Do I REALLY need a screen protector?

owensch1

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
my screen protector seems unnecessary to me. It's also scratched, I do not think that there would be scratches on it if there was no screen protector since the protector is plastic ish. I'm using the oem Verizon Sven protector, whichever one that is.

"All I wanna do is a boom boom boom and a zoom zoom zoom"

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
No reason not to use one. It's not like they cost a lot. Better safe than sorry.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't have one on mine, and all I have is a few minor scratches, only visible in direct sunlight. Even then, you'd have to look at it from the right angle. I tried using a screen protector but I didn't like how the screen felt, so I took it off

Posted via Android Central App

singjai

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
After using my spigen glastr, I won't be going back to plastic whenever possible. If you feel like investing $30, go and buy it on Amazon. It feels great and has a really nice oleophobic coating. I prefer the thicker glast r slim rather than the glastr nano slim because it gives a little bit of extra protection and has a more premium/high quality feel to it. It's also pretty scratch resistant and if it does scratch by any chance, it's just a screen protector.

edit: it's actually only $21 on Amazon.

electricpete

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Just like a case, it's a matter of preference and risk tolerance. It may protect your phone from certain events. If screen protector gets damaged (but not screen), it can be easily replaced. There's also a "comfort" factor if it helps you avoid being nervous handling your phone.

Not all screen protectors are created equall... by a longshot. The $5 pack with three screen protectors at walmart is junk. The wet applied screen protectors are much better. I have a Zag.. cost about $20 I think. You can't tell it's there.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
All it takes is a grain of sand or something equally hard to scratch the gorilla glass screen. I use one on mine to keep the resale value up

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I thought hard about screen protectors. I'd used the cheap ones on my previous phone, and they were a pain to put on. I considered getting one of the Spigen glass ones, despite the expense. But I have so much trouble putting protectors on that I didn't want to take a chance on lousing up a $30 one. I looked into cases too, and ended up getting a shell/holster combo at a Verizon store. It's got enough of a lip around the screen to protect it from most incidents and is tough enough for my occasional floor drops. I love the S4 screen, both its look and its feel, and I'm glad not to have anything between me and it. All that said, though, I don't use the phone outdoors much or in other more hazardous environments. Where and how you use it is a big factor.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I would recommend a screen protector. Gorilla glass only makes your screen more scratch "resistant", not scratch proof at all. I would look into a tempered glass screen protector from Body Gaurdz, ZNitro, or Spigen's glass T.r to preserve your screen clarity and feel.

Sent from my iRiidium rMini LTE

Kolten Nay

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
The tempered glass ones are seriously amazing! Totally recommend it. I don't fret over scratching my screen and it feels awesome.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The tempered glass ones are seriously amazing! Totally recommend it. I don't fret over scratching my screen and it feels awesome.

Amen! While I'm a big fan of Zagg's Invisible Shield I just love the tempered glass screen protectors.

Sent from my iridium iPad Air LTE 

Optid

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
If you want to keep your phone scratch free I would definitely use one. I have always had a really good experience invite Zaggs.

anon(6142785)

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Have had a Zagg on my S3 since day one , 17 months ago. Between that and my Acase my phone still looks as new.

bodum02

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Invisibleshield by Zagg now has the glass screen protector for s4. Be sure to register so you can get lifetime replacements as needed!
My new glass Zagg came today! Very happy. One of my cases has slots for credit cards. I noticed little imprints on my last Zagg Invisibleshield. Makes me wonder 'what if' had it not been on. After changing cases... Wee hoo! The Zagg corrected it's indents and looks brand new.
I love the feeling of gorilla glass, but the new glass shield is like nearly naked! I would rather spend a little extra and keep an expensive phone looking like new after a couple of years of use without worrying over scratches and unexpected bumps.

Last edited:

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I would definitely recommend using one. I bought a cheap $5 one at my local mall at a kiosk and had them put it in for me. You can't even tell there's on on there.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci