Screw ATT corp. managers !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I went into a store trying to buy an Active outright. The rep told me they do not sell phones out of contract because it is "against their policy". I immediately told him that is bull**** and made him get his manager. His manager tells me the same thing and my rage meter is at an all time high. Sure I could've went to a different store but at this point I am pissed. I proceeded to tell him that I know that is not an ATT policy and to not give me the shpeel as if Im some clueless shmuck off the streets. I called ATT right infront of him and explained the situation. The phone rep wanted to speak to the manager so I handed him the phone. He proceeded to move away from me everytime I came closer to se what bull**** he was giving the rep. Once I got the phone back the rep tells me that the manager refused to do so because "I am not the primary account owner, and he did not know what I was going to do with the phone".

I am IRATE at this point. I told the ATT rep that is some lame-*** excuse. He didn't know if I am the primary account holder as he refused me as soon as I entered the store without running the account. Also, if I am buying the phone outright what am I going to do with the phone is none of his concern. 1 I am an ATT customer, 2. I am activating the phone at the damn store so what else can I do with it. The manager then tells me to try a different corp store. So I looked at him like looking at the biggest ***** which he was. I stomped him with saying "so your telling me that your "ATT policy" varies from corp. store to corp. store? Shouldn't it be the same everywhere? If I go to McDonald's and ask for a Big Mac will one tell me that they serve Whoppers and tell me to go to a different McDonald's?" I proceeded to curse him off as leaving.

The next day I phone ATT again and explain this to them. The retentions dpt. rep had no idea why the manager would do it. She gave me a promo for 6 months of free texts so I end up saving 180$. I went to a different corp store the next day and bought the phone without any problems.

My question is. Who freakin hires these idiots. How can they make up these rules and look at me with a smug face taking me for an ***** while lying to my face AND lying to the ATT phone rep.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Lol i understNd your anger but i think you need to sit down and take a deep breath

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
You have every right to be pissed because that is not the policy. I have purchased more that 5 or 6 phones at no commitment. I have started ordering them on line as it is much easier. I did buy the S4 Active at a store no commitment before returning it a week later. I have used the same sales rep for a while and send her customers when I can.

It is the managers job to manage the business long term and not in a short sighted way. Yeah they do not make anything off a no commitment sales but ATT loses money when they have to make things right for the customer. Some managers have no sight of the bigger picture or their role in it...

Anyways, glad you got your phone.

Last edited:

ICEmayne

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
That is bull! Did the manager even realize how dumb his "not our policy" excuse sounded for buying a phone outright? Common sense is what he lacked.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I went into a store trying to buy an Active outright. The rep told me they do not sell phones out of contract because it is "against their policy". I immediately told him that is bull**** and made him get his manager. His manager tells me the same thing and my rage meter is at an all time high. Sure I could've went to a different store but at this point I am pissed. I proceeded to tell him that I know that is not an ATT policy and to not give me the shpeel as if Im some clueless shmuck off the streets. I called ATT right infront of him and explained the situation. The phone rep wanted to speak to the manager so I handed him the phone. He proceeded to move away from me everytime I came closer to se what bull**** he was giving the rep. Once I got the phone back the rep tells me that the manager refused to do so because "I am not the primary account owner, and he did not know what I was going to do with the phone".

I am IRATE at this point. I told the ATT rep that is some lame-*** excuse. He didn't know if I am the primary account holder as he refused me as soon as I entered the store without running the account. Also, if I am buying the phone outright what am I going to do with the phone is none of his concern. 1 I am an ATT customer, 2. I am activating the phone at the damn store so what else can I do with it. The manager then tells me to try a different corp store. So I looked at him like looking at the biggest ***** which he was. I stomped him with saying "so your telling me that your "ATT policy" varies from corp. store to corp. store? Shouldn't it be the same everywhere? If I go to McDonald's and ask for a Big Mac will one tell me that they serve Whoppers and tell me to go to a different McDonald's?" I proceeded to curse him off as leaving.

The next day I phone ATT again and explain this to them. The retentions dpt. rep had no idea why the manager would do it. She gave me a promo for 6 months of free texts so I end up saving 180$. I went to a different corp store the next day and bought the phone without any problems.

My question is. Who freakin hires these idiots. How can they make up these rules and look at me with a smug face taking me for an ***** while lying to my face AND lying to the ATT phone rep.

It seems all wireless managers are clueless. I had an issue with my s4 home button after having it for 4 days and they didn't want to exchange it. The manager told me it was normal for the home button to make a popping sound when pressed. I proceeded to demonstrate on the live demo how it did not make a popping sound. They then told me I would need to contact Samsung! I told them how crazy that was and that they should cover the defect. The manager then asked me if I run a task killer. I told her no because they are counter productive and she proceeded to tell me that the button was popping due to my apps not being closed but if I would (wait for it) install advanced task killer it would stop popping! At this point I started laughing and walked out. I ended up contacting care and they overnighted me a replacement. Needless to say it was a pathetic display of management.

Sent from my GS4 running the Google Edition Rom

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
It seems all wireless managers are clueless. I had an issue with my s4 home button after having it for 4 days and they didn't want to exchange it. The manager told me it was normal for the home button to make a popping sound when pressed. I proceeded to demonstrate on the live demo how it did not make a popping sound. They then told me I would need to contact Samsung! I told them how crazy that was and that they should cover the defect. The manager then asked me if I run a task killer. I told her no because they are counter productive and she proceeded to tell me that the button was popping due to my apps not being closed but if I would (wait for it) install advanced task killer it would stop popping! At this point I started laughing and walked out. I ended up contacting care and they overnighted me a replacement. Needless to say it was a pathetic display of management.

Sent from my GS4 running the Google Edition Rom

Hahs that's too funny install an app and the button click will stop

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Wow lmao.

But yeah I just felt like ranting. It's crazy how retarded they are by thinking I'm the retarded one to accept whatever he said

Posted via Android Central App

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

This is pretty common. Some phones are not allowed to be sold off contact until a specific amount of days are up. I ran in to this all the time with every iPhone release. Not a huge deal. Find another store, as you did. I think your reaction was overboard.

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Are you b crazy. Over board? A manager at an att store which is supposed to be representing the company lied to my face about Atts policy.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
No its called arguing. And I have low tolerance for ***** assness. Should I have just accepted his bull****? No that's not how things get done.

Unfortunately I deal with customers like you every day in my store (yes, I manage a store). I find it, as well as most of the other managers in my district, amusing that you think that yelling, hollering and cursing us out gets things done. It doesn't. Nor do I bow to the requests of people like you when you act a fool. I could sit here and tell you that he lied to you, and maybe he did, maybe he didn't. I dont know. I can tell you that for my carrier, it is up to a district manager discretion if he/she chooses to hold off on off-contract sales for a certain period of days. I experienced it as I said above for every iPhone release up until the iPhone 5. You're problem is that you did not get what you wanted and you threw a hissy fit like my 6 year old. There are plenty of ways to go about looking for alternative results when you are not getting what you THINK you deserve. Like I said, I would have kicked you right out of my store had you carried on like that in front of me. We managers are more than happy to help out a customer, hell even bend a rule here and there, but not for those that show disrespect. Glad you got what you wanted (not really) but coming here and huffing and puffing over something that initially did not go your way and then boasting that you did finally get your way does not impress me in the least.

ThorsGrundle

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Well said sir. I like how there was no response, he was probably too busy cussing you out in front of his computer. I as well am a supervisor/manager/content writer for Tristar and deal with people like this who think that having a moody like a child and becoming aggressive towards another yields better results than someone who can control their anger and speak with you with civility will get. Some peoples children...

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't mean that gives you a right to act like a rude fool. You proceeding to "curse him off" while you leave does absolutely nothing. So yeah, you went overboard. Instead of acting like a grown man you had a tantrum.

That still doesn't excuse the fact that manager lied directly to his face about thier companies policy at a corporate store. Trandz if I were you I would call corporate and have that manager fired. What a **** poor way to run a business. He was clearly discriminating against you. This isn't a franchise store where the managers get to do whatever they want, this is a corporate store, directly owned by att. He is not allowed to "bend" company rules, let alone make up his own policies, all because his store didn't meet their quotas yet. You can always go to his superiors face to face and talk with them about it. He doesn't deserve to work there. As far as I'm concerned you had every right to act they way you did. Because obviously the civil approach wouldn't have worked with a beat around the bush blockhead like that.

All you other managers in this thread please feel free to jump on me. I am pursuing a bachelor's of business in computer science and had taken all of the business classes my high school offered before I graduated. So please go right on ahead and complain.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
That still doesn't excuse the fact that manager lied directly to his face about thier companies policy at a corporate store. Trandz if I were you I would call corporate and have that manager fired. What a **** poor way to run a business. He was clearly discriminating against you. This isn't a franchise store where the managers get to do whatever they want, this is a corporate store, directly owned by att. He is not allowed to "bend" company rules, let alone make up his own policies, all because his store didn't meet their quotas yet. You can always go to his superiors face to face and talk with them about it. He doesn't deserve to work there. As far as I'm concerned you had every right to act they way you did. Because obviously the civil approach wouldn't have worked with a beat around the bush blockhead like that.

All you other managers in this thread please feel free to jump on me. I am pursuing a bachelor's of business in computer science and had taken all of the business classes my high school offered before I graduated. So please go right on ahead and complain.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

And have him fired? You really think he has any kind of pull now? Nope, not one bit. And again, districts can have their own set of rules. Had the OP acted like a grown man and followed appropriate channels and not acted like the neanderthal he has made himself out to be during the confrontation, they sure, he very well could have followed up for some clarification. Now he has no say. If what he claims is true then there was a store full of other employees who watched this man act the way he did, all the while the manager most likely kept his cool but stuck to his guns.

He was clearly discriminating against him? Lol. No. When I have rules I have to follow, no matter what channel they come down from, I follow them... For everyone. Does that make me discriminatory? You dont know how many other people walked through thats door wanting the same thing and were turned down just like he was. Discrimination card... Get real. Saying he doesnt deserve to work there is utterly stupid just because this ONE guy comes here and throws around this story that most likely has more to it than what he is leading us to believe. It's always that way. I have had to deal with countless unpleasant customers who I have handled professionally and courteously every time. And I would say out of the ones who chose to "follow up" with corporate, almost all of them turn what happened completely around to try and benefit them.

You say "because obviously the civil approach wouldn't have worked". How the heck do you know. He'll never know now. And neither do you do please stop spouting nonsense.

Said it earlier and I will say it again. Maybe it is in the way each and every one of us are raised, but when you aren't getting your way on something, if it is really that important and if you feel like you are being done wrong, then act appropriately and follow up. By all means let the manager know that you feel like whatever it is isn't right and that you will follow up with some higher ups. It's okay to be frustrated and upset. But I see no excuse for yelling, screaming, name calling and condescending another because you aren't getting things "your way". When my 6 year old pulls this, he gets a time out and then gets talked to over the acceptable way to convey his feelings. I don't respond to tantrums from my 6 year old. Why would I from an adult man?

Good for you in taking all your "business classes" in high school. Really. But my 10 years of management experience as well as my degree in business speaks monumentally over your opinion. And you clearly proved that in some of the things you posted up above. Has you paid more attention to your classes you might see where the OP is wrong. There is no sense in beating this topic in the ground as much as it already has. I am not here to sway anyones attitude. I stated mine and what is done is done. I am moooooving along now.:cool:

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately I deal with customers like you every day in my store (yes, I manage a store). I find it, as well as most of the other managers in my district, amusing that you think that yelling, hollering and cursing us out gets things done. It doesn't. Nor do I bow to the requests of people like you when you act a fool. I could sit here and tell you that he lied to you, and maybe he did, maybe he didn't. I dont know. I can tell you that for my carrier, it is up to a district manager discretion if he/she chooses to hold off on off-contract sales for a certain period of days. I experienced it as I said above for every iPhone release up until the iPhone 5. You're problem is that you did not get what you wanted and you threw a hissy fit like my 6 year old. There are plenty of ways to go about looking for alternative results when you are not getting what you THINK you deserve. Like I said, I would have kicked you right out of my store had you carried on like that in front of me. We managers are more than happy to help out a customer, hell even bend a rule here and there, but not for those that show disrespect. Glad you got what you wanted (not really) but coming here and huffing and puffing over something that initially did not go your way and then boasting that you did finally get your way does not impress me in the least.

It should have never got to the manager. The store had the phone and a customer wanted to buy the phone. And the store denies him to "save" it for a contract renewal or new customer? A managers job is to keep all customers satisfied. That is what pays the salary.

So now Att in this case has to make the irate customer happy by paying him something. How does that help the company? And he still got his s4 active.

How about taking care of existing customers? It is not like the customer came in demanding something crazy like to pay full price for a phone. I bought my S4 active three days after it came out. As I recall, it had the no commitment price on the tag which means if a customer has the money, they should be able to buy the phone and not play some BS game. Who knows, they may have even had a few friends on other carriers who see the active and switch to Att.

Do what is right for the customer and you will be wildly successful. Posturing on who can put who in their place and the business always loses. Empower your sales reps to keep the customer's happy and you will all win.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sprint did something similar to me.. I wasn't happy when the corporate store wouldn't sell me the HTC One at full price.. I just left and got it on Amazon. I will most likely do this any other time I want to buy full price... No hassle, fast shipping, makes life easy.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
All the people on my side are saying exactly what I was thinking. I did keep calm at first. But when w manager has w smug look on his face while your still calm blatantly lying to my face taking me for an ***** sorry the crazy Russian in mewas ready to grab him by his collarquick.

Sorry if all of you well mannered individuals dint see it that way, but I was taught to never let your self be disrespected by anyone no matter how big they are. so to me the label of this guy being an att manager left my head. I saw some **** tard who is looking at me smirking while lying to my face because of his position.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
All the people on my side are saying exactly what I was thinking. I did keep calm at first. But when w manager has w smug look on his face while your still calm blatantly lying to my face taking me for an ***** sorry the crazy Russian in mewas ready to grab him by his collarquick.

Sorry if all of you well mannered individuals dint see it that way, but I was taught to never let your self be disrespected by anyone no matter how big they are. so to me the label of this guy being an att manager left my head. I saw some **** tard who is looking at me smirking while lying to my face because of his position.

I don't really think it's that we like being disrespected... I don't know anyone who does but to me it just seems like you must be new to big corps. I mean.. You can get mad.. The guy can be a Manger.. Big woop.. Means nothing. If they don't care then they will lie or whatever they want to your face... And... Not care. The only thing you can do is try and follow up with the corporation. Sure you cussed him out.. Left.. Without your device.. Then he had a great laugh with all his employees on how red your face was. So you gave him a good story to tell buddies while drinking and laughing at your expense especially since you didn't get what you raged about.

I am pretty sure that's what us calm people meant. Like I said take it as a lesson.. Most stores don't care about us customers (Comcast anyone?).. Order from a great place like Amazon and you won't have these issues and have great customer service.. You just have to wait a few days for it to ship is the only difference.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't really think it's that we like being disrespected... I don't know anyone who does but to me it just seems like you must be new to big corps. I mean.. You can get mad.. The guy can be a Manger.. Big woop.. Means nothing. If they don't care then they will lie or whatever they want to your face... And... Not care. The only thing you can do is try and follow up with the corporation. Sure you cussed him out.. Left.. Without your device.. Then he had a great laugh with all his employees on how red your face was. So you gave him a good story to tell buddies while drinking and laughing at your expense especially since you didn't get what you raged about.

I am pretty sure that's what us calm people meant. Like I said take it as a lesson.. Most stores don't care about us customers (Comcast anyone?).. Order from a great place like Amazon and you won't have these issues and have great customer service.. You just have to wait a few days for it to ship is the only difference.

Amazon is GREAT. I had a GoPro Hero 3 Black edition that did not arrive even through FedEx said it was delivered. I called Amazon, they sent me out another one and then a week later I got the original on in the mail (the box was beat up, looked like it went through hell). I called Amazon and they told me to keep it. Now I have 2! Comcast, don't get me started.

Nice post. You got it.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
The store reps make more money when they sell a contract, they get commission off signing upgrades or new lines. They don't make much commission off phones being sold out right. Ppl can act how every they want when they know what's right and wrong. When u get an idiotic manager like that they can **** ppl off to no end and deserve to loose there job for being so ignorant about these types of issues. I had a similar issue at t mobile. That's why I left them.

from what ever phone I feel like using today.

Status
Not open for further replies.