from most incidents and is tough enough for my occasional floor drops. I love the S4 screen, both its look and its feel, and I'm glad not to have anything between me and it. All that said, though, I don't use the phone outdoors much or in other more hazardous environments. Where and how you use it is a big factor.

Global Posts
    6,283 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I would recommend a screen protector. Gorilla glass only makes your screen more scratch "resistant", not scratch proof at all. I would look into a tempered glass screen protector from Body Gaurdz, ZNitro, or Spigen's glass T.r to preserve your screen clarity and feel.

Sent from my iRiidium rMini LTE
    Live long and prosper.

The tempered glass ones are seriously amazing! Totally recommend it. I don't fret over scratching my screen and it feels awesome.

Global Posts
    6,283 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Kolten Nay View Post
    The tempered glass ones are seriously amazing! Totally recommend it. I don't fret over scratching my screen and it feels awesome.

Amen! While I'm a big fan of Zagg's Invisible Shield I just love the tempered glass screen protectors.

Sent from my iridium iPad Air LTE 
    Live long and prosper.

Thanked by:
    cliro 

Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    ROM
    .215 Leak

If you want to keep your phone scratch free I would definitely use one. I have always had a really good experience invite Zaggs.
    Join the Verizon 4G LTE SpeedWave @ SpeedTest.net and compare your results! - http://www.speedtest.net/wave/fb2f5d2379263d67

Have had a Zagg on my S3 since day one , 17 months ago. Between that and my Acase my phone still looks as new.

Global Posts
    6,283 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bell View Post
    Have had a Zagg on my S3 since day one , 17 months ago. Between that and my Acase my phone still looks as new.

Yeahps, Zagg will do that.

Sent from my Titanium 5s 32
    Live long and prosper.

Rick Bell likes this.

Invisibleshield by Zagg now has the glass screen protector for s4. Be sure to register so you can get lifetime replacements as needed!
    My new glass Zagg came today! Very happy. One of my cases has slots for credit cards. I noticed little imprints on my last Zagg Invisibleshield. Makes me wonder 'what if' had it not been on. After changing cases... Wee hoo! The Zagg corrected it's indents and looks brand new.
    I love the feeling of gorilla glass, but the new glass shield is like nearly naked! I would rather spend a little extra and keep an expensive phone looking like new after a couple of years of use without worrying over scratches and unexpected bumps.
    Last edited by bodum02; 03-22-2014 at 07:24 AM.

Agree with the rest Zagg invisshield glass is sweet.looks feel just like original screen and hasnt got a scratch on it. Must have.

I would definitely recommend using one. I bought a cheap $5 one at my local mall at a kiosk and had them put it in for me. You can't even tell there's on on there.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using AC Forums mobile app
    Haalcyon likes this.