What kind of SD card are you people using? (mine keep getting corrupted and erased)?

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
hey what kind of SD card are you using? I cant seem to find the right one. I just went through three in my galaxy s4. A 32gb sandisk (got corrupted and went blank AFTER WORKING FOR MONTHS). A 64gb class 10 sandisk (went blank and got corrupted in a few days, after the sandisk card). Then I just bought a Samsung 64gb class 10 sd card. I opened it and put it in the S4. I went to take a picture and it wouldnt save to the sd card. So i then went to "my files" and went through the sd card. It had a bunch of foreign symbols and stuff nobody could read. SO I backed out and went to the home page. Then boom my sd card went blank and was unreadable/corrupted. I took it out immediately after turning the phone off, and was finally able to format this one back to working condition (exFAT) on the computer. (all the other ones that got corrupted couldnt be saved; i had to toss them because they wouldnt format). So i took a picture off my computer and put it on the SD card and it worked. I then took the SD card (samsung 64gb class 10) and for the first time put in my galaxy tab 3 10.1. I was able to view the picture i took off my computer. Then i took 4 videos on the tablet. They saved, i was able to view them. Then while watching the 4th video i just made, it all of a sudden said that the video couldnt be played. SO I went to the home screen, and BOOM, my SD card went blank on my tablet?! I hooked it up to my computer just now and had to re format it again. That's twice in one day between the S4 and the Galaxy tab 3. Ive been dealing with this problem for quite sometime between the two devices. They both eat my sd cards and i cant find one that works. Is the 64gb card just tooooo much for them to handle or do they have to formated a special way (right now its exFat32)? Someone told me they have to be NFTS, so im trying that now.... I'm thinking of trying a samsung 32gb class 10 next? what do you guys think? Ive never had problems with a samsung 8gb class whatever card but thats just too small. I like music and taking videos and can download thousands of songs in one day.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there's a good answer for you, because the problem probably isn't with the individual SD card--the problem is probably the device itself and how the SD card support has been set up. There are many many threads in these forums about SD card problems (primarily in Samsung devices), ranging from corruption to data loss to incompatibility. Remember that there actually is no native support for external SD card with vanilla Android--devices that do support external SD cards have code modified by the manufacturer to do so, and sometimes it doesn't work out so well.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I also wonder if you bought the cards on eBay? There's a vast majority of cards sold on eBay which are counterfeits. They may have a 4 GB capacity but be sold as much higher capacity.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

dctokyo

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks B. Diddy, that is a good app to know about.

Best way is to let the phone itself format your card. It will be in the right format.
How To Format Your SD Card (for Android) video
How To Format Your SD Card (for Android) - YouTube

That's true. SD Insight is an app that can give you details about your SD card, and tell you if it's what it was advertised as.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../details?id=com.humanlogic.sdi&token=juKcYkfX

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Tahoe916

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I dealt with SD card issues for months, 1-2 times a week it would say my card had been dismounted. I'd have to power down and back on again it to get it working again. It was a 64GB SanDisk Ultra XC1 I bought at the same time as my phone. I even tried reformatting it from the Galaxy S4 menus. A little over two months ago based upon good reviews on Amazon, I ordered a Sony card, and it's been rock solid, not even a single problem. The one I got is called "Sony 64GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1". Maybe I just had a bad card but I thought I had seen quite a few others that had problems with SanDisk.

xmostwanted559x

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I habe a 64gb SanDisk class 10 for my tab 3 with no problems. If I was to get a S4 what sdcard would be best to avoid corruption. Is it matter of people buying online counterfeits or brand of card or hardware issue

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I habe a 64gb SanDisk class 10 for my tab 3 with no problems. If I was to get a S4 what sdcard would be best to avoid corruption. Is it matter of people buying online counterfeits or brand of card or hardware issue

They counterfeit all the brands. The cards are small capacity and cheaply made but they look genuine to the eye, unless you compare them side by side with a genuine card. The best protection is to buy from a reputable store like Best Buy where they don't knowingly sell counterfeits.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I purchase a couple SD cards a while back that were brand name! After handling one of them a couple times the name became smeared and rubbed off! I am sure that was a fake! It was a 64 GB and it failed completely. I could not even recognize it with a couple different card readers or the one built into my computer!