S4 Active and audio volume/quality?

Mangan

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I read an interview that described the actives speakers (internal and loudspeaker) as a veritable nosedive. Can anyone confirm or deny that this is the case? I'm really looking forward to purchasing this phone, but audio quality is a big deal for me, and if it is as bad as stated in the review that would be a real dealbreaker. :confused:

And here is the review: Review: Samsung Galaxy S4 Active for AT&T (Phone Scoop)

Last edited:

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
As I responded to the article, mine is fine. I have the regular S4 and they are identical. I have not experienced any of what they describe. Now, I have only had it a few days, but so far, so good.

Mangan

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
The article mentioned the S4 actives rubber membranes as a possible reason for the difference between the two models, and reviewed the audio quality compared to the regular S4, so no, they are obviously not identical.

Mangan

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so you have active as well as the regular S4. Cool, I misunderstood. That's comforting. Hopefully the cell that was tested in the review was faulty somehow, even if that seems a bit unlikely.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
The reviews often conflict. Phonearena said " Whoa! The earpiece on the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active surely has to be one of the loudest we've tested recently. Even with its volume turned down, it delivers clear and natural voice tones. Sadly, the microphone isn't as good. On the other side of the line, our voice is loud, but sounds noticeably artificial." I have not experienced the mic issue noted by them, either. There are plenty of reviews that take issue with the regular S4's phone quality as well, while many say it is good. As I said, I have both phones and the sound the same to me. Perhaps with more use I will experience what was noted by the Phone Scoop reviewer. I generally trust and respect the Phone Scoop reviews and suspect there must have been something going on with their device.

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
The phone, like the regular GS4, absolutely needs a case the directs the sound from the speaker to its front. I'm thinking of building one myself since I don't like those expensive Element cases with carbon fiber decoration on them.

Jennagizer

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I have had this issue out of the box. I was just advised by Samsung tech support in Australia that they believe the sound issue could be resolved by a simple backup and reset. *Yet* to be tested since my screen cracked (and proceeded to spider crack over two days) on removing it from a flip case (the rubber surround not the hard plastic types) - which they will not cover under warranty (since the cover was not Samsung supplied), although I suspect (and so do 2 local repairers) was faulty to crack during cover removal.

You cannot simply replace the glass as with the S4 as Active does not have Gorilla Glass (funny, was advised otherwise by salesman - my fault for believing). If you do, there is serious risk the touch screen will not work or causing further damage in the repair, so, you must buy the LCD/Digitizer/Housing in one unit. A good 50% of the unit for more than half the cost of purchase of the new phone altogether...

Note: If you want a physical repair and unable to take it to your states repair centre (only in capital cities) then you are expected to courier your phone at $49.50 for a repair QUOTE. If you decide not to go ahead with their price at that time, they keep the $49.50. It is deducted from repair cost should you proceed but who knows if competitive with local repairers (local quotes around $340). Living 2 hrs south from Sydney I asked for a regional repair centre. I was advised of Granville.... not exactly regional. God help rural Samsung owners. THIS IS FOR ALL SAMSUNG MOBILE REPAIRS.

Do yourself a favour and consider another brand with better after sales service and support (better yet, a phone with no issues out of the box), with locations in your area or free postage as with Nokia, LG and some other phone brands have for me in the past (hence why I went the S4 active - water splashes etc). There were no approved repairers outside of Sydney in NSW

The Samsung S4 Active is a THROW AWAY when factoring cost to repair your purchase should any issues occur.

And for those who have only seen the fluffed up reviews around online IT IS NOT RUGGED. Tradies, look elsewhere!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance