Screen Quality (Active's TFT vs S4's AMOLED)

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Are there any in depth reviews of the S4 Active's screen yet?

I saw the S4 Active briefly at the AT&T store and compared it with the regular S4. The LCD did seem brighter.

The Active had less saturated colors. Some faint details sowed better, like the clouds in the weather widget and the orange on orange AT&T wireless icon.

But angle of view seemed less stable than here S4 AMOLED (color/white washes out a bit at several angles).

Also, is it my imagination, or did black text on white seemed a bit lighter, less sharp, (less contrast?) than the main S4. Almost had to make the Active brighter to get the text to stand out as much.

Last edited:

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Screen Quality (TFT vs AMOLED)

I own both a HTC one and a Samsung Active. The reason for the active purchase was I work in the catering business, and constantly am spilling on myself, have stuff on my hands, etc. I did a quick side by side with the s4. It's really a tough call. I think in certain situations amoled does loook nicer, but the marketing behind the active is more an outdoor phone. Amoled in direct sunlight proves very difficult to see. Just a personal preference I am drawn to LCD over amoled
Sometimes the saturation and contrast is just far too much. But, I will agree the s4 active brightness needs to be cranked up to appreciate the sharpness. Going with dynamic display also increases saturation.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

I own both a HTC one and a Samsung Active. ... I did a quick side by side with the s4. It's really a tough call. I think in certain situations amoled does loook nicer...
The Active is also LCD like the One, right. When you say, amoled, you mean the original S4?

How is the viewing angle and clarity of the Active vs the One?

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

The Active is also LCD like the One, right. When you say, amoled, you mean the original S4?

How is the viewing angle and clarity of the Active vs the One?

They are too close to call. ( I have HTC one, active and wife has s4). Being that active is 5" LCD....

Active > one > s4

Sent From My Galaxy S4 Active using a Tapatalk 4

chuckie1971

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

I am really, really interested in the screen quality between the S4 and S4 Active. I live and work outside in Phoenix, AZ and have always had a problem with not being able to see my phones screen in the sunlight. Which phone is better in screen viewing? I hope Android Central will do a complete review of the Active or maybe someone has a similar predicament of sunlight viewing and can recommend a good phone

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

I am really, really interested in the screen quality between the S4 and S4 Active. I live and work outside in Phoenix, AZ and have always had a problem with not being able to see my phones screen in the sunlight. Which phone is better in screen viewing? I hope Android Central will do a complete review of the Active or maybe someone has a similar predicament of sunlight viewing and can recommend a good phone

Brightness on the active is much better than the oled s4

Sent From My Galaxy S4 Active using a Tapatalk 4

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

seems like the active is brighter at the same setting. The lock screen wallpaper is just gorgeous! Not prepared to say it is better than my S4 just yet. Both are outstanding. I did notice the Active seemed to get warmer than my S4 but I was setting it up and charging...

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The screen washes out at different angles because its el cheap TFT. i guess samsung figures their customers will put up with just about anything. Also Samsung doesn't calibrate their screens so the colors look washed out anyway.

Are there any in depth reviews of the S4 Active's screen yet?

I saw the S4 Active briefly at the AT&T store and compared it with the regular S4. The LCD did seem brighter.

The Active had less saturated colors. Some faint details sowed better, like the clouds in the weather widget and the orange on orange AT&T wireless icon.

But angle of view seemed less stable than here S4 AMOLED (color/white washes out a bit at several angles).

Also, is it my imagination, or did black text on white seemed a bit lighter, less sharp, (less contrast?) than the main S4. Almost had to make the Active brighter to get the text to stand out as much.

deeddawg

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Side by side comparing different S4 Actives with S4's in-store all the S4's were a noticeably dimmer, warmer color-temp display. Both in text, websites, and photos. Very noticeable difference that was essentially the same across multiple units at multiple corp stores.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Side by side comparing different S4 Actives with S4's in-store all the S4's were a noticeably dimmer, warmer color-temp display. Both in text, websites, and photos. Very noticeable difference that was essentially the same across multiple units at multiple corp stores.

Looked that way to me too. But when dropping the Active's brightness to equivalent levels, the text seemed to be a bit harder to read than the S4's. Almost like it was thinner? Or just bless contrast?

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I had an S4 then got an active. I was planning on using a regular S4 as my dailey phone and the active when by the lake. I had a new upgrade avaliable on my business account yesterday so I went in to get a regular S4 and after looking at that dim *** screen I decided I would probably never use the standard S4 and didn't get it. The active is so much brighter and easier to see, especially outside

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

deeddawg

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Looked that way to me too. But when dropping the Active's brightness to equivalent levels, the text seemed to be a bit harder to read than the S4's. Almost like it was thinner? Or just bless contrast?

I didn't think to check that aspect, I will stop in and have a look again sometime. Maybe it has to do with the pixel substructure of the pentile AMOLED display?